RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Today I replaced the UJ at the rear end of the front prop shaft. It wasn’t particularly fun but I’m glad I did as the old one was shot and making awful noises. Anyway, it’s the first one I’ve ever done and my question is: how loose should the new UJ be? Compared to the other end is quite stiff but certainly easyish to move in all directions by hand. I don’t know how loose or flexible it should be. All four circlips are seated properly. Just wondered if it will cook itself if too tight, or if use will slacken it up. Any info appreciated, thanks, Tom.

1997 2.5 DSE auto.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the new unit should not have play at all, should be firm and smooth not grainy and or sticky, be able to move to the end of it's axiss and the cups should have seated completely with out a gap. do not forget to grease upon install and then every 3 to 6 months based on vehicle service and use, if you off road grease a u joint after off roading.
any play will cause vibration.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Since you had the drive line out Why did you not do both Ujoints? If the rear was toast the front one is not going to be far behind since they have most likely had the level of maintenance. I would inspect the rears as well.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Did you inspect the coupling for wear? Are the outer cups moving or is this tight? In case the coupling is shot get a new driveshaft, the alternative is to drill it out about 1mm oversize and make some sleeves in a lathe

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ive done em and after, I use a rubber mallet to loosen up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I was just curious as it's my first time doing a UJ. Front coupling appeared fine, no untoward movements, and audible noises etc. Obviously, I'll be on the lookout for any issues once the RR is back on the road.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
You've got 4, they've all done the same mileage in the same conditions, as RRTH says, they've all been subject to the same lack of maintenance, so why didn't you do all of them while you were under there? You're only going to have to do the others shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts