RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed OEM electric steps on my MY15 RRS SC and now it’s time for programming. I have a basic diagnostic/reader, the LRII, but was thinking of investing the $150 the dealer charges to program in a better more capable tool if there is one that will program the electric steps and not cost over 500 or so?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
am interested to know if these are hard to install as well. I have the electronic steps sitting in my garage for months now ( I mean months) and have never gotten around to installing them. I hope they were not to difficult to install. Also i am very interested to know how the programming turns out. I don't have a dealer where am located (United States Virgin Islands) or any shop that has the computer that works with the newer land rover vehicles. So i would either have to purchase a tool and do it myself or fly in a technician to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I needed no programming after all. Imagine that, I do not know why. I installed them and did the master turn on or initiate procedure and they just work. They work perfectly. All the functions as listed in the operator s manual that came with them work flawlessly. I’m amped.

Regarding the install, It took me alone about 6 hours. It wasn’t that difficult as the cars are already pre wired or (prepped) to an extent. If your ok with being under the car removing the plastic covers which is about 25 bolts/fasteners and the removing some interior pieces for the DSS wire harness then you should be fine. There is no work in the front of th RCRA or dash to be done other than changing out the stock trunk lid switch with the one that has DSS button. All the work in the in the rear of the car and under neath.

I spent a lot of time getting the correct step part numbers. I Ultimately ended up installing step part numbers vplgp0317 / 316. Which are the right and left steps. These are the newest slimmest design and about an inch thinner than the original part numbers 178/179 which have been superseded.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nice work. I installed the tow package myself on my 2014 years ago and I swore I would never attempt an install myself again. Took me a whole day working with my buddy and I had a few scars at the end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok cool. AM going to give it a shot. Do you have an installation manual that you can share with me? So I can make sure I install the DSS correctly.

Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok cool. AM going to give it a shot. Do you have an installation manual that you can share with me? So I can make sure I install the DSS correctly.

Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
32 Posts
I needed no programming after all. Imagine that, I do not know why. I installed them and did the master turn on or initiate procedure and they just work. They work perfectly. All the functions as listed in the operator s manual that came with them work flawlessly. I’m amped.

Regarding the install, It took me alone about 6 hours. It wasn’t that difficult as the cars are already pre wired or (prepped) to an extent. If your ok with being under the car removing the plastic covers which is about 25 bolts/fasteners and the removing some interior pieces for the DSS wire harness then you should be fine. There is no work in the front of th RCRA or dash to be done other than changing out the stock trunk lid switch with the one that has DSS button. All the work in the in the rear of the car and under neath.

I spent a lot of time getting the correct step part numbers. I Ultimately ended up installing step part numbers vplgp0317 / 316. Which are the right and left steps. These are the newest slimmest design and about an inch thinner than the original part numbers 178/179 which have been superseded.

ok i got them installed. It came with a manual. Took me a whole days work. Anyhow what is the master turn on or initiate procedure that you are referring to. They are installed, everything plugged in, and switch is installed in the dash but it doesn't work. The truck switch works and the dimmer but not the DSS. SOOOOOOO, what exactly is the master turn on or initiate procedure that you mentioned. Lol

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i got them installed. It came with a manual. Took me a whole days work. Anyhow what is the master turn on or initiate procedure that you are referring to. They are installed, everything plugged in, and switch is installed in the dash but it doesn't work. The truck switch works and the dimmer but not the DSS. SOOOOOOO, what exactly is the master turn on or initiate procedure that you mentioned. Lol

Matt
Beginning with the car off, 1) press and hold the DSS button 2) press the engine start button. Let off the DSS button when you see a series of flashes on the button led.

If done correct, the DSS button will flash 3 times to indicate system is on, two flashes indicates system is off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wondering what the cost of the steps were? Very expensive if purchased from the dealer here in OZ.
At this point if the car didn't come with the DSS setup already. I believe the route I took was the cheaper option plus I had fun doing the install myself. Made me appreciate the steps even more. Ha Ha

The dealership in Houston quoted me $3855.37 (parts) plus $318.07 (tax) = $4,173.44
plus an additional labor charge of $1200.00 if i was to use them.

I purchased the parts at another dealership up North that also have an online store where they sell Land Rover parts at a lightly cheaper cost.

So i paid $3343.79 (parts) + $267.50 (shipping) = $3,611.29
and the labor charge I saved because I did it myself.

Ive had my car for 4 years now and love it and appreciate even more now after doing the DSS install.

2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharge Dynamic (black)
with Startech Exhaust
all car molding painted black
black wheels 22"
with upgraded tire size 305/40/22 (love the look of the 305) would love to go bigger.
reverse led light
.......debating to do an ECU tuning and pulley upgrade

·
Registered
32 Posts
Beginning with the car off, 1) press and hold the DSS button 2) press the engine start button. Let off the DSS button when you see a series of flashes on the button led.

If done correct, the DSS button will flash 3 times to indicate system is on, two flashes indicates system is off.
Thank you for all your help. That worked just as stated. Took me some time to get it installed but i finally got it all on and it came out great. Thanks for everything. After seeing your original post, it inspired me to just do it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts