Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated part number for the problematic front cross over pipe (is a new design one piece the “flaw” in the old designs split at the middle of the seam because it was two piece)

109402 is the new per the below.
  • Genuine:

• SKU:LR109402
  • Other Names:Manifold - Heate (front cross over pipe)
  • Description:
    Heater Manifold.
  • Replaces:LR018273, LR077042, LR087559

Luckily mine failed in my garage literally. I was topping off coolant and noticed it start pouring down under the car. Had it towed to the dealership and found out the “front coolant crossover pipe under the supercharger” is leaking. My water pump was also leaking.

Guess the pipe seeping for a while until it just let go.

The tech says these fail often and suddenly and start leaking around 60k miles. It’s been a issue on all the 3.0/5.0 engines on all the models. He said many engines are overheated and some beyond repair because this pipe lets go quickly and by the time the temperature alerts you it is already usually too late. He was surprised mine lasted so long I’m almost at 95k. The shop time for both the water pump and this pipe was 12 hours labor.

The extended warranty covered the repair which was $2100. To this date the extended warranty has paid out over $10k in repairs over the last year and half. I purchased the contract for around $8k. I have two more years left on it.

For those without warranty the hose can be found online for around $100. I am sure an Indy will charge around $1000. I do not have the repair order on me right now but I will post the part numbers for the DIY guys later. You have to remove the supercharger to do this hose so it can be a good time to do the snout as well and change the oil for the SC.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover
202 Posts
Getting mine replaced as we speak, is there an upgraded part? It seems thrre is like a plastic hose that is two parts glued together that ends up spitting in half. Seems like a terrible design.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No there is no upgraded design unfortunately. Yes that’s the one mine split in half as well. I believe before it split completely it was leaking for a while. This pipe has been a issue since 2010 till now, you’d think they’d have redesigned it. I noticed there is some “revisions” but for the most part it’s the same POS.

Now I am also using a old iPhone paired With my gap IID tool that allows me to monitor the temperature over the phone while driving. I trust is a lot more than that useless gauge we have in the cluster.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Getting mine replaced as we speak, is there an upgraded part? It seems thrre is like a plastic hose that is two parts glued together that ends up spitting in half. Seems like a terrible design.
If we're talking about the same pipe, yes there is an upgraded one. No longer two halves. It's now one piece

·
Registered
20 Posts
No there is no upgraded design unfortunately. Yes that’s the one mine split in half as well. I believe before it split completely it was leaking for a while. This pipe has been a issue since 2010 till now, you’d think they’d have redesigned it. I noticed there is some “revisions” but for the most part it’s the same POS.

Now I am also using a old iPhone paired With my gap IID tool that allows me to monitor the temperature over the phone while driving. I trust is a lot more than that useless gauge we have in the cluster.
Yes there is finally an upgraded, one piece design. I didn’t find out unfortunately until after I already finished servicing the timing chain and related components 🙄.

·
Registered
SCV8 L494 SCV8 L405
31 Posts
I can confirm that Land Rover has revised and improved the design of these plastic manifolds since MY2016 but I don't know when they started installing the revised parts at the factory. My guess would be MY2018.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
428 Posts
Figures I checked this thread out last week & this weekend got a faint smell of coolant when walking past front of my L494 yesterday. Got 79K on it so would not be surprised if I need cross-over pipe & waterpump. I will take a look after work today.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover
202 Posts
So the onboard temp gauge isnt going to alert you in time?

I was getting the orange coolant leak message for a few days and adding distilled water but it would come back, sure enough I started looking around and there was the tell tale sign off orange jelly. It never really made it to my driveway. So I did have to look for it.

·
Registered
L405
401 Posts
I was getting the orange coolant leak message for a few days and adding distilled water but it would come back, sure enough I started looking around and there was the tell tale sign off orange jelly. It never really made it to my driveway. So I did have to look for it.

Gotcha...forgot about the coolant level message.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts