RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure it's the tensioner pulley on passenger side. I got it off and noticed it's the same diameter as replacement, but replacement is about 1/4" narrower. Is this the right pulley? The replacement I have says idler pulley, it came from napa. Is that the idler pulley I'm working on, or is it a different pulley? Got to have my wife's car back in working order before tomorrow, and don't want to have to put old pulley back on. Thanks in advance.8-0=

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Picture?

There are no pulleys that are common sources of noise, however, the pulley above the alternator has been redesigned(OEM at least, PN PQR500350) to stop noise, and edge wear on the belt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Advance auto actually had the correct pulley surprise surprise. I replaced it and no more squealing. It was the pulley above the alternator. What is that pulley tensioner called? Thanx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sir, the new pulley looks just like the old one, and it's the pulley that the fan belt is routed on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir that's the one, oddly enough the tensioner itself didn't say land rover on it, must have been replaced by the previous owner or something

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to update, in case anyone was interested. I was able to replace the fan belt tensioner pulley by just removing the air box and fan shroud, no need to remove fan. It was tight, but less work for me, since I'm not familiar with removing fans.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Picture?

There are no pulleys that are common sources of noise, however, the pulley above the alternator has been redesigned(OEM at least, PN PQR500350) to stop noise, and edge wear on the belt.
I was told by one of the Land Rover techs that the bracket needs modified slightly to accept the newly designed pulley. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I'm not sure of any rhyme or reason behind this, I've had early ones be fine, and later ones need to be clearanced. I tighten them down by hand and check the clearance when it it tight(as pictured in the link above) When they need to be modified they don't tighten up without binding, I haven't seen any that are kind of close, it's always been good or bad.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I had the old style pulley on my '08 (Aug '07 build). The new modified pulley fit just fine with no grinding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts