Range Rovers Forum banner

Question about tire safety on my 06 RR...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ldollar 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I'm not looking to get anyone fired up here. `8) I have 22" aftermarket rims on my Rover... I know, I know, I'm sorry if that makes you angry!! :wink:
But this is what the previous owner had installed and I am looking to find out if anyone can advise me on how to go about making sure my rim/tire combo is safe, especially for a long road trip.
(All pavement, from San Francisco to Portland/Seattle on major freeways and highways in good condition, hopefully.)

I have Axis rims with Yokohama Avid SUV 285/35R22 106H. There is plenty of tread left and the ride is comfortable enough for me. However, my mechanic expressed a little concern as to whether they were strong enough to hold up on a 1500 mile road trip (round trip).

From Yokohama website:
General Info:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid_suv.aspx
SPECS:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/spec. ... AVID%20SUV

So, regardless of whether you like the tires/rims, are these tires are *safe* for my 06 RR? If not, does anyone know of tires that would be a better fit for these rims, with this car? I don't mind buying new tires, but I don't really want to buy new rims too. Thank you for your help.
Cheers!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Idol.

They should be fine - run them all at 46 Psi cold inflation pressures before you leave for your trip way up north should your FFRR be loaded with gear or otherwise !

When they eventually are worn, try to replace them with the same size rubber except find a brand or pattern of tyre available with a load rating factor of "111+" ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response vinniman. I appreciate it.

Alas, I took the plunge today and just put new tires on. I didn't want to take any chances so now I have Toyo Proxes ST II 285/40R22 110V XL on her. They ride slightly higher on the road and I noticed an obvious improvement in ride quality on the freeway and over small bumps on city streets. I liked the lower profile but these look very polished and classy, and have an extra 300 pounds of load rating per tire (approx. 3400 vs 3100 on the Yokohamas). The Yokos were in good shape, probably only had about 20k miles on them. But there was some sidewall damage and for the peace of mind, I am glad to have the new tires on there.

Thanks again.
Happy Rovin.

PS For anyone in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, I had my tires put on at Les Schwab in Concord, on Contra Costa Blvd. Dealt with a manager named Bart, a true gentleman and a knowledgeable professional without the sales pressure or any attitude whatsoever. I highly recommend driving out to their shop if you are looking for tires. I bought tires from Les Schwab for years in the Northwest, before moving to California about 10 years ago. Doing business with Les Schwab as compared to most tire vendors is a complete breath of fresh air. They set the bar high in their industry. Trust me.

#4 ·
And in case anyone is shopping for this tire down the road, I guess the speedometer will be slightly off. Apparently the ratio is 1 : 1.04
Meaning that when my speedo says 70mph, it is actually 72.8mph.
Just something to keep in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.