RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
IMO the rr sport is a car that was made for those who did not want the full experience of owning a real RR with its full capabilities and stature i.e the full size RR HSE.

Even worse beyond that is the discovery... you’ll only discover you were duped and shortchanged on power and worse than that is the freelander, they should have called it the "freeway strander” i see freelanders stranded on the side of the highways more than any other vehicle out there.. the junk yards have quite afew of them stacked on each other...

IMO the range rover sport was made to “look” Appealing but does not match up to the full size in “work “ and load capabilities.. i bought mine to actually put it to work not to just look cool in the city . It tows , it takes me through some very long journeys in treacherous terrains , temperaturse and conditions comfortably and it is reliable as i maintain it well.. the sport to me just feels like a dummy model of the real thing..

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
I just bought a 06 Supercharged 2 days ago, very high kms BUT there is a full stack of service records going back 5 years. So basically everything that could go wrong has gone wrong and already has been replaced. In some cases a few times...EAS!!! And when I say a full stack of receipts, take your budget and double it....thats how much has been invested in the truck in those years. And By no means do I think I am out of the woods...but when you are looking at buying a L322 you have to go in knowing it'll challenge you.

The 06-08 definitely have the best power plants, JAG, for reliability but unfortunately not the best bodies and like every RR electrical gremlins. Prone to rust in the rear wheel arches and lip of the upper lift gate. Fortunately mine has just started to show the sign of rust so I can nip it in the bud now and repair it.
The Supercharged whine is intoxicating, it doesn't pin you to the seat like a Cayenne Turbo but for such a heavy truck it hauls!

I also have a 1991 RRC which will split the DD duties with the L322 SC so odds are I should only now only have to take the bus to work 1/3 of the time......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, in case anyone is interested, I took a 2013 RRS out for a spin on Saturday. Great ride, exceedingly well cared for, one owner, recently serviced. I spent a long time chatting with the guy selling it and he’s a car nut, showed me some of the BMWs he’s also selling. I’d feel confident buying from him. But...

Strangely, I had an earlier chat with a local guy selling a 2011 RRS and I asked why he was selling. He said he had other projects and finished by stating that, the truck was ‘too nice for him’. I didn’t know quite what he meant by that when I was talking to him but having driven the 2013, now I do. It’s too nice, it’s too luxurious, it’s too well appointed! Bear in mind I’m used to massive US boats with bench seats and lazy handling! The RRS was a different world for me and I’m not sure I’m ready for it...

So instead I’m mulling test driving an older Full Fat RR instead, to see if I feel more comfortable driving that as opposed to the RRS. The RRS seat also felt too constricted to me and I’m not a huge bloke, but again, from bench seats to wraparound leather, it’s a huge leap.

The adventure moves on!

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
124 Posts
Well, in case anyone is interested, I took a 2013 RRS out for a spin on Saturday. Great ride, exceedingly well cared for, one owner, recently serviced. I spent a long time chatting with the guy selling it and he’s a car nut, showed me some of the BMWs he’s also selling. I’d feel confident buying from him. But...

Strangely, I had an earlier chat with a local guy selling a 2011 RRS and I asked why he was selling. He said he had other projects and finished by stating that, the truck was ‘too nice for him’. I didn’t know quite what he meant by that when I was talking to him but having driven the 2013, now I do. It’s too nice, it’s too luxurious, it’s too well appointed! Bear in mind I’m used to massive US boats with bench seats and lazy handling! The RRS was a different world for me and I’m not sure I’m ready for it...

So instead I’m mulling test driving an older Full Fat RR instead, to see if I feel more comfortable driving that as opposed to the RRS. The RRS seat also felt too constricted to me and I’m not a huge bloke, but again, from bench seats to wraparound leather, it’s a huge leap.

The adventure moves on!
Just get the Full Fat! While they are nice inside, they have depreciated so much, you don’t have to feel bad about using them.
I agree about the sports feeling “small” inside.The full size is a massive vehicle. Should be more reminiscent of your bigger 60-70’s land yachts.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Rented a 2019/20 cad escalade in florida recently. Drove for a week. Ok ride but maybe the rentals seem cheaper inside. Touch screen really showed finger prints badly in the sun. Looked like i had never washed. Got back to our 08 sc 4.2-different, smaller inside, i think more likeable. Also remember that the sc has the lux package std. and that is a 5k plus option on a regular hse and a must have. Ours now at 142,00 miles, owned for 16 months, on 3rd oil change and replaced front pads only as an interim measure. due for belts and pulleys as they are squeaking. more to come i am sure but taking the chance. some records showing 100k service. some noises tbd. paid 12k can (9K US) but body really was very good. underside looked like it had rolled off the assembly line a year ago. A good body is certainly worth considering as any minor repair done well is a few K easy. Actually i believe she spent at least several winters in florida. fwiw, used to own a 67 el camino and a 36 buick series 40 coupe.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts