RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board due to my wife acquiring a range rover last week with 150k. It has many issues and I was hoping some of you here could shed the light on them, as I'm used to working on much simpler cars (volvo 240's). I've fixed the message centre on the climate control, the transistor feeding the backlight had failed (T005). It was easy enough to bypass, but there are other issues:

1. EAS system was switched over to coil springs. Fine with me, but how much of the EAS stuff can I remove (the pump still runs) and how do I get rid of all of the faults?

2. Traction control fault on long freeway drives (>30min)???

3. Driver window gears seem to jump teeth when the window is completely closed. It will not do this if I stop just short of completely closed.

4. Vibration at 50-55mph. Fine above or below. It almost feels like the start of death wobble my friends lifted jeep had...

5. High idle. It can be constant anywhere between 1k and 2k.

6. Slow. Amazingly slow for a V8. I'm pretty sure the 240 will blow it's doors off and that's sad.

7. Strange metallic noise from the starter during starting. Sounds like something in the starter gear reduction box. Anyone try rebuilding?

There's probably more, I'll post them as I find them. I appreciate any help.

Harley

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
harley said:
I'm new to the board due to my wife acquiring a range rover last week with 150k. It has many issues and I was hoping some of you here could shed the light on them, as I'm used to working on much simpler cars (volvo 240's). I've fixed the message centre on the climate control, the transistor feeding the backlight had failed (T005). It was easy enough to bypass, but there are other issues:

1. EAS system was switched over to coil springs. Fine with me, but how much of the EAS stuff can I remove (the pump still runs) and how do I get rid of all of the faults?

2. Traction control fault on long freeway drives (>30min)???

3. Driver window gears seem to jump teeth when the window is completely closed. It will not do this if I stop just short of completely closed.

4. Vibration at 50-55mph. Fine above or below. It almost feels like the start of death wobble my friends lifted jeep had...

5. High idle. It can be constant anywhere between 1k and 2k.

6. Slow. Amazingly slow for a V8. I'm pretty sure the 240 will blow it's doors off and that's sad.

7. Strange metallic noise from the starter during starting. Sounds like something in the starter gear reduction box. Anyone try rebuilding?

There's probably more, I'll post them as I find them. I appreciate any help.

Harley
1. You can get rid of all of it if you want. But I wouldn't do it just yet... you may change your mind and want to restore it. As for the faults, do a search on here to find out how to get rid of them. It's just a matter of jumpering a couple wires together.

2. Could be bad/dirty abs sensor...or a bad ground.

3. Replace the window assembly

4. Check tire pressures first. 28psi front and 38 psi rear (assuming stock tires). Then move on to steering damener, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints. Also search on how to adjust the steering box play.

5. Try cleaning the MAF meter. Then look to see if the throttle cable is too tight.

6. Welcome to a 4700 lb AWD huge driveline loss truck with the aerodynamics of a parachute. It's only 198 hp (IIRC in the 4.0...can't remember). Oh, and it has 150k miles on it so it's probably WAY less that that. Figure 140hp ish at the wheels. :dance:

7. Dunno. Hopefully it's the starter and not the flywheel.

8. DOWNLOAD RAVE NOW. READ IT, LEARN IT, LOVE IT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've downloaded rave, but I have a mac. I'll have to get a virtual machine going on it, but it would appear to be a great resource.

Also, two other things:

*The front doors pop in a certain spot when they are opened. I greased the slide but they still pop...
*There is an aftermarket stereo installed with the factory system. It makes an awful buzzing noise even with the engine off. Is there a amplifier on the factory system? I'm thinking it might be a ground loop...

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
harley said:
Thanks. I've downloaded rave, but I have a mac. I'll have to get a virtual machine going on it, but it would appear to be a great resource.

Also, two other things:

*The front doors pop in a certain spot when they are opened. I greased the slide but they still pop...
*There is an aftermarket stereo installed with the factory system. It makes an awful buzzing noise even with the engine off. Is there a amplifier on the factory system? I'm thinking it might be a ground loop...

Not sure about the door, except that they hinge bars may have been bent at some point. Can you see them binding at all?

Yes...the car has amps...sometimes up to 6 of them (if you count the dse amp as one). If someone who doesn't know about rovers hooked up the stereo they most likely did it wrong. There's a couple of good write ups on here about it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,425 Posts
harley said:
*The front doors pop in a certain spot when they are opened. I greased the slide but they still pop....
The bracket which bolts to the A-pillar is probably worn from lack of lubrication where the roll pin is inserted. I had the same thing.

If you look at the pin as you close the door you'll probably see it jump when it reaches that point. The wear will be small but it's enough.

The bracket is very cheap but it will be black. That wasn't a problem for me as my car is white so it was easy to match even with cheap white spray enamel. I can't give you the part number as my HDD crashed and I've lost MicroCat.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Scotty can get him a couple I'm sure. Look in the classified section for a guy named Scotty...he's parting a 00' right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
as for #3, mine had the same problem and it was 6 missing teeth on the top end of the regulator. You could get new regulator or you can do what i did. You'll notice that the bottom section of the regulator never runs through the motor so i cut the 6 teeth i needed off the bottom end of the regulator and had them welded to the top of the regulator to replace the missing teeth. :D Once it was back in not only did it work perfectly but it now does the one touch up and down like its supposed to.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies everyone.

the bracket that bolts to the A pillar is whats worn out. I was thinking it was inside the door. so you were able to get the part number from micro cat and order from the dealer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where is a good place or where did you download RAVE from. I heard its on e-bay but is there a better download method. Have the Rover Shop Manual but I heard RAVE is better with pics and stuff.

As far as the vibration : I had a bad right front tire hub , replaced it and fixed the vibration.
Thanks
Johnny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts