21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Defender looks great.
Has defender still diesel engine?
Yes still Diesel for European market and Petrol for North American market. Regardless of that, they all are equipped with an automatic ZF transmission.

Reactions: mylife1903

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So I wanted to get started on a few upgrades but I was met with a frozen solid fan clutch nut that would not come undone. Soaked in PB blaster overnight over 2 days, put a torch to it, hammered it, used long lever...nothing. I decided to sawzall it off. Took 3 min to cut it off. Due to the stress that I think I may have caused, I am going to replace the Water pump to be safe. Although that was unplanned. Now I am contemplating replacing the radiator too since I am there. I have had a brand new radiator for a year as a backup.

But originally, the upgrades I intended to do are:
Eliminate the clutch fan by fitting a bmw electric fan diy'ed to the original fan shroud. No more sounding like a UPS truck!
Replacing the intake manifold with a bmw pre-vanos B40 intake manifold. These ones are direct fit, much bigger runners/bridges and make for nice top end pull.

Deleting the conical shape oil separator and adding an oil catch can. The vacuum line will run from the valve cover to the catch can, then from the catch can to the pcv valve. That is the end of it. Plugging the oil return hole in the oil sump with a 14x1.5 bolt.

As you can tell, I have too much time on my hands with this whole social distancing stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pressing through at slow pace every other afternoon. Gotta love shiny water pump and radiator. I also renewed the valley pan with Uro parts just because it was accessible. I last replaced it 15 months ago. Check out the size difference of the intake manifolds runners/bridges.

Attachments

Reactions: irubix

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Oil separator removed. Oil return line removed. Hollow bolt removed and replaced with standard M12x1.5 oil plug.
Plugged the PCV valve oil return nipple. Working on sourcing 3/4 to 3/8 reducer adapter fittings for the oil catch can lines. I have to make a trip to the hardware store soon for that. The end goal is that the oil catch can will catch all oil from the blow by and vapor. And I shouldn't have any oil in the intake manifold in a perfect world. Even when the PCV valve diaphragm gives up, no oil will be sucked into the intake manifold.
The electric fan and oem shroud are back in. Somewhere in the back of my head throughout this project, I keep hearing...if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Make no apologies! You're blazing the trail. I had been through the thought process of doing a catch can install, but ultimately came to the conclusion that, when working correctly, the OEM PCV and cyclonic oil separator work very well. It's just that when they fail, they cause a whole host of other issues. So I'm particularly interested to see how you mount it and what kind of results you get. It will be really nice to have an intake manifold that will remain clean and virtually oil free!

On the electric fan, I had played with this on my BMW 8 series, but ultimately also decided to revert to the fan clutch mainly because it was too laborious to mount the fan at the lip of the shroud vs on the radiator. I like how you did it!

Reactions: Rovah

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Make no apologies! You're blazing the trail. I had been through the thought process of doing a catch can install, but ultimately came to the conclusion that, when working correctly, the OEM PCV and cyclonic oil separator work very well. It's just that when they fail, they cause a whole host of other issues. So I'm particularly interested to see how you mount it and what kind of results you get. It will be really nice to have an intake manifold that will remain clean and virtually oil free!

On the electric fan, I had played with this on my BMW 8 series, but ultimately also decided to revert to the fan clutch mainly because it was too laborious to mount the fan at the lip of the shroud vs on the radiator. I like how you did it!
Thanks! I really hate installing the cyclonic oil separator to the oil return pipe when renewing the vacuum hoses. Zero room to work with while trying to clamp it.
Here is my oil catch can configuration. Will mount it somewhere to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ahhh so you are retaining the factory PCV valve (on the back of the intake manifold), but just replacing the cyclonic oil separator, I really like that as a compromise, and on a side note I also like the look of the braided tubing you're using too.

On the VF Engineering supercharger kits for the M62TUs, they actually include a blanking plate that deletes the PCV valve on the rear of the intake manifold, which also deletes the oil separator. I've always wondered how they manage the crankcase pressures when they do such a thing...

Also, I noticed you did the smart thing and changed out those annoying tox bolts on the back, kudos. I've had several of those bolts so stuck, that even with the intake manifold removed from the car and on the bench, I haven't been able to remove them without breaking out the bolt extractors.

Reactions: Rovah

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ahhh so you are retaining the factory PCV valve (on the back of the intake manifold), but just replacing the cyclonic oil separator, I really like that as a compromise, and on a side note I also like the look of the braided tubing you're using too.

On the VF Engineering supercharger kits for the M62TUs, they actually include a blanking plate that deletes the PCV valve on the rear of the intake manifold, which also deletes the oil separator. I've always wondered how they manage the crankcase pressures when they do such a thing...

Also, I noticed you did the smart thing and changed out those annoying tox bolts on the back, kudos. I've had several of those bolts so stuck, that even with the intake manifold removed from the car and on the bench, I haven't been able to remove them without breaking out the bolt extractors.
Yeah the crankcase pressure has to be managed. I also wonder how VF accomplishes that. I can see a lot of valve cover gaskets and other seals leaking prematurely. As much as I would like doing away with the pcv valve, I don't have the luxury for trials and expensive repairs lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is what the inside of the catch can looks like just after 10 miles...yuck

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Alright after 100 miles I revisited the idea. If anyone is considering doing this, please stick to a 3/4 diameter vacuum hose. Do not go any lower. There is a reason why there were 3/4 hoses to and from the oem cyclonic oil separator. This engine likes to breathe. I was starting to notice pressure in the crankcase and then the dipstick o-ring started showing small oil leak. This do over on the catch can type and bigger diameter vacuum hose fixed it. No performance issue noted. Happy camper!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Camping in my driveway was a thing during social distancing. I ditched it a couple of times for the comfy home AC though. No sense in sweating when camping at home lol

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I could stare at it all day...6 feet away or not.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts