RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems with "New to Me" RRS - Advice/Moral Support?

Hey guys,
First time poster, first time LR owner. I've been lurking these forums for the past two months as I was deciding which vehicle to buy, and now for all the issues I've been dealing with. Bought a 2013 RRS SC Limited Edition at the beginning of February. 70k miles on the odometer and pretty decent service history. Always wanted to Land Rover - finally pulled the trigger. Everything was fantastic until I noticed leaks...leaks everywhere! I don't know if I was new car blinded or what, but it took me a few weeks to notice the leaks, no engine lights, nothing. Called the dealer where I got it (local BMW dealer) and they pretty much said "good luck". Took it to an Indy where I had all my Volvo work done, they told me the most pressing issue is my rear sway bar/ACE, leaking horribly. Informed me the truck needs to be taken apart (which I verified on here) and that it's a whole new swaybar that has to go in. It's currently at the dealer, 4k for the repair/labor, haven't even made my first payment. Dealer calls me today, also found rear main seal leak, quoting me over 2k to fix that. This is on top of the knocking that was apparent on cold mornings (think its the viscious fan clutch?). I'm probably going to go back to my Indy to see what they say about the oil leak, fingers crossed it's not the rear main. I'm hoping that after dealing with this, it runs trouble free for a while, I was prepared to pay for some maintenance, but this is killing me. Anyway, that's me and my story. Just wanted to intro myself to the forums and blow off some steam. Seems like a cool community, see ya guys around!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Problems with "New to Me" RRS - Advice/Moral Support?

Sorry to hear that not a good way to start out with your new car. my car had 8k in repairs that needed doing the first 5 days i had it luckily the dealer provided a 90 day guarantee which covered most of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any trouble since? I feel like it's a mixed bag on here of both problems and problem free vehicles. Hoping that with some TLC I can get this thing back to being dependable

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 13 RR Sport SC and if you use the dealership as your go-to for repairs you will die a very painful death of frustration and cash loss. Lol. If you can't do the repairs, find a good Indie that specializes in LR. I learned this the hard way unfortunately. The dealer (you would think) is the guru but they suck and love to throw parts at problems instead of finding root causes or actually diagnose things correctly. Their markup on parts is astronomical too. Sway bar is a $200-$300 job unless yours is like mine and the bolts are corroded and they have to drill them out or drop the subframe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What!!! I thought I looked, swaybar that I could find was about 1200 (rear not front). Dealers price was a sweet 2200. Then I guess the chassis has to come off the frame to replace? My Indy shop told me they couldn't do it because of that reason, they said they even looked band it's a non serviceable part since all the hydraulics are built in. It' sanother grand for labor and 500 to bleed and flush and service the ACE. Grand total like 38ish if I remember correctly. I will definitely be taking back to Indy for the supposed rear main seal leak. I honestly didn't see any oil, so I don't know what they saw there. Oil is at Max and has stayed there according to the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ahhh maybe the rear is more expensive. The front is pretty simple as long as they can get the bolts out. There are guys with more experience than me that maybe can give you better advice but I would be very careful with what the dealer says for sure. I almost ended up suing LR because the dealer made a mistake and kept lying about it. Call diff Indie shops and compare what they say. Make sure they are all telling you the same thing. I am yet to come across a LR specialty shop that steered me wrong, but there aren't many in my area either. From talking to other RR owners it seems the suspension starts causing problems around 60-7k miles. It's one of the few suspension systems that can be more expensive than MB ABC suspension unfortunately. Lots of guys on this forum have good ideas about how to cut some of the costs too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya, I've read other posts on here that echo your statements about the dealer and trust issues. So far so good with the suspension. I was aware of air suspension issues popping up around this mileage, and had money (had) to address that if needed. Your 13 rrs SC holding up good?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah decent other than the suspension that is failing piece by piece. I've had it almost 3 years. Replaced water pump, 2 fuel filters, struts, supercharger snout, couple sensors, battery, steering wheel volume control, and some other minor things. I would prob never buy one without a warranty unless I could do some of this work myself. I know some people get lucky and have very few issues but this is the least reliable car I have ever had lol. In fairness to the car, it has never left me stranded or broke down anywhere and I've driven it across country and back twice so I have to give it some credit. It is also the only seat that doesn't bother my back. If they were more reliable I would love it. The power it has in reference to the size and weight is awesome and i love the body style. It goes thru brakes really fast too. Those are not cheap either but if u do them urself it saves quite a bit. Sorry, I am probably the worst person to ask. For the money, I just expected a better product from this company.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That doesn't seem to bad of a list of repairs. I still may get an extended warranty, I called a few places. Lots of power train coverage, not many will touch the suspension though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: Got the truck back, 4k seems to have fixed the leak from the swaybar! That got me ACE service, and the new swaybar (rear). I'm looking into warranty at the moment. But took about a 2 hr drive last night and seems to be running perfect, however, it was running fine before all this. What a vehicle, I can see how people get attached to these things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts