RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought a '95 county LWB, he's not highly mechanical so I'm the new care-taker :) unfortunately it's not mine, but it's close.

I've wanted to get my hands on a good classic for a while, probably why he bought it then asked me to look at it.

It needs quite a bit of work, but runs strong and quiet (maybe it's not running at all???)

New balljoints and tires before it's roadworthy, maybe exhaust too....

:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
shupack said:
A friend of mine just bought a '95 county LWB, he's not highly mechanical so I'm the new care-taker :) unfortunately it's not mine, but it's close.

I've wanted to get my hands on a good classic for a while, probably why he bought it then asked me to look at it.

It needs quite a bit of work, but runs strong and quiet (maybe it's not running at all???)

New balljoints and tires before it's roadworthy, maybe exhaust too....

:D
Good luck with it, post some pics :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah pics for sure.

If you need help with the EAS i know someone who is quite handy :wink:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rufant said:
Yeah pics for sure.

Pics are on my phone, will be up someday...

I'ts been castrated, but everything is there, so in exchange for the honor of working on it, he's letting me do a tech article on how to reverse castrations :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
shupack said:
I'ts been castrated, but everything is there, so in exchange for the honor of working on it, he's letting me do a tech article on how to reverse castrations :)
Nice one, I know from when I did mine how satisfying it can be to restore it back to it's former glory :D

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here she is!

of course...

What the hell is this thing in the bumper?

back into by a skit-loader..

·
Registered
3 Posts
That trim is plastic covered over wood. What I did with mine was take all the imitation wood off and cover it in plaid. The actual trim is wood so if you take all the plastic off the trim you can sand it and stain it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Not highly mechanical". Hey . . . I resemble that!

This is the future Mad Gringo mobile. Once shupak gets it up and running I plan on stuffing it full of tropical shirts and hitting the road for a while. What better way to spread the "Go Slow" mantra? Fans of the Mad Gringo website named it the Slow Rover. Not as good a name as Matilda or Gilbert, but it's a name.

We'll keep you posted as this beast starts prowling the streets again instead of just sitting in the driveway drawing stares and clucks from the neighbors.

MG

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's rolling! new ball joints on the front and new rubber, it's street-worthy. Not sure why she was in a wrecking yard, one ball was BAD, over about 1mph was scary, but she runs strong.

Idles at 1500 in P or N, 850 in Drive.... It has a distributor so I'm lost there, it'll take some research.

Brakes squeal but stop just fine, no exhaust leaks, plenty of rattles and some rust. I think I fixed the power steering leak and amazingly, the oil stays in the engine.

I think the de-castration will be a spring project, after all the little things are done.

coming soon to a Tiki bar near you.

I think one fender should be a different color....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ive heard the 95 had a few changes from previous years,but that round hole in front bumper, does that fire rockets or is it a flamethrower?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
classicjack said:
Ive heard the 95 had a few changes from previous years,but that round hole in front bumper, does that fire rockets or is it a flamethrower?

I think it's a flame thrower, I was hoping for rockets. Havnt got it to work yet......

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Idles at 1500 in P or N, 850 in Drive.... It has a distributor so I'm lost there, it'll take some research.
Check the throttle and assosiated cables and linkages are free first before messing around with the timing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm with rufant on throttle cable lube. I just bought a rustbucket 94 and found all my cables tight,which gave me fast idle. Bought a can of PB silicone and sprayed everything a few times, everything loosened nicely. Then I hit the brakes and found puddles of brake fluid everywhere, rusted brake lines throughout is common on these cars if they sit for a while.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cables were the first thing I checked, they're right, and smooth.

I'll have a good look at the brake lines, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
533 Posts
shupack said:
rufant said:
Yeah pics for sure.

Pics are on my phone, will be up someday...

Coil Conversion Kit, 1995-2002 p38A Range Rover 4.0/4.6
Our Price: $599.00

Used it on my last P38. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15333&start=30
Thanks again Shupack!
;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I take it you checked the throttle butterfly is closing fully too and not all carbonned up?

Airleak is also something to consider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts