RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my rotors for the 2004 Range Rover . They are BREMBO 08.8554.21 (rear) and BREMBO 09.8555.21 (front). I have attached pics. I have a quick question. The rears seem to have a grey paint around the hat and the front does not. They are both UV coated. I was expecting them to look the same. Is this how the are supposed to look. Does the grey painting on the rear hat come off?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The coating on the rear will not come off, but that is not how the Brembo rear normally looks(see attached)

That rear rotor actually looks very much like the Textar one.

Either way, aside from the aesthetic, both should function well, as they are both coated, so oxidation on non-friction surfaces should not be an issue at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,944 Posts
get some hi heat gray paint and also paint the front rotor on the edges and the unswept brake area they will look the same and corrosion should be less of an issue after a few years of use

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
Lots of manufacturers are using this paint on the top hat part of the disc now and they only use them with Alloy wheels, its purely for looks, so the top hat part which you can see through the alloy wheel doesn't look rusty after a few miles. I am surprised the front ones are not painted the same so as Mr Merlin said get some very high temp paint and paint them the same as the back discs or call Brembo and ask them why they are not painted.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The Brembo coating is a heavy paint, the front one pictured above (and rear that I attached)is the normal Brembo coating, that is not bare metal.

Also, the coating is for more then appearance, as a fully coated rotor will have the cooling vanes coated as well, which will help keep them from rusting away. Driving a vehicle with a broken vane is not a safe or comfortable experience.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so are you saying the rear is coated but "differently" ? and can I painted over the grey coating that is already there? I would rather black than grey. Also I would prime the front before painting black.. would I need to do the same with the rear since it seems to already by painted? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Your front is coated, and I wouldn't paint over it, it is a very good coating.

You can paint the rear to match the front(color wise, the front coating isn't just standard paint) but again, this is only needed for the way it looks, both are fully coated, and will serve their purpose to inhibit oxidation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im gonna paint the front to match the back rotor. Would I need to use a primer on new rotors that are coated such as the brembos or just paint? I was planning to use VHT caliper paint to do the job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, taped everything down and got a tad bit nervous :) Not sure how well the caliper paint we stick to the UV coating. The gray coating around the hat seems a bit thick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts