RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am currently searching for my next car and have been looking at the 535i, 7 series, Jag XF 5.0 and lastly the Range Rover Sport which brings me here. I have had a lot of friends who have had Range Rovers but want to gain some ownership insight here. I am 20 y/o and drive 20,000 miles a year with my commute to my university and working in real estate... That being said, I need something I will really love to drive since I am always in my car. I'm coming from a 2008 750Li which I loved besides the reliability and a 2011 Audi A5 that I really did not care for... I did search and see some of the issues they experience but also wanted to see the opinions of the questions below...

Would you all recommend a 2010/2011 Range Rover Sport?

What milage would you not go over (I tend to be finding most at 50-61k miles)?

My sales person mentioned if the car is not already certified I can buy an extended warranty from Jaguar/Land Rover... Has anyone purchased this option? What is your experience with it?

Lastly, compared to the others I am looking at which would you choose?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
Go the dealership route and go CPO if you can. Anyone telling you you can get an extended warranty from LR is semi correct so before you buy, talk to the guy at the LAND ROVER dealership who sells extended warranties and see what he says about coverage on a 2010/11. I'd go 2011 if I were you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would only purchase from a Land Rover Dealer and will not buy without a CPO or dedicated warranty from Jag/LR. I need to go back down to the dealer and talk to them about the specifics as my first visit was just to see if it was a good fit. They sold the first one I was looking at which was a 2010 Rimini Red HSE Lux with 38k on it, no CPO but the extended warranty option avail. Now they have a Certified 2011 HSE Lux Orkney Grey but it has 51k on it and its $5,000 more. I assume just paying for the CPO... Is 51,000 miles too high to buy? I want to keep the car around 2.5-3 years so taking it up to 100,000 miles or end of warranty.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
There are some really good threads about extended warranties on this forum that I would search for, I have a nice write up of my experience on there. If you're set on going the 2010/2011 route, I would find one already CPO, which means 6 years / 100k miles from in-service date. That should mean around 1-2 years left of warranty. The HSE's tend to be more reliable than the S/C models but really, it's kind of a toss up.

If you can swing it, the best option would be to find a 2012 that is still under the factory warranty (more than 1 month left) and has less than 49k miles and then shop around for the factory LR extended warranty by calling various LR dealers across the nation. That will get you a 6-7 year ADDITIONAL (not total) and up to 100k mile warranty for around the same price as a CPO markup.

There are a lot of people who'll tell you to forego the warranty and play the odds. If I had a second car and more free time, I might have gone that route myself but it's convenient to just ring up your service advisor, bring the truck in, get a great new loaner, and be on my way whenever issues pop up. And so far, I've had a few strange issues pop up.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Here is the thing about mileage and warranty and used cars.

If the previous owner was diligent and took his car in for routine service and used the CPO well then the car should be in good shape. Also from what I have been reading over the past year with regard to my 2010, our generation of range rovers seem to work perfectly until they reach the 4 year mark and that's when sensors gadgets and doodads start to fail. The car itself doesn't fail but the electronics around it do. It seems to be a pattern with these cars and my experience is no exception. To date I'm over the 22 thousand dollar mark in warranty repairs so yup, I may have bought a lemon but at the same time my dealership has replaced everything under the sun and my next huge repairs will probably happen 4 years from now.

All that to say, 1. Really research your local LR dealerships and make sure you buy from one that doesn't try to slither away from warranty repairs and 2. Make sure you get AT least a 2 year CPO so you have a full 24 months to drive the crap out of it and make thing that are just about to fail on you fail quicker so you can claim it on warranty.

When I went in for my first warranty repair the tech took me aside and asked how long I had on the CPO. When I told him he looked at me and said "drive the s*** out of it!". Now I know why he said it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great replies, thanks guys!

"If you can swing it, the best option would be to find a 2012 that is still under the factory warranty (more than 1 month left) and has less than 49k miles and then shop around for the factory LR extended warranty by calling various LR dealers across the nation. That will get you a 6-7 year ADDITIONAL (not total) and up to 100k mile warranty for around the same price as a CPO markup."

-I have come across a few 2012's and I can put more down I just did not want to get too crazy. I thought 30-35k would get me a decent milage 10/11 active CPO or lr warranty car so thats where I wanted to cap out at and save money. The 6-7 Additional years are huge and I will definitely talk to dealer about that option... I would like to keep the car for 3 years or 100,000 so thats the warranty period I am looking for.

Canrover, that worries me a bit with the sensors and electronics after 4 years and the $22k warranty work... Sounds exactly like my 2008 750LI bought it CPO drove the wheels off of it to 90k miles and sold it the week the CPO ended. 24k in warranty work completed, made best friends with my advisor and was in the dealership once a month! I am okay with little things here and there as I know these are high maintenance complex machines... However, I cant do another car like my 7 series where it is in the shop once a month.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It is best to compare apples to apples here and although there are quite a few members who will tell you how great and reliable the cars are I'm willing to bet these are pre 2010 and that the owners know EVERY little thing about them and where they stand mechanically and electronically. This is why you need the 2 year CPO to get you to that state of awareness. I'm nearing the end of my CPO and the warranty work is tapering off. I now know what the car will need down the road and what has to be done to prevent future failures. The guys here will help you a lot but wanting these cars is not for someone who doesn't want to be bothered with problem solving lol. The bright side of it is that there's a good chance that anything you experience has probably already been experienced here and fixed with a good record of what was done.

As more and more second owners buy post 2010 range rovers there will be more knowledge to go around so when you have a problem with yours and you've fixed it please be kind and share as much of your experience with us as possible. It really helps.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts