RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, the title pretty much says it all. I know several are running this set up, just want to see what the suggestions are out there for the best way to get it aligned, I finally got some miles on my set up and I am getting a wobble in the steering wheel from about 50-60mph. I have been through the search and seems like several recommended the dealer as the best place but I want to verify that before attempting to deal with them. Also I have a road trip next week and getting into the dealership on short notice here in Austin seems like it might be tough.

Thank you!

If anyone can suggest an alignment shop in Austin that would be extra-awesome!

EDIT booked alignment for tomorrow, let me know if this is a mistake! Sounds like the suspension needs ot be locked and the dealer is the only one that can do it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
No need for a dealer, no need for an indie. Hit up your local tyre shop that does road force balancing. BTW, tyre size has nothing to do with your alignment.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
In this case, he's changing to an oversize tire, so an alignment is needed, all else Spot on! If you go to an independent, ask the tech if they are familiar with the way to do a 4 wheel alignment and how to keep the truck from settling. If they tell you the right answer, you may have found a competent tech. Not all independent shops (Firestone or other) have trained techs who have done a 4WA on an RRS...so best to check before they waste a couple of hours of your time. First time out the gate, the dealer should be able to do it for you...negotiate with them, tell them you are a member of Texas Rovers or the Austin Land Rover club and haggle a bit for the discount. Worst case scenario, hop over to Beats café and have a piece of cheesecake while you wait! :) Most likely you need to get the wheels balanced with a Hunter Road Force Balancing machine (Discount Tire)...but they don't do alignments. I'd get the tires balanced, drive it, see if it pulls badly and then get the alignment.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
If you were living near me, I would tell you to avoid the dealer for alignments esp with non-spec tires and wheels. Assuming they have a 1/100 chance of getting it correct, if it's still off after the alignment/balancing, you will get a song and dance how this is not an approved setup and you will get hosed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much guys! I found an indie that can do the road force balance (hunter). They said they can not "lock" the suspension, they just leave it running and let it settle then go for it. Sounds logical that the tire balance is off though I had the tires installed at discount tire, perhaps they don't go that far when they mount them or it was some upcharge that they didnt offer, thoughts?

I think i might do the tire balance and then as suggested, go for an alignment if its still vibrating at 50mph...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called Discount, said they have had issues with their "quick match" balancer and they offered to try to balance them with their "high speed" balancer if I bring it by today. Going to try that first as its probably free and very close. Will report back.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Leaving a door open so it doesn't settle will help keep it at the right height.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now THATS using your noggin, good idea. My RRS is at Discount tire now getting the high speed balance. Hopefully that solves my "bad vibes" but if not I will take to the indie and suggest that! As mentioned above, i probably should get the alignment too.

I got 17.1mpg to Dallas this weekend, wondering if the alignment issue could improve this..."luckily" I have to make the drive again Sunday so will try to compare.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
:) You get to add back about 5-6% on that mpg to get true mpg since your rolling diameter is now larger than the stock! :) Unless this thing is way way off...doubtful alignment will make a materially noticeable difference on mpg.

I just came back a couple weeks ago from a 3300 mile trip from Houston thru various parts of Colorado and Moab, and even including some nice trails runs thru Medano Pass (Great Sand Dunes area), Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison, around Telluride (Last Dollar, Imogene) and then in Moab (Potash/Shafer Trail/Long Canyon), I was pleased to see I averaged a true 17 mpg for the entire trip. Not bad at all! I think my mileage went down due to the Kansas section from Denver to Salina...straight and fast, hung a right turn...down to Houston.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) You get to add back about 5-6% on that mpg to get true mpg since your rolling diameter is now larger than the stock! :) Unless this thing is way way off...doubtful alignment will make a materially noticeable difference on mpg.

I just came back a couple weeks ago from a 3300 mile trip from Houston thru various parts of Colorado and Moab, and even including some nice trails runs thru Medano Pass (Great Sand Dunes area), Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison, around Telluride (Last Dollar, Imogene) and then in Moab (Potash/Shafer Trail/Long Canyon), I was pleased to see I averaged a true 17 mpg for the entire trip. Not bad at all! I think my mileage went down due to the Kansas section from Denver to Salina...straight and fast, hung a right turn...down to Houston.
Woohoo! I posted in the GAP tool section (and IM'd you) but for the benefit of everyone, i think the difference is more like 8.9%! Would be cool if GAP could correct it, I know my speedo is off too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vibration fixed, they claim the front weights fell off but the re fastened them and did high speed balance on it.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Exactly, but you should have the vehicle adjust its height after the driver is out of the vehicle, otherwise the LH side is sitting higher that the RH, as it won't have adjusted for the lack of weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts