RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Where do you purchase your oil from and which model do you purchase for an oil change?

I heard purchasing it myself and giving it to the shop is the best route to guarantee proper oil was used.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
The proper oil is full synthetic 5W-30 and it's important that it meets Land Rover diesel oil specification STJLR.03.5005 which is meant to be non- harmful to the diesel particulate components and last for 16K miles between oil changes.
Castrol is the official JLR recommended oil but others also meet the standard such as:
RAVENOL FLJ 5W-30 Motor Oil 5L | Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5005, WSS-M2C934-B

RAVENOL FLJ 5W-30 Motor Oil 5L | Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5005

Don't forget a new fuel filter and draining the fuel sediment bowl may also be due and don't be surprised if the independent shop has trouble resetting the service indicator as the Land Rover dealer I go to had to download an "instrument panel" update for my 2016 Sport TD6 to be able to reset the 'service required' reminder.

·
Registered
258 Posts
And I think we need 8L right for an oil change.
You do need 8 quarts... But I never put more than 7.5Quarts in though... Just in case you can't get every bit of the old oil out and then pour 8 quarts atop... now you have too much oil (been there done that) and the instrument/dash gauge will certainly let you know it. Too much oil in the sump is half as damaging as having too little oil. It will blow your head gaskets and rear main seal. Ask me how I know ? It happened to me on a previous vehicle when I was much younger? ;)🤯

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check your owner's manual for capacity and clarify whether it's in liters or quarts before you purchase the oil. The last oil change on my 2016 TD6 done at the dealer indicates: 7 "8812487 diesel 5w30 Castrol" at $10 each for a total of $70.
There are pre-packaged oil change kits available for Land Rovers but not all of them are for the TD6 diesel or for your model year. Could include the wrong oil and/or filter for your engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check your owner's manual for capacity and clarify whether it's in liters or quarts before you purchase the oil. The last oil change on my 2016 TD6 done at the dealer indicates: 7 "8812487 diesel 5w30 Castrol" at $10 each for a total of $70.
There are pre-packaged oil change kits available for Land Rovers but not all of them are for the TD6 diesel or for your model year. Could include the wrong oil and/or filter for your engine.
the td6 2016 uses 6 litres. it says so in the manual aswell.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My invoice just listed 7 units but didn't specify litres or quarts. 6 litres would equal 6.34 quarts. Add a new filter and I can see where the dealer would charge for 7 units and possibly not need the full amount of all of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts