RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice set of wheels ready to go on, but need to put in approx 6mm or 1/4" longer wheel studs.
Did a search, but no real answers.

I see that at least on the front there is limited space due to the bearing configuration.
What is the rear like?

Anyone got advice or real knowledge?

·
Registered
448 Posts
A wheel stud can be replaced without removing the hub. A longer one installed is not something I have done but from memory it should be possible.
Actually finding a stud that will work might prove more difficult than fitting the stud.
I kept two old hubs from the wife's discovery II for spare studs as I could not find replacements anywhere when I had to drill one out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be checking tomorrow and see what the deal is.
They are 14 x 1.5mm, but finding longer is fun.
I found some made by H&R(part 14555164), that are 55mm long on the threaded section, but it states the spline diameter at 14.90mm.
Anyone have a P38 stud to hand they can measure???

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I read that guys thread but I had no issue replacing a stud in the rear of mine with out removing the hub. I just used a lot of washers and the wheel nut to pull the stud through the hub. In the end it damaged the wheel nut as they are softer than the washers but I had a spare. Still cheaper than a new hub or a 100 ton press to split the hub.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have never heard of any of the guys using the newer LR wheels needing longer studs either. I know you need to change the nuts and use a hub shim to use the newer wheels but nothing about studs. What sort of wheels are you trying to use?

These will work but fitting them might be a pain!
http://www.paragon-products.com/Wheel-Stud-p/pp911.331.671.00.htm
14x1.50, 14.94 knurl x 66mm long

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well I am better educated now...

A busy day of wrenching behind me.

I started with the front.
Removed the wheel.

The amount of "available thread" is about 23mm.

Removed the caliper, carrier and then the disc/rotor.
Here is how it looks.

Using an air hammer, I knocked the stud out... just to prove to myself...

The pictures speak.
It is impossible to even get a normal length wheel stud out on the front without splitting the hub/wheelbearing assy!

Now, onto the rear.
Removed wheel, caliper, carrier and rotor...

This is how it looks then.

I "think" it is possible to remove the stud on the rear wheels... but it is tight with the bearing carrier hump...

The wheels that I have are these...
They fit great, with 255/50 R20 tires, and the offset is perfect... but they require a normal acorn lug nut, not the massive LR item.

Here they are mounted... I think they look great, and not too ghetto.

My issue is that I only can get 7 to 7.5(11/12mm) complete thread rotations of engagement on these lug nuts with 100ftlb mounting.
The stock LR lugs are about 10 turns(15mm).

As we don't drive 100mph here or offroad ever, I don't think its will be an issue, but will recheck the mounting regularly.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I changed 2 broke studs on a front hub without dismantling it some years ago. Getting the old one out was easy, as they broke off and were shorter. To get a new standard stud to fit (readily available at LR at the time, not sure now) I cut off part of the round head to get a flat side that could just squeeze in. The stud is located on its splines and the head is only used to prevent it from pulling through, so very little strength is compromised by this modification.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to add this Info to my post...

Stock P38 wheel stud sizes....
Total overall length: 52mm
Length under head: 44mm
Threaded length: 22mm
Spline length: 22mm
Spline Diameter: 14.2mm

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
finished it all up yesterday with new steering joints and cross steer bars... whatever you call them. Rubbers were split and joints looked suspect, altho no play.
No roadworthiness tests here yet beyond emissions...
Also noted that the wheel hub bore measures 72.7mm, which I believe is within a Gnat's whatsit of being correct!

Drove around today... freeway speeds and the ride feels great, no shimmy, no issues.

Took this quick pic today...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Excellent thread! Thank you so much. I am working on fitting X5 wheels and that is the issue I am facing, longer studs needed and small nuts.
Where did you purchase yours? I need them about 60 long, maybe a bit longer? All info appreciated! I wil be buying new front hubs and installing the studs prior to putting on the vehicle. not sure about the rear yet...
Here is a test fit...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
Needing longer studs and having small nuts is an issue facing many folks that choose to fit aftermarket rims or rims from other manufacturers. In the end folks usually settle for short studs and appropriate nuts for rims known to fit. Have you already addressed the possible need for hubcentrics to compensate for your hub's small stature compared with BMW rims from the L322 era?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Needing longer studs and having small nuts is an issue facing many folks that choose to fit aftermarket rims or rims from other manufacturers. In the end folks usually settle for short studs and appropriate nuts for rims known to fit. Have you already addressed the possible need for hubcentrics to compensate for your hub's small stature compared with BMW rims from the L322 era?
Thank you for the response,
the hubrings are not of a concern as they are readily available in all sorts of sizes, but the longer studs have me stumped.
I *may* have to settle for the 20" Stormer wheels from the RRS Supercharged, as I am picky on the design and also want nothing larger than a 20. There is an inexpensive kit for those.

My next option is adding an adapter, but that would push the X5 wheels out another 20mm and that would simply be too far out and perhaps cause issues with turning radius, as my Westminister has the side steps.

Essentially, I just need to know where to buy the extended studs, the nuts should be easy enough to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have recently come to this hump in the road on this journey, I just bought a set of Black Rhino Arsenal's Wheels
that i want to install on my 2001 D2. After researching the threads here, I've found people have their ideas to what cross-over stud might work (porsche, bmw) Has anyone found the exact pc? part#? yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know the knurl Diameter of a stock 2001 Disco 2 wheel stud? I feel if i had this info I could cross reference using the ARP & Dorman catalogs....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts