RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i attempted to get stock shocks, but they were backordered at ab, rn, etc. so i got kyb gr2s, and they themselves took 3 weeks to arrive from tr. what the hell is going on? anyway, the truck feels 100% better at the moment; but the condition of the existing oem shocks was non-functioning. i was also suffering from steering judder and visually dismaying drag link and track rod end condition. so i replaced the shocks with gr2s, and put in new drag link, track rod, and damper. i had a full set of ball joints, and was ready to replace them, but my guy said the others are going strong and to save them for a rainy day. and that's why we all take cars to him. i'll do bushes are next; but i have to do brakes and a 02 sensor first. glad to do it though. how many are driving '99 p38s for a minimum 2.5 hours a day in bullsh*t NJ traffic year round?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Good to hear they worked out for you.

I need O2 sensors too and they just went on sale at Atlantic British.

Good luck with the front-end work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I change the OEM shocks for britpart (scrap) ones... They last 20.000kms if so.... :doh: :doh: :doh: Now i'm planning to go for the Terrafirma Big Bore but they have to be adapted because terrafirma don´t make them for our Range...

Regards,

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I also run the KYB's and they work excellent.
Really settled the rear end while towing.

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I highly recommend the genuine Land Rover shocks for the P38, they last and truly work well.

Yeah Im hearing you had to replace yours but look at the distance you have travelled on them only to realise they are now worn....after how many years.

I replace pleanty of shocks on these Rangies, I've ripped off some fancy shocks to that cost proberly 3 times more than the originals, oems feel right for the rangie.

Keep far away from the britpart ones cos I tried them on mine for a trial.....bloody bad move
Even a wheel barrow feels better

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the existing ones were so badly worn anything would have been an improvement. i have to say i like them alot. we'll see about their longevity...but i am very pleased with them thus far. haven't ventured off road with them yet, but looking forward to it. actually, 295 between mt. laurel and 195 qualifies as off road, so i'd venture a guess they'll handle that well. greatly reduced road noise, body roll, and the "lose a filling" feeling when smacking a bump or hole is gone, along with the following bounces after a good hit. it's now a pleasure to drive. i like to load the crap out of this truck when travelling, especially when wife, dog, and baby are along, and they're responding well to that phenomenon. i'll keep you posted on them. they're not bad looking either. sort of a dark silver.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
viper, i wanted to go oem but it seemed everyone had them on back order. i couldn't wait any longer, so i went with the gr2's as they allegedly are designed to replicate oem performance. i'll second the quality and longevity of the oem ones. oem were my first choice; but it was getting to the point driving her was unpleasant. we can't have that...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can get my hands on OEM for a fairly good price due to networking however I am exploring the idea of the KYB GR2's... especially as the price for all four is very economical... Even compared to my price for OEM..

When I picked up my RR, the EAS was converted to the OEM spring conversion and the ride sways and bounces more then it should.. Keep us updated, if you can, about the performance of these babies..

JaeR

·
Registered
543 Posts
VonDutch.

Is it really getting difficult to source stuff for our rigs Stateside ? I think "Goosey Loosey" is another member driving daily through 'cowsh*t' in New Jersey traffic !

My prior experience with KYB's in my very first car was I could feel every single pebble on the road, but the handling around corners was superior to OEM dampers.

I've read other posts on this thread about members having difficulty sourcing extended travel shockies with Arnott airbags or coil kits, but genuines rare as R.H.S.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
JaeR78 said:
When I picked up my RR, the EAS was converted to the OEM spring conversion and the ride sways and bounces more then it should.. Keep us updated, if you can, about the performance of these babies..

JaeR
And what "OEM" conversion is that???? Seeing as the P38 was never offered with coils, it would be a new one to all of us. :think:

·
Registered
123 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
JaeR78 said:

JaeR
And what "OEM" conversion is that???? Seeing as the P38 was never offered with coils, it would be a new one to all of us. :think:

Sarcasm? i love it.. :thumb: :clap:
Since I am trying to turn over a new leaf, I will keep this as nice as I possibly can.. :dance:

Never said my truck came from the "dealer" with the "OEM spring conversion" (as you stated the P38 was never offered with coils).. Possibly my choice of words wasn't as clear to some as I thought it might be.
So I will reiterate.. The truck that I purchased (used from a private sale) was converted to coils "at the dealer" with what I believed are OEM springs as the receipt (we all know how much that will/can run) from the stealer states.

I apologize in advance should this be taken a tad rude however the 4 question marks weren't necessary..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
OK then, so I am working with the fact that "OEM" basically means Original Equiptment????? (there is 5, in case you are keeping track ;) )
As I asked before, how do you figure that ANY coil spring is "OEM"? Are they from a Discovery I? Maybe a D90? Classic? Kind of running out of options for coil sprung rigs here arent we?
Mind, If I got a brand new Jeep and put leaf springs from a 1980's CJ, would that make the leaf springs OEM too? :lol:
Calling coil springs on a p38 OEM in any sense of the wording is quite inaccurate IMHO.
Just my .02, and be as rude as you like, may liven things up around here.... ;)

Martin

·
Registered
123 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
OK then, so I am working with the fact that "OEM" basically means Original Equiptment????? (there is 5, in case you are keeping track ;) )
As I asked before, how do you figure that ANY coil spring is "OEM"? Are they from a Discovery I? Maybe a D90? Classic? Kind of running out of options for coil sprung rigs here arent we?
Mind, If I got a brand new Jeep and put leaf springs from a 1980's CJ, would that make the leaf springs OEM too? :lol:
Calling coil springs on a p38 OEM in any sense of the wording is quite inaccurate IMHO.
Just my .02, and be as rude as you like, may liven things up around here.... ;)

Martin
Martin, I don't recall asking if what I had on my truck was OEM. I simply stated what I have based on the Dealer Receipts. Whether they are OEM or not isn't a big deal to me however it appears that it is to you. For what reason, I have no clue. But if proving ppl wrong is your cup of tea, by all means, waste your time..
Dont try and take a piss over here mate.. lol

Why would it be inaccurate? Possibly to a enthusiast.. But since this is my first RR and the paperwork and price states otherwise, it is safe for me to assume OEM... However with experience and enough reading, it appears that I may be mistaken.. lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
btw - I do like your photos of the equipment that you transport... The wind blades are quit the length... Fiberglass(composite) got to love it.. Light weight and strong...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
The ones I am currently hauling are made in Europe somewhere, but trying to get a straight answer from the job folks (General Electric) is near impossible.
So far as the rest goes, I was just asking what "OEM" coil conversion it was, as I have never heard of one. If it works, it works IMO. :thumb:
Not for me as I haul a trailer etc from time to time, but if I was to offroad a P38 hard, it would be on coils for sure. :shhh:

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but wanted to add to this thread for anyone considering KYB gr2/excel-g shocks.

I knew it was time for new shocks as my 97 HSE was getting jittery and feeling a bit loosey-goosey. When I had my front bakes redone, I had the suspension checked out and everything seemed to be in surprisingly good shape. So, I figured it must be the shocks. I did my quick test of seeing if I can get the truck to rock side-to-side by grabbing the roof ( the drip rail on a Discovery makes this very easy). And low, I found I could get a slight (1/2"?) steady rhythm.

I like the ride of the oe shocks, but this was my third set and I was ready to try something new. I decided on the KYBs for a couple of reasons:

1. Reviews were favorable on Land Rovers.
2. Most reviews commented on them being close to to oe shocks or being too soft (which is ok by me)
3. lifetime warranty (Terrafirmas were a runner up with a 1 year warranty)
4. price around $57 each from rockauto.com (who has been great for warranty replacement).

When the old shocks were pulled I tested the first inch of travel and they were all shot somewhere within that inch -- no dampening at all. No shocks were leaking and all performed fine beyond the first inch. Hell, even the paint looked good on them for an 8+year old shock.

The KYBs went on without issue.

My driving impression of the KYBs is positive. It is hard to know for sure, but I think they are slightly stiffer than the oe shocks. This translates into more road feel (ugh), but also better cornering which is much flatter now (yea). I also tried them on my speed bump test: 2, 10" speed bumps separated by 20 ft at 25 mph. My wife hardly noticed -- no bang, no porpoising, just up and over (almost as good as a Classic).

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts