RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience of these wheels on a 20" fitment to a 4.4 V8 RR?

I am looking at alternative after market wheels that look different to the standard landrover 20" wheels, I read one post saying they are porous and constantly need re-inflating.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks they are worth the money and if they are quality products or not.

Conversely, has anyone had experience of the Land Rover 20" wheels? Are they any good?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
Is it only 20" wheels you're looking at or would you consider going to 22"?

Due to the air suspension set up on the RR, it does handle larger wheels better than most and 22" wheels can be fitted with a negligable deterioration in ride quality.

Personally I find the Kahn design wheels a little "blingy" for my taste but Overfinch do a couple of designs (albeit a little pricey :shock: ) both for 20 and 22".

I too looked at the LandRover 20" wheels when I bought my TD6 but ended up going the whole hog and going for the Overfinch 22" Tiger wheels which look absolutely stunning in the flesh.

Check out this link to John Craddocks' website for some alternatives for both 20 and 22"...

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/product_search.asp?catid=1&page=wheel

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've seen their site, but apparently the Overfinch Sport Evolution 20" has been discontinued by OF, apparently they were made by Compomotive and the quality was poor, lots of customers complained, so now you can only get the 22" Tigers.

I don't like the Kahn wheels to be honest, and the Overfinch wheels are nearly £4k for a set of four with tyres, which is one hell of alot of money. In comparison, Nene Valley Offroad (http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk) will sell you a set of four genuine Range Rover 20" 7 spoke alloys with Dunlop tyres for only £1599.00. 8)

That's about £1000 cheaper than my local dealer quoted me.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
At that price you can't go too far wrong for OE stuff.

I would be quite apprehensive about fitting most aftermarket wheels to the RR (Overfinch is the exception) due to its weight and the fact that alot of these wheels are manufactured from quite soft grade alloys which are prone to bending.

Another plus point regarding fitting OE is that you won't get any warranty quibbles from your local "stealers!"...My air suspension sprung a leak after only 1000 miles and my local dealer tried to convince me that it was the Overfinch wheels' fault and wanted to charge me £600 for the repairs :x ! It took a phone call to LandRover Customer Services before it was finally sorted under warranty :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like every single dealer on the planet, not just Land Rover ones, they have all been fully trained in 'Warranty claim avoidance tactics' by the SAS.

They'll try and pin the blame on anything they can if it means you have to pay them money

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm looking at all this too. Thing is, I need to be able to get a decent off road tire too. I'd love to hear from those of you with larger overall diameters than the stock 30.5". I'd also like to hear your tire widths, and if it rubs or not. If possible, I'd like to find a 20" wheel, maybe 10" wide, that would hold a (possibly non-existant) 285mm wide offroad tire. Any luck? Also, I've been looking at putting Hamanns on it. I think the 5 spoke looks really nice. Also you all should look at the new OZ Canyons. They should be high quality, look nice, come in 18, 20, and 22" sizes, and are pretty cheap. http://www.tirerack.com sells them.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
If you want to go off road, I'd forget large diameter wheels as they are prone to damage and you'll struggle to find a decent off road tyre...most of the tyres fitted to 20"+rims will be high performance road tyres which will baulk at the mearest hint of wet grass never mind serious off roading!!! :roll:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aero'

Do you have any pics of your car with all those lovely Overfinch bits on?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
Not sure how to post piccies on this board...any ideas?

It does look almost identical to the one shown on the Overfinch Brunel styling thread tho' but with the addition of lamp guards and an A frame

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All you need to do is upload the pictures to an online photo album like Kodak or Flickr.com, then when they are up, get the URL of the pics from it's Properties. When you post here, you'll see an Img tag button, press it once to open the image tag, then paste in the url, then close the tag by pressing again.

If you have trouble, email me the pics and I'll host them and put them up.

Thanks!

Here's my M5!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
@ aeroresh

Oh my God!!! Never seen a Range Rover this beautiful!!!
And I thought I had a beautiful ride, this is absolutely stunning!!!
Did you tune the engine too? I assume you've got the 4.4 V8 ?

EDIT:
Woops! You've got a diesel! So do I!!!
Do you find any trouble with the 22"? I've got the 20", didn't dare to buy the 22" because my dealer was afraid of vibrations, how is that in real life?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys :D

This is the first car I've had that I'd planned and arranged all the mods before I actually bought the car using info mainly obtained from this board so I guess I owe everyone who contributes here a big thanks!

The colour is called Oslo Blue which I believe has now been discontinued for the '05/'06 model years but a fairly poplular choice here in the UK...absolute pain to try and keep clean tho'.

I took a flyer on the 22" wheels after weighing up the pros and cons with the reported vibration+diesel issues. Not really noticable in real life, only a slight vibration in Drive when idling, nothing serious...I normally select nuetral if idling for prolonged periods anyway.

DMS are UK based and are known predominantly for their Porsche and BMW upgrades. Like I said in a previous post (petrol v diesel) it will now keep pace with the V8 whilst still achieving mid 20s MPG if driven sparingly.
Follow this link:-
http://www.dmsautomotive.com/?upid=29&msid=3
Very discreet from a warranty point of view too because the upgrade allows you to revert the car back to standard everytime you take it back to the dealers. :wink:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aero, do you have any pics of the rear end? Keen to see what's been Overfinched there too!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
126 Posts
RRUK, how are these?

...note the hole in the rear apron for the LandRover detachable tow hitch.

The exhausts are tips only (around 400mm long and welded onto the back box I believe).

Quite nice, not OTT and have Overfinch written on them.

Please excuse the backdrop, its due for demolition as soon as our new house is built!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can I ask you where you got all the parts fitted? You mentioned it was all done before you took delivery of it. Did you get an LR dealer to do it or Overfinch themselves?

Can I be REALLY cheeky and ask how much all the Overfinch stuff cost in the end?

It does look superb.I've never been a fan of 'modding' cars, but I'd make an exception for that.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
Aeroresh
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing