RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I placed a custom order for a 2019 V8 RRS SC back in February. Handover date has been confirmed for June 29. My build sheet has an MSRP of 102,959. My question is this... since by late June they will presumably be taking orders for 2020 models (mine is listed on my build sheet as a 2019.5), is there any chance that I can negotiate down the selling price since it will be an "older" model? Has anyone ever had any luck with this?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
you can probably get a couple of grand off. Maybe a bit more, depending on how the dealer is doing. Don't expect 10-15%, that just doesn't happen in the Land Rover world with current custom orders.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can probably get a couple of grand off. Maybe a bit more, depending on how the dealer is doing. Don't expect 10-15%, that just doesn't happen in the Land Rover world with current custom orders.
By a couple, do you think $5K off would be unreasonable to ask for? I got my hands on a copy of the MY2019 RRS retailer bulletin, and so I know that the dealer invoice for my car (with all the options I selected) is precisely 96,253.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
180 Posts
By a couple, do you think $5K off would be unreasonable to ask for? I got my hands on a copy of the MY2019 RRS retailer bulletin, and so I know that the dealer invoice for my car (with all the options I selected) is precisely 96,253.
Did you leave a deposit on the car when you ordered? You didn't negotiate price at the time? When I ordered my car I negotiated the price and gave a deposit. I have a signed purchase agreement, and the only open issue is the value of my trade, which will be evaluated when the RRS arrives.

I think, depending on your local market, that you might be a little optimistic. But the worst they can say is "no". Be prepared to settle for less if you really want the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you leave a deposit on the car when you ordered? You didn't negotiate price at the time? When I ordered my car I negotiated the price and gave a deposit. I have a signed purchase agreement, and the only open issue is the value of my trade, which will be evaluated when the RRS arrives.

I think, depending on your local market, that you might be a little optimistic. But the worst they can say is "no". Be prepared to settle for less if you really want the car.
I did not negotiate a price. I signed a retail purchase order and gave a deposit. The deposit listed the MSRP and additional fees and a total purchase price. But since the deposit is refundable, that tells me that I am not obligated to buy the vehicle (at any price), and so it would seem that I am not locked into the purchase price listed on the retail purchase agreement. Especially since at the time of delivery, there will be a new and material circumstance--the current MY will be 2020, not 2019.

Also, it would seem that the dealer would rather see me leave with a prior model year custom car than not do a deal with me and have to sell an older model customized vehicle with a bunch of brand new 2020s sitting on the lot (which means the dealer will have to discount the 2019 anyway to move it). Any new purchaser will have to like my color choice, interior choice, wheel size, and other options I selected personally.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Because you did not negotiate at time of order you have less leverage. Best you can probably expect is cost plus $2000 which is close to the what you are looking for with $5000 off. Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think you erred by signing/agreeing to a PO with the MSRP as the price. When I did my build with the salesman, he walked away and came back with a printed purchase agreement with the MSRP as the price, which I pointed out. He told me they don't usually discount custom builds, but after the usual back and forth with the sales manager, we agreed on a price and a new document was printed and signed.

As you said, your deposit is refundable so you aren't really obligated. The other wrinkle here is that the MSRP on your build sheet isn't really the MSRP, as that is set when the car is actually built. I noticed that pricing changed in the online build configurator after my order was sent in, and my salesman did confirm that the price of my build dropped by a couple hundred $ based on the most current info he had. There is language on the order sheet that covers this.

I think a lot depends on the specific dealer and your local market. I was surprised to find some LR dealerships out west (CA) are actually marking cars up over MSRP. Not sure how prevalent this is - it's not my experience around here. I think you might be putting a little too much hope in the car arriving close to the time that the 2020 models will begin arriving, and that giving you more leverage. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. One thing's for sure - if you don't buy the car, you'll likely burn a bridge with that dealer on ever getting another custom order.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Before I left the dealership, the salesman tried to tack on some additional "goodies" like paint protection, side guards, and tinting the front windows... he then said "we can negotiate all of that when the car comes in." That's why I left believing that there would be room to negotiate once the vehicle arrives. Do you think I'm nonetheless stuck with the price on the purchase agreement? Should I email the dealer?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're not stuck. Just negotiate the price when it comes in. Aim for a 4-5% discount. It's just easier to do it up front when ordering.
4-5% would actually be more than what I was hoping for, so thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You're not obligated to do anything. Your deposit is refundable and is not a real deposit, either. There's been no transaction so far. If you stick with the brand for a long time and build relationship with the dealer, an email will be enough for them to order you a car. The real negotiation can take place upon delivery. Again, you may get lucky and get your $5k off, but if you see that chart, you see how little they make on a vehicle. In other words, they need the $$$, too. In another thread you mentioned you might end up leasing - in which case the $5k difference means a really small amount a month. It's probably better strategy to try to get a reasonable discount and additional value: free maintenance, free glass/rim/tire insurance, discounted extended warranty, things like that. That's where everyone benefits, I think. Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the tips totya! I still haven't completely decided if I'm going to lease or purchase. My preference would be to purchase but I will try and lease if I can't get my monthly payment low enough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dealer cost is roughly 5% of MSRP, and as stated by others, the vehicle is not invoiced until much later in the process (cant remember if its invoiced at build completion or when its delivered to the dealer).

Does JLR ever have incentives on the RR or RRS? (not sure i have ever seen anything other than leasing "deals" and that is on models that were previous calendar year. ex a 2017 model in Feb of 2018 )

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dealer cost is roughly 5% of MSRP, and as stated by others, the vehicle is not invoiced until much later in the process (cant remember if its invoiced at build completion or when its delivered to the dealer).

Does JLR ever have incentives on the RR or RRS? (not sure i have ever seen anything other than leasing "deals" and that is on models that were previous calendar year. ex a 2017 model in Feb of 2018 )
Dealer gets invoiced by JLR just prior to delivery, right around/immediately after the time the car leaves the port in the US for delivery to the dealer.

I haven't seen any incentives for the RR or RRS. I think the RRS commercial that LR has been running in the US for a few months now (with the RRS in various extreme locales, ending with the red RRS climbing up the stairs at the Great Wall) is misleading as it ends with an incentive offering of $2k or $3k. The fine print says it's not for the RR or RRS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts