RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m writing from Chile, recently i´ve bought a 2004 L332 with 188000 km (116817.784 miles) on it.
The vehicle has an issue with the gasoline indicator which is always empty with the light on since i´ve bought it. The previous owner said he changed the gasoline tank floater. Maybe the problem can be between the tank and the dashboard? an electric one?
By the way, the fuel pump sounds so i must change it soon plus the fuel filter, probably the next month.

Regards to all.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
you have to fill the tank and then 'tell' the body module about it.
meaning the new gauge has to be calibrated.
(Si prefiere lo escribo en español, no hay problema)

this has to do with the saddle model of the tank, it would never know how much you really have.

if this is not the issue, please check continuity. 2,3,5 and 6 are directly linked to the instrument panel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have to fill the tank and then 'tell' the body module about it.
meaning the new gauge has to be calibrated.
(Si prefiere lo escribo en español, no hay problema)

this has to do with the saddle model of the tank, it would never know how much you really have.

if this is not the issue, please check continuity. 2,3,5 and 6 are directly linked to the instrument panel.
I didnt understand what you refer of calibrating the gauge, can you re explain with more details? (amigo, no se si los anglos permitan escribir en castellano aquí, pero si esta permitido, adelante ;-))

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
El nivel 'lleno' se programa con un aparatito diagnóstico como el IIdTool o Faultmate. Se encuentra en el menú del panel de instrumentos.

The level 'full' has to be programmed with a diagnostic tool such as IIdTool or Faulmate.

It is the instrument panel that stores it.

Usually you only need to touch it after changing the pump and if you didn't know that the levels had to be the same.
Hapoened to me

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Something to remember is that you have two fuel level sensors. When changing the pump/float assembly or the secondary unit, you must follow proper procedures. If the previous owner did not follow procedures your symptoms are a perfect example of what happens.

When ever working inside the tank you MUST drain the tank as your first step. Then you must remove the key from ignition. failure to remove the key will result in the fuel guage remembering it's needle position and reverting to that position when repairs have been completed... regardless of fuel level. Once the key is removed disconnect the negative battery cable.

When repairs are completed connect the negative cable then refill your tank. The key removal and battery disconnect resets float and gauge adaptations to zero/empty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something to remember is that you have two fuel level sensors. When changing the pump/float assembly or the secondary unit, you must follow proper procedures. If the previous owner did not follow procedures your symptoms are a perfect example of what happens.

When ever working inside the tank you MUST drain the tank as your first step. Then you must remove the key from ignition. failure to remove the key will result in the fuel guage remembering it's needle position and reverting to that position when repairs have been completed... regardless of fuel level. Once the key is removed disconnect the negative battery cable.

When repairs are completed connect the negative cable then refill your tank. The key removal and battery disconnect resets float and gauge adaptations to zero/empty.
Ty, you said very useful information, but i don't know what the previous owner exactly done. In any case the fuel pump sounds a lot, soon i will replace it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

RRToadHall, can you explain with more details this process please?.
Today has arrived the fuel pump i've bought from UK last week, so before it get installed i want your reset feedback, step by step if it is possible.

btw: the courier delivery was really fast, took almost 3-4 days to cross through the world. Im used to wait between 7-15 business days.

Regards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monday's morning i've left the RR at the garage to change the fuel pump, fix the fuel indicator issue and others, monday's afternoon the garage manager called me and said the pump was succesfully installed and the fuel indicator was fixed.

Yesterday's morning he called me again and told me the fuel indicator is marking empty level again, till then i haven't any news.

I don't know if they applied the correct steps to configurate the ECU with the new pump, but if the the indicator worked properly monday's afternoon why it can relapse again with the same problem?.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uptade:

The new fuel pump lasted a day and a half, the assembly quality is good but the the pump indeed not. I'm dissapointed, but think it was a bit of bad luck. Now i've to assume the task to buy the original Bosch fuel pump, and try to fit it in the new assembly.

The mechanics put the old noisy fuel pump again, but at least works.

The fuel level indicator is aparently fixed. There was an erratic electric conection between floater 1# and 2#.

Bosch HFP-438

1 - 9 of 9 Posts