RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2106 cayenne gts. Suspension, even in comfort mode is quite harsh on city roads/speed-bumps (could be the lower profile on my 21's).

I test drove a 2019 Supercharged on the weekend with 22' wheels (higher profile than my 21's). Suspension was amazing and floated over speed bumps.

I know it's a subjective topic but any guidance would be grateful. Is the svr suspension significantly firmer than the Supercharged 5.0 or a cayenne gts (if someone has owned/driven both)?
Test driving a svr in Charlotte NC is impossible so i'm trying to get some insight on how any of the svr owners would describe their suspension thoughts prior to buying without a test drive.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
29 Posts
I have not driven anything other then a 2018 supercharged that I test drove for a short period of time and my 2018 SVR but I find it to be just fine. From what I remember the from the back to back test drive, the SVR was a little firmer then the Supercharged but nothing earth shattering. If I'm ever on a really bad road I just put the SVR into comfort mode and is fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also think the suspension on my 2018 SVR is really great and not too harsh. I had a 2010 Sport which was obviously much softer but I didn't find the move the firmer SVR uncomfortable at all. It really needs to be firm and not mushy to deliver the handling promised. I do have to drive on a bumpy road almost every day and I find Comfort is great for that and possibly Auto terrain mode is even smoother. I actually like Auto + Sport as a combination. With Configurable Dynamics I sometimes change ONLY the suspension to "normal" and leave the rest and it's a nice compromise. Anyway I wish I had experience with the Cayenne to compare but I think you'd love the SVR. I sure do! The perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
I recently test drove a 2017 RRS SVR; went straight from my FF RR to it and it was pretty smooth. It wallows around corners way-less than my 2011 RR, but the suspension was by no means harsh or notably sporty.

The exhaust system is totally docile when driving around town/idling. When you want power, it's there in abundance. Just a bit too small for me and lacks some luxury amenities available in the RR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Ric/Doc.
I have a view most cars will 2 of 3 things (track/road/offroad). Those that are track/road combo tend to be quite firm in their suspension set ups while road/offroad tends to be more comfortable on the road segment - it sounds like the SVR set up allows road performance without the overly aggressive nature of the cayenne.
Appreciate the feed back - buying without a test drive is usually a no no for me but in this case there's not much choice :)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
thanks Ric/Doc.
I have a view most cars will 2 of 3 things (track/road/offroad). Those that are track/road combo tend to be quite firm in their suspension set ups while road/offroad tends to be more comfortable on the road segment - it sounds like the SVR set up allows road performance without the overly aggressive nature of the cayenne.
Appreciate the feed back - buying without a test drive is usually a no no for me but in this case there's not much choice :)
I doubt you will be disappointed, the SVR provides a smooth, supple ride in "Dr. Jekyll" mode and goes all "Mr. Hyde" with a but more right-foot pressure. I wish it was a full size Range Rover option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha. I keep saying "the next car i'll hold for longer than 3yrs" but this time I think its true - everyone's comments here have definitely reassured me its a good switch up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I currently have a 2019 SVR on 22" wheels and it is definitely much firmer than the 5.0 SC Range Rover Sport I test drove a year or so ago. As you said the SC just floats along and is crazy-good at absorbing bumps, so much so, I was worried that the SVR (which I did not test drive at the time) would be too soft. This is not the case, the SVR is firmer, but not overly firm. The SVR is definitely on the more comfortable vs sporty side of things.

I've driven a Cayenne Turbo with PASM and PDCC, as well as a BMW X5M - both of these are much stiffer than the SVR. My SVR is less stiff than my previous BMW X5 50i with both suspension options. I love my SVR and would not change it for the world, but it is not a drivers car the way the Porsche or BMW are - at least for barreling 5000lbs+ into corners and S-bends. For 95%+ of normal driving, including some enthusiastic stuff the SVR is awesome. (and don't get me started on the NOISE!)

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
I have a 19 SVR with 22's as well and it is by far my favorite vehicle that I have ever owned. It is definitely a stiff setup, but that doesn't bother me in the least coming from high performance sports sedans. The only con in my eyes about this truck is the body roll it has compared to others in it class (excluding the G63), but the looks totally make up for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not an SVR, but I have an RRS SCV8 Dynamic and it is much more forgiving of a suspension than the Cayenne GTS I test drove for a couple of days before buying the RRS. Given the track testing I've seen I would expect the SVR to slot in-between those two suspension-wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts