RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know is not a standard pcv that I am used to but does anybody know where the pcv is on 2010 RR SC? When i pulled my motor apart to do timing stuff i had a lot of oil in the manifold and tons of carbon on intake valves.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is an excerpt from the AJ133 (5.0L) Jaguar/RangeRover Technical Training Manual. This covers the function an layout of the PCV system on the 5.0 SC engine.

Regarding the intake valve carbon deposits, this seem to be more of a common problem with direct injection engines in general. Not really a function of the PCV system or the AJ133 engine specifically. No fuel running through the manifold and subsequently the intake valves on the cylinder head leads to more rapid build up of carbon deposits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The PCV system is integrated into both valve covers. The right hand valve cover is for partial load crankcase ventilation, and the left hand valve cover is for full load crankcase ventilation. The partial load breather includes the two PCV valves. They are the two round looking caps on the intake side of the valve cover, which are basically two rubber diaphragms. The blow-by gasses are drawn through an oil separator which allows the oil to drain back down through a baffle plate in the valve cover, and then introduced into the inlet of the supercharger. The full load breather works on a similar principal and consists of a two way check valve, a vortex oil separator, and routes the gasses to the intake air duct. Check for broken diaphragms, sticking check valve, or crud blockage in the valve cover passages.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh i have seen the round things. Yeah it seems the back 2 valves have the most oil/carbon. I'll have to see if i can replace them since everything is off anyways, or do you have to replace the entire valve cover?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ahhh i have seen the round things. Yeah it seems the back 2 valves have the most oil/carbon. I'll have to see if i can replace them since everything is off anyways, or do you have to replace the entire valve cover?
You may have already solved this issue, if not check-out Walnut Shell Blasting or Media Blasting. This was one of the remedial fixes for Carbon Build Up on BMW 335d and 335i models, not mention other Direct Injected engines. I have had good success with BG products as a preventive measure for Carbon Build Up on Direct Fuel Injectors as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts