RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

New to the RR world. Always been on the German side of things. Hope you all can help with some insight.

I have my heart set on a full sized RR. My driving habits have changed significantly since COVID. I currently drive 200-300 miles per month. Due to industry changes, I see working from home as being the new normal.

Due to this very low usage, it is making it very difficult for me to justify the cost of purchasing a brand new 2021. This has lead me to start searching for a very low mile example from 2017 or 2018. (I know there are changes between the two years).

I see a significantly higher number of vehicles available for 2017 in compared to 2018. Most likely due to 2018's not yet coming off lease. This is probably keeping prices higher on the 2018. I also see that used cars have been in high demand as factories have been shut for new vehicles.

I am not in a rush to buy. I enjoy the hunt for the right vehicle. It took me almost 2 years to find my Porsche as I had very specific criteria.

-------

Questions:

• How do you foresee the prices of 2018's over the next 6+ months?
  • Is the 2018 worth the premium vs 2017?
  • Considering that the 2018's are currently $30k+ cheaper than buying new, am I missing something?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have driven BMW’s for the past 20 years, either 550’s or 650’s, and made the switch to RR Sport in 2018. I would say for sure the 18’s are worth it as far as technology, as this is the year they switched to the two screen system, included Apple Car Play, and while mine initially had a lot of issues it has been very good after several software updates. There are also some other changes on the 18 including new headlights and rear lights, basically like a Mid-Cycle refresh on BMW’s.

I think you are correct in the 18’s aren’t really coming of lease just yet, as mine is due to expire in the Spring. I suspect you will see some of them hitting the market next spring/summer, however keep in mind that Range Rovers don’t really lease out well as they don’t have their own Financial Lender. I can tell you on my BMW’s there were always pull ahead programs via BMWFS, which kept pre-owned inventory available. There doesn’t appear to be any such thing with Range Rover.

I think you will enjoy the switch, and can say I have loved the vehicle. I do still have a Porsche, and two BMW’s in the stable, and honestly I always seem to grab the RR keys more times than not.

Good luck searching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I moved to a '21 from an '18, and I'm in the same boat as you: couple of hundred miles a month, at most, vs 2500 pre-Covid. Unless you're obsessed with these cars (I'm guilty), you'll probably be perfectly happy with an '18. The '18s are worth the premium over the '17s due to the upgraded tech, reworked seats and other small things. I have a '17 Sport here somewhere and it does feel old getting into that one (but that's a V8 Sport, with the noise it makes, it's a keeper).

The used-car/new-car argument is as old as car buying itself so we won't reinvent the wheel here.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,208 Posts
I'd definitely get a 2018 over a 2017. At this point in the generation, I'd go 2018 over a new one if you can find one that meets your criteria.

The next generation is slated to be announced and released next year, which will certainly affect L405 value.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
28 Posts
Due to the current JLR situation (and not only them, everybody fires personnel and cuts costs), I would stay away from new models in the next years... For instance, the MMC software was switched to LG Auto for 2021...

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Good for you. I haven't been on facebook or any other echo chamber in years. No such fears here. There's nothing to worry about, at least not out here in the woods. The bears and the moose families will be just the same. As for people... sucks to be in the city sometimes.

Reactions: aeggroup

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Questions:

• Considering that the 2018's are currently $30k+ cheaper than buying new, am I missing something?

Thanks!!
I would say ‘18’s are worth the premium above ‘17’s because the infotainment is so much better, plus a lot of other improvements.

I traded my 2018 on a 2021 Westminster yesterday, I’ve only driven it around 10 miles but I have to say the new Inline 6 engine makes an unbelievable difference, it’s much smoother, quieter and so much more responsive than my ‘18 V6, which only had 16,000 miles on it. But to answer your other question, is it worth $30k more than an ‘18? I would say with the superior engine and longer warranty....yes.

One thing that’s missing, a Westminster Badge, it doesn’t have one. That would have been nice, oh well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All -

New to the RR world. Always been on the German side of things. Hope you all can help with some insight.

I have my heart set on a full sized RR. My driving habits have changed significantly since COVID. I currently drive 200-300 miles per month. Due to industry changes, I see working from home as being the new normal.

Due to this very low usage, it is making it very difficult for me to justify the cost of purchasing a brand new 2021. This has lead me to start searching for a very low mile example from 2017 or 2018. (I know there are changes between the two years).

I see a significantly higher number of vehicles available for 2017 in compared to 2018. Most likely due to 2018's not yet coming off lease. This is probably keeping prices higher on the 2018. I also see that used cars have been in high demand as factories have been shut for new vehicles.

I am not in a rush to buy. I enjoy the hunt for the right vehicle. It took me almost 2 years to find my Porsche as I had very specific criteria.

-------

Questions:

Thanks!!
Lease one. Do not buy one. You will save money in the long run. They are not built like Toyota’s
Very costly to repair as they age. And when I say age , just past 5 years or so

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lease one. Do not buy one. You will save money in the long run. They are not built like Toyota’s
Very costly to repair as they age. And when I say age , just past 5 years or so
I would only partially agree with you. It all depends where will you go to repair your truck. If it's a dealer - you 100% correct, but if you can buy parts yourself and go to the indy shop that you trust - maintenance and repairs are not more expensive than any other german/british car. For example dealer price to change 4 corners rotors and brake pads - $2400. I spent about $650 and it included parts and labor. Oil change - dealer $300, I do it for $120.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
It all depends on what you are willing to spend on your car. I don't mind the dealer prices, and I'm pretty sure there are many owners like myself, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would only partially agree with you. It all depends where will you go to repair your truck. If it's a dealer - you 100% correct, but if you can buy parts yourself and go to the indy shop that you trust - maintenance and repairs are not more expensive than any other german/british car. For example dealer price to change 4 corners rotors and brake pads - $2400. I spent about $650 and it included parts and labor. Oil change - dealer $300, I do it for $120.
If I was a BMW technician, I’d probably be driving a BMW , I’m not a mechanic however my mechanic friends have absolutely nothing good to about Land Rover

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
If I was a BMW technician, I’d probably be driving a BMW , I’m not a mechanic however my mechanic friends have absolutely nothing good to about Land Rover
Did you register on this site to troll around, or was there any other reason to it? 3 posts, 3 pieces of Land Rover hate.
In case you haven't noticed, it's a Land Rover/Range Rover forum. This is probably not the best audience to talk crap about the manufacturer or the brand, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Reactions: RyanGambrill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you register on this site to troll around, or was there any other reason to it? 3 posts, 3 pieces of Land Rover hate.
In case you haven't noticed, it's a Land Rover/Range Rover forum. This is probably not the best audience to talk crap about the manufacturer or the brand, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
I guess you are rite , I’ll never post again, I’m sorry for the “crap” talk
I didn’t think anyone was listening
They sent me an add and kinda asked for it
I usually don’t talk crap for no reason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts