RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago when I last had time to work on my RRC, I tightened the front crankshaft pulley nut as tight as it would go, which was tight enough to shear the file I was using to stop the flywheel from turning. I got the whole thing back together and tried to start the engine, but no joy. I realized that in tightening the crankshaft nut I had moved the crank relative to the position it was in when I took the distributor out, so when I put it all back together I was 180° out of alignment, or worse, some unknown amount of rotation out of alignment. Duh! :oops:

So today I finally had time to get back out to the garage again. I put the crank to TDC and aligned my oil pump drive. Then I looked at the instructions in the RAVE engine rebuild manual, and they didn't match anything I could see:

Sump - refit
Ensure timing pointer is aligned with 30 mark
on crankshaft pulley and No.1 piston is on the
compression stroke.

I don't see any sort of "30" mark on the harmonic balancer. There are a series of graduated lines at what appear to be 3° increments (that's three degrees, just in case my degree character doesn't translate into HTML), with 12° marks at the ends of the graduations. The illustration appears to be pointing to the TDC mark. Am I correcting in guessing that the manual writer meant to say "3°"? Is that 3° BTDC or ATDC?

Thanks for your help, as always,
Scott

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
First off you need to find which TDC is the compression stroke for number 1 cylinder. The easiest way is to remove the spark plug and stick your finger in the hole. Then turn over the motor by hand and you will feel the compression pushing your finger out when it is on the compression stroke. So then line up TDC with the timing mark. At this point the distributor rotor should be just past (clockwise direction) the position of number 1 cylinder lead on the distributor cap. If not, turn the distributor until it is. The motor should now start and you can set the timing accurately with a strobe light.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine roared to life, but I have no oil pressure. Time for a new thread about priming the oil pump.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts