RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** for those who are in the know... I picked up a '93 County recently and got the code for the stereo and turned it back on... Works fine, seemingly, except for that I really don't know how to use it, and it's not exactly intuitive to do so. There's no real hints within the fonts on the face of the head unit for the tape deck within it, or using the factory CD changer, etc, out back...

Any ideas?
The County doesn't have it's original owner's manual... but does have a full mechanic's guide.

I'd like to think I'm able to figure most electronics out via trial and error, so if the problem is just that this one's features aren't ALL working, then what would the Rover veterans suggest as to replacing the stereo? I'm not sure if it's possible to just get a new head unit and be able to use the existing CD changer, etc. is there a source for getting old fully-functional RR County head units, and if so, are these compatible with each other's components?

Thanks !!

Shawn

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Re: Question - Factory Stereo (I already got the security code)

Hi Shawn,

Could you post a picture of the Head Unit?

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

also... I did find the little owner's manual as well.. but really, neither that or the huge shop manual go into any detail about the stereo, just the bare bones of removing and reinstalling it.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Hi Shawn,

The units are usually fairly standard and all work in the same way, the round knob adjusts the volume and the up/down arrows scan the band and to save a preset station, press and hold one of the numbers until you hear a beep.

The US models have a different unit to the UK, US I think was either Philips or Alpine and the UK was CLARION.

There is a Manual for sale on eBay which you could enquire which model the Audio Guide covers (eBay item 260609347185)

Do any of the buttons work, adjust volume, etc? You may have a damaged ribbon cable inside thats increasing your frustration.

The problem with upgrading the head unit is that theres limited depth in there and its hit and miss which unit will fit, although the Alpine IDA units seem to fit as they don't have a CD transport inside them (Radio, iPod and CD Changer), I believe some Kenwood and JVC units fit as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks i think my head unit is in need of repairs.. no LCD display, and so far havent figured out how to work the tape or cd changer functions. I was advised to check out roverville radios, so i may send it out to them for a tune-up and will report back if I do go that route. Sounds like a guaranteed satisfaction kind of situation,they charge a set fee for pretty predictable common Rover radio repairs, and probably have a fairly streamlined assembly process worked out. i had my fingers crossed for this head unit being functional, and thus no added expenses to the new truck, ah well. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

so i checked into the Roverville Radios service, seems like a pretty cool crew of Rover people, I might be going that route. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with their solution. Always good to support enthusiasts...

BUT, I have one hesitation... It seems a bit silly to spend that kind of money to keep an old, out-of-date Rover head unit in service, just for the sake of OEM aesthetics or pride.. i really don't hold to that principle with classic cars if it's counterproductive.
A really nice new head unit with all sorts of handy options can be bought nowadays for under 150, so if a new radio with CD changer controls can be retrofitted to Counties with CD changers, than this seems the smartest way to go...

Any thoughts?

What are County owner's experiences with upgraded head units, and retaining all functions to the factory changer, amp, and sub?

thanks!!

·
Registered
67 Posts

As I mentioned before, do a search on ICE or Replacing Radio on the forum, there's issues with the depth available in the console.

Ask yourself what you need out of a headunit, Roverville can add a jack plug to the radio facia that looks like it came out of the factory, you've then got Ipod, Radio and your CD changer and existing Sub Woofer setup, which isn't all that bad.

If you go with a new headunit you'll need one with 3 RCA's to drive all of the channels, assuming that you have the same amp as fitted to the UK models and the pain of removing the door cards, x-overs and running new cables.

I had a brain fart before :oops: Your unit is a Pioneer.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I like having original equipment in my "classic", even though it's only 150 watts, with some new speakers it sounds great. Plus the 6 cd changer is nice and has never given me any problems. I've dismantled so many 93 94 classics I think I have 4 radios and cd players and have never needed them. In my farm car I put a new Pioneer w mp3 and single cd, 200 watts for $120, it took 45 min to change radios, no big deal. Too bad I don't own a mp3 player. Honestly, if you go on E-bay and find someone dismantelling a car they'll probably sell you a radio for $25 .

·
Registered
150 Posts

Like everyone said before you can get your original unit working or replace with the knowledge that the new unit will stick out some (probably). In my 1993 LWB I have the orginal unit and it sounds pretty good. No, not as good as the mutli-speaker unit with speakers everywhere, subs, tweeters and watts to push it all. I used the WB or weather band on my unit this weekend to get the up to date weather for the bays I was heading out to fish. Nice feature. I would like to be able to listen to my IPhone and may do that myself soon.

I find the Rover to have a little noisy to really hear music produced at a very high quality. It's up to you. We all have our little tweaks that we do to our Rovers. That what I like about this truck. Trick it out. Leave it original. Make it what you want it to be.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanks ya'll... might be sending it in for servicing...

and you're not kidding, this stock unit is nearly impossible just to reinstall... hard to even get all the wires pushed off to the side to even fit the head unit back in...currently sticking out an inch and not sure how to get it all the way in! ha

·
Registered
23 Posts

That looks like the Harmon-Cardon unit in my '95 Rover.
Mine works great and has worked well since I got it.
I had a little trouble getting mine back in the dash as well, what a PITA.
A friend of mine owns an electronics shop and told me that some of the early rovers had amps at the speakers and would be an expensive job to rewire for a standard head unit.

It looks from the picture that you need to eject the tape. If so push the #1 button
Pushing the band button will take you through 3 fm bands then AM then cd then back to FM

I plan to keep mine as long as it keeps working!!

·
Registered
536 Posts

The factory stereos sound pretty good for what they are, though compared to todays aftermarket stuff I feel they don't even get a mention. I've found the Alpine units fit really well, and they sound good to. In the 93 models it's easy to swap head units, as the two plugs are just standard ISO ones. I took the 150watt head unit out, and replaced it with a 14watt alpine unit, which has a round plug for the changer also, (interestingly mine is a 10 stacker). I know you were only looking at head units, but i'd also be changing the 4 4inch speakers with good quality ones (go carbon-fibre if you can), rockford, alpine, precision sound, kenwood, etc., and use the origional covers.
Interestingly Kenwood have a slimline 10 inch sub, in which they recomend a box size small enough that with a bit of stuffing around will fit where the origional one is, and you can route the vent up to the origional grill on the side boot pannel. It's not a doof doof sub, it's a real musical one that'll go down to 12 hertz. I've got a 600watt amp under the rear seat.
On these mods it looks completely origional except for the head unit, and it sounds completly awesome!!!!!!! Very musical, Josh Groban kind of stuff. I wouldn't waste my money getting it fixed, in the second hand stores in Australia they're going for $15.

·
Registered
345 Posts

As I've said, I have factory Pioneer with 6 cd player in my 93 lwb. So I went to my dumpster a few days ago at my car garage and on top of the trash was a box with a Pioneer PD-M450 cd player in it. This is the home version of the unit in my car, and has the same cd cartridge, interchangeable with my auto unit. What a cool gift for me. Turns out to be a pretty cool stereo concept.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I highly recommend John Monogham! He is a master at repairing these gems. Mine I thought was new when I got it back and it works awesome better than any car stereo I have used.His turn around is usually a amazing 2 days. I had him install the ipod(mp3) adaptor and I love it! In fact I will be having John install one in my 95 Classic.Rover Radio is the way to go I swear by them. I hope this helps you. Tell John that Warren sent you. Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts

Roverville Radio is the best at repair and refurbishing! I can't express it enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Hello!

Personally, I like to keep the originallity of the RR and I believe that the whole sound system of this car is very particular to it. Specially designed by a/d/c etc etc

But I have tons of MP3!! So what I did was the following:

I bought one of these MP3 player FM transmitters. It´s a tiny device to which you connect your mp3 player, Ipod, whatever and it transmitts at a frequency that you can set. Simply pick a frequency where no radio station is transmitting and you´ll be hearing your device playing on the radio.
Mine came with a 12V lighter adapter but I´m planning to hardwire it to the car so that everything looks neat. You can buy one of these from ebay for less than USD 20,00 and sound quality is great (at least for my patterns). Sounds like a CD playing. Some of these transmitters have a common AUX inlet or come with the specific jack for apple products.

Great about this is that you don´t have to modify anything and it´s cheap!

Alternatively, you can buy one of these cassete adapters but in this case, you´ll propably loose some sound quality due to the tape heads.

I hope this helps! Take a look at these FM transmitters!

cheers,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts