RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 P38 that occasionally loses sync between the becm & ecu. I have a syncmate that usually does the trick, but doesn't work 100% of the time.

I just picked up a wrecked 2002 to swap over the interior and some other bits.

My 2001 has 116k miles, and the parts car has 104k

Assuming the parts car doesn't have the same issue, can I swap in the becm/ecu/locks/ignition only, or will I need the swap in the speedometer as well?

I remember reading a while back (but cant find the thread) that it will default to the highest mileage. I'd prefer to keep my actual mileage, and don't want any error messages.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
If you swap just the BeCM the dash will come up with Odometer Error until you sync them with Nanocom or similar then it will show the highest mileage. So your 116k from the instruments will be written to the BeCM. However, really you need to identify why the BeCM and ECU lose sync. If it is down to a wiring problem then you'll swap things over and the fault will still be there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the syncmate work, or would I need a Nanocom?

Are there any common or typical problems that would cause this other than a bad/out of sync becm?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
Syncmate wouldn't as all that does is put the ECU into learn mode so the next data string sent is recognised as valid. How often does it lose sync and when? Is there anything you are doing that would cause it to lose sync?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,388 Posts
If you are going to keep the car, and clearly you are if you have come this far and bought a parts car, than the best option is to clone your original BECM.
Get whoever does it to print out the fob code and all the other data from the parts car BECM just in case you need to revert back.
Cloning it will keep the VIN and mileage the same and will give you a working spare.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe that there is a larger issue here. Components in the cluster, for example, identify themselves to both the PCM, and the BCM. The BCM and the PCM also converse. It is called a CANBUS, which allows all of these components to interface with each other and their related modules. The BCM is also programmed with the ORIGINAL VIN. Changes here could trip the anti-theft system, immobilizing the system, and requiring more than one programming visit. Something to consider here... Ray

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
There's no CANBUS at all on a P38, it's too early and the instrument cluster only receives data from the BeCM. You may be correct on a later car such as an L322 but not a P38.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts