RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed new rotors & pads to fix the shaking wheel while braking. Still same problem!
Control arms looked ok bushings only just starting to show wear...

What are some possible causes?
2012 Range Rover Supercharged 58k miles

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
check the pads install. sometimes if one isn't properly aligned it will cause vibration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the pads or rotors...could it a bad bearing ? Suspension components?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking for potential root causes behind a steering wheel shake when applying brakes around 50 mph with medium light pressure. 2nd set new pads rotors so I can rule that out.

If its tie rod ends would that only express during braking?
What about a broken belt in a tire? Thinking balance issues express regardless of braking...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts
Most likely something dead simple like not cleaning and greasing the caliper pins. This causes uneven movement of the caliper during braking and can also prevent a full return when letting off the brake pedal. Sadly most people doing brake jobs forget this crucial step.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pins lubed, no caliper problem, no pad or rotor issues. Putting on Michelin premiers tomorrow and swapping rims. We'll see....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hose? Meaning brake line? How can I check the caliper piston....
Yes line, they can get tired not letting fluid travel through freely causing a bunch of issues. You can check the piston by popping the pad out, checking the pad wear, checking to see if the piston moves easily back into the caliper with a compression tool. Since it's supercharged and you have 4 pistons in each caliper up front I'm going to bet one of the pistons is seized causing uneven pressure during braking resulting in said pulsing.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Also if you do find a piston is stuck luckily rockauto has new pistons seals/rings boots. Basically take the caliper off, drain all the fluid out, pop a piece of wood between all the pistons... small shot of compressed air will cause the pistons to shoot out, remove. Clean the whole caliper, fit new rings/boots on your new pistons (do them all) coat them in brake fluid and press back into the caliper. Super simple. You'll need to bleed the calipers at both nipples top to bottom to remove any air from the system. I usually like to pressure bleed with a tool at the brake res.

the piece of wood between the pistons when removing is essential to inhibit them actually leaving their slot in the caliper. If you do have a stuck piston and you shoot out the others, removing the seized up one will be extremely annoying as you'll loose the ability to used compressed air seeings as though the caliper will no longer hold pressure.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm about to order some upgraded pistons etc. to rebuild my Brembo's on the front of my 06 SC, and follow the above procedure you mentioned.

I never thought to lube the new pistons with brake fluid. Is that pretty standard, or is there a better fluid I should be using?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'm about to order some upgraded pistons etc. to rebuild my Brembo's on the front of my 06 SC, and follow the above procedure you mentioned.

I never thought to lube the new pistons with brake fluid. Is that pretty standard, or is there a better fluid I should be using?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I just used dot4 pretty sure... and as for lubing up the new pistons it's only to assist them in fitting back into the caliper... I'd suggest brake cleaner before you fit pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Probably not relevant here, but one time a 'shock tower' came loose on my RR. Where it tightens to the body, under the hood. Caused similar symptoms. ... long shot, but everything worth a look

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate it - that's the type of insights I'm looking for. Dropped off at dealer and of course they said rotors based on my symptoms...I told them not paying for anything unless they prove cause and find solution.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At dealer - no idea what's causing steering wheel 'nibble' ~ no obvious suspension wear.
Restricted performance due to failing high pressure fuel pumps....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts