Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched all over the web, thru this fourm and a couple of other places for how to repair the cup holder. Pretty much the best answer I have is to replace the whole thing. I saw something today that made me think...

What if you removed the spring from the whole thing? Wouldnt it just fold in and not pop out? I mean it seems you could just pull it out when needed, but without the force of the sring it would close flush.

Anyone ever try this??

Thanks, JW

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know, but every time I look at that thing, I have to laugh. I wonder what engineer possibly thought that designing the most complicated swing-arm contraption in the world was a good idea, when a simple hole would have worked just fine for holding my drink. :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you removed the spring how would you get it to pop back out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think you could just pull on the front of it. I also think it would stay closed because when it's retracted the weight would hold it in place. It may fly open on a very hard stop, but other than that I think it would be fine. Mine won't stay closed now and it's irritating, just wondered if anyone has tried it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had thought the exact same thing. Mine won't stay close either and a new unit for over $100 used just seems silly. I was going to remove the spring someway and find away to make the thing stay closed. Maybe some Velcro would hold it in And I could pull it out when I need it. Take some pics if you make the attempt. I will do the same.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts
FWIW before going to the RnR phase,
get a flashlight and open the holder,
look into it and see if some debris has fallen into it.

I found a marble and a penny sitting in the bottom of the opening,
once these were removed the unit functions properly

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts
I don't know, but every time I look at that thing, I have to laugh. I wonder what engineer possibly thought that designing the most complicated swing-arm contraption in the world was a good idea, when a simple hole would have worked just fine for holding my drink. :p
A person like me, never likes cup holders exposed when not in used in a car like Rovers. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried cleaning and fix and repair like the guy from the other forum posted. Mine didn't work. I took the spring out and it works like a champ now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is it supposed to "pop open" automatically when you depress it? Mine pops up about a centimeter, and then I have to manually open it. It seems like it should be designed to automatically open once you depress it. I never felt like mine worked properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts