RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the tow hitch package installed by the dealership on my 2019 RRS. I’m a dummy and did it after the fact and ended up paying 2700 for it. I’m new to this whole towing thing... there are two different connectors they installed. One on top with four hold and the big circular one below it. Can anyone tell me what they do or what each one is for?

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
228 Posts
The smaller 4 plug is usually for small utility type trailers giving you tail lights, brake lights and turn signals, while the larger 7 plug gives you those as well as power, trailer brakes(with additional controller) backup lights or aux for larger trailers like a camping trailer, horse trailer or car trailer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smaller 4 plug is usually for small utility type trailers giving you tail lights, brake lights and turn signals, while the larger 7 plug gives you those as well as power, trailer brakes(with additional controller) backup lights or aux for larger trailers like a camping trailer, horse trailer or car trailer.
Thank you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also does anyone know if the tow assist software will work now? Or did I need to request that the dealer program that when I got the tow hitch installed?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
30 Posts
Also does anyone know if the tow assist software will work now? Or did I need to request that the dealer program that when I got the tow hitch installed?
Tow assist is an additional cost factory option, the standard towing software should have been activated with the install.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tow assist is an additional cost factory option, the standard towing software should have been activated with the install.
Do you have to have the surround cameras in order to use tow assist? I’m asking because the manual suggests that you do. I only have a standard backup camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the tow hitch package installed by the dealership on my 2019 RRS. I’m a dummy and did it after the fact and ended up paying 2700 for it. I’m new to this whole towing thing... there are two different connectors they installed. One on top with four hold and the big circular one below it. Can anyone tell me what they do or what each one is for?

View attachment 289680
Make sure you install a Brake Controller before towing anything heavy [more than a 1000lbs i.e.]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I find / get a brake controller?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up going with this one.

Hopefully it will work with a trailer that has LED lights... I know that's a known issue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Turns out I don’t even need a brake controller with the trailer I’m getting because it has surge disc brakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts