RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a difference in quality with regards to the build or the materials used (ie. quality of the plastics used, sound system, trim, general assembly of the car itself, etc) between the base HSE and the Supercharged version. I thought the only difference were the options and the engine. The reason why I'm asking is because I leased a base HSE (no premium seats or any other options) in 2007 and drove it for 3 years. My lease just expired and I bought an 07 supercharged (with rear entertainment). I have been driving it for a month or so and have noticed better "quality" in the supercharged:

1. Stereo is significantly better - more bass and clarity in my supercharged (still with some rattling but significantly less than my previous HSE). It was almost embarrassing to turn up the music when I had passengers in my car (sounded like the door panel was going to fall off).
2. Paint and trim - paint on my door handles, rubber coating on the driver side window button cover, etc. began to fade and peel off within a year. My new car has no issues.
3. Cargo cover - the fabric and rubber coating started to peel off after about a year but my new car is still ok
4. Excessive creaking and rattling from hatch, doors, sunroof. New car is fine.
5. Tailgate light cover (the two lights that are on the inside of the of the hatch that goes up) broke off after the second year. New car is fine.
6. Home link - I had to get extremely close to my front gate (almost hitting it) to get it to open. Now, I can open 3 - 4 car lengths away.
7. Rear window wipers - my base HSE never wiped my rear windows well. Told the dealer and they swapped out the blades but it still didnt "fix" it. Dealer said that this is normal. My new car wipes perfectly.

Does Land Rover build these cars differently and use different materials based on the model/options? I brought all of these issues up with my dealer and they have either said "normal wear and tear" or "functioning normally to OEM spec". Has anyone noticed this or was my previous car just a bad apple? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Your HSE was build Friday at 4:30. Your SuperCharged was built Tuesday at 1:00. :lol:

One thing is to consinder is your SC may have been garage kept. Explaining the less wear on it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have both.

My S/C came with the luxury package. Better interior trim. More options. That's the difference. The sound system is the same between the two currently unless you opt for the premium sound, which is available in both the S/C and HSE but is not standard in either. The other differences you noted are just new car versus old car, not S/C vs HSE.

If you actually compare apples to apples they are the same besides the powertrain/brakes/wheels/tires/suspension/exhaust/exterior trim pieces. But I don't think you can actually compare apples to apples because at least currently, you can't get a S/C without the luxury package.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I didnt know about the premium sound option. I thought they were all HK Logic 7. In any case, it might have just been a psychological thing... It just feels like the car is more "solid" compared to my older one (from day 1 of ownership).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts