RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a mission to have a working backup camera on and off for a couple months now. To begin with, I disassembled the rear spoiler and took the original camera apart. I wiggled the connection and was able to see an image on the screen, so I deduced that the connection was the issue. I proceeded to solder the wires from the plug directly to the board. I finally got it working but, of course, the wire was hanging off the board just a bit and I couldn't fit the case back together. I tried fixing it but think I ended up burning up the board on my original camera.

Since then, I have tried two second-hand OEM cameras form eBay, neither of which work. I've wiggled the wires on these and get nothing but black on the screen. Ive checked the fuse in the rear fuse box, and it is fine. I'm hoping this isn't a wiring issue, but it almost seems like that's what's going on.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine was really straight forward to replace. So I would expect a wiring issue or display board issue.

have you tried the ebay cameras on some other display...not sure if you can get them to output to a cellphone screen, but maybe AV inputs on a TV?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fixed mine with a cheap $7 Ebay rearview camera. Cracked open the original land rover camera case, did the same with the ebay camera. Out the camera in the original Land Rover case. Soldered the wires up and it is working. And more sensitive in the dark!
I don;t understand why this is not working on your car. Its just 3 wires, composite video, 12v and a ground.
Here a short video of my repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvQvVQLjdnw

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Problem is probably the SMB connector where it connects to the car harness. That connector just pulls apart, if you twist them trying to unscrew them you will break the cable inside the connector. Get an SMB to RCA connector, and plug it into the camera, jump 12V and ground to the wires and run an RCA cable to the inputs on the rear seat entertainment system, or to a TV or computer monitor screen and see if any of them work that way.

I also went the cheap Chinese camera method and they work just as well or better than the LR cameras at about 1/5 the cost.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/281642-rear-camera-replacement-option.html#post1956746

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just installed a $15 Chinese camera from eBay in my 2006 and she works great, with much better low light video. I too removed the guts of the new camera and installed it in the Range Rover housing with silicone adhesive caulk.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, Mark C.

I, too, think it's probably an issue with the SMB connector, since it seems unlikely that power is the issue. I haven't touched the SMB connector inside the vehicle -- I don't even know where it connects. The one behind the spoiler, however, has seen a lot of attention with my trial and error. How should I go about repairing this?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The SMB connector is the one right behind the rubber grommet under the spoiler. There are two connectors there, a 2 pin power and ground and the coax smb plug in connector. It looks like it should unscrew because it has a hex shaped crimp on it, but it just pulls apart, like an RCA cable. Twisting it will cause either the center conductor, or the shield wire or both to break off and not allow the video signal thru.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is very likely my issues. So you would recommend replacing the connector on this wire?

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is very remote that your SMB connector is bad. Before replacing check the two ends for continuity, because it's not trivial to splice in a new connector and will likely require you to run a new wire to the dash.

99.9% of the camera problems is the 4 pin connector to the circuit board inside the camera. Mine was glued with silicone by what I'm guessing is a failed dealer repair attempt. It's a well known defect with two fixes (1) remove the connector in the camera and solder the wires direct to the board (2) replace the camera.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Wayne, thanks for your input. A few months ago, when I first busted open the original camera, after wiggling the wires on the connection you mentioned, I could see the image on the screen. I ended up ruining the camera trying to repair it. Since then, every camera I've purchased has given me no picture, even after opening and wiggling the wires -- not even any static on the screen -- just black. This leads me to believe it is a wiring issue. And since the connector coming through the spoiler is the one that's received the majority of the attention, it follows (in my head at least) that therein lies the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts