RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the paint bubble on the tailgate of my 2010 Range Rover is slowly but surely getting bigger. It's currently about the size of a quarter. I've read elsewhere on the forum that rust is common on the tailgates, and that the cause of the problem is from the inside out? I'm not sure how that would work?

Anyways, I'm debating to have it professionally fixed at about $500 USD for the paintwork. But, will this solve the problem, or is there anything else I need to have done to avoid this occurring in the future? I hope to have my rover for another 3 years or so.

Alternatively, I'm debating to just purchase a used tailgate, but I understand that I might run into the same issue? The cost would be about $600 for the part delivered, plus labor to install.

Basically, I'm just looking for the most affordable solution that looks decent enough for the next 3 years. Thanks in advance for your advice!

rearissue2.jpg

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,075 Posts
Tailgate rust is usually along the bottom edge where the inner and outer body panels are rolled over and spot welded together, water gets into the joint and eats it from the inside. That looks like some kind of paint failure, maybe there's some previous body damage there that was repainted. If its rust fix it quich, once the rust gets a bite on the metal of a RR is spreads pretty quick. I had a little bubble on my left rear wheelwell about 6 months ago and not its spread over about a 4 or 5 " area on the flat face of the wheel lip. I have to get it fixed pretty soon of I'm screwed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts