RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

Any good suggestions for a replacement battery alternative to OEM for my '03 RR HSE? My alternator failed and, in so doing, damaged my battery to the point that it won't hold a charge.

I have the full extended warranty but, as is typical, you never get what you paid for when it comes to this costly coverage. LR Warranty folks approved the new alternator but are refusing to pay for a new battery, even though the alternator failing damaged the battery. Obviously, had the alternator NOT failed, I would not need a new battery. LR Warranty is insisting that batteries are a replacement item and that I need to eat it.

Separately, they are also saying I should replace the drive belts -- $275. Sounds like a lot for belts.

Any ideas how to handle this? Worst come to worst, I am hell-bent if I'm paying $380 for an OEM battery from the frickin' dealer.

Sincerely,

Steamed in San Francisco

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Re: Problems with LR Warranty folks - battery replacement needed

The way to handle this is simple, you buy a new battery. It isn't covered under warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have replaced batteries for some years on Range Rovers with Interstate brand batteries and the dealer actually suggests this brand as a replacement as well. I just bought one for my 2006 for around $200.00.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Since92 said:
I have replaced batteries for some years on Range Rovers with Interstate brand batteries and the dealer actually suggests this brand as a replacement as well. I just bought one for my 2006 for around $200.00.
That's what I was thinking also: If I have to pay for a new battery because the alternator failed, then I should be able to buy the battery I want, not the overpriced OEM battery that the dealer wants to sell me. One question, though: If I install an Interstate Battery will that mean I run afoul of the warranty gods again when something else fails down the road? One would think it should not matter given that the warranty wouldn't cover a new battery anyway. That's not what I am concerned about. What concerns me is having the warranty gods come up with some other convoluted tactic to get out of paying for another warranty repair on account that the battery was not OEM. Any experience there?

Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, any ideas where I can find info on how to replace the old and install the new battery in an '03 RR? I have the service manual CD-ROM somewhere but thought someone on this board might have performed that replacement already and has some info/tips.

ketel

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts

9 out of 10 dealers here would install Interstate as a replacement anyway, since the OEMs they pop into new Land Rovers in Europe (made by Varta, I think) are not distributed in North America. Get something in the OEM group size and with or better-than OEM specs and, unless acid spills over and destroys your engine, they will be hard pressed to deny warranty claims in the future because you purchased your battery elsewhere. :wink: I bought an Interstate as replacement for my RRS two years ago (model MTP-H8) and have been very happy so far. If I were in the market for a new battery right now though, I would look at DieHard Platinums (available at Sears), which are rebadged Odyssey batteries - best batteries out there IMHO - but a lot cheaper and with an even better warranty. Not sure if there is a size compatible with your RR, though.

·
Registered
623 Posts

If it's not too late and your a member of AAA, call them. They'll come out to the house, change the battery and give you a good warranty for a nominal price...

·
Registered
116 Posts

Ketal,

I posted a write up when I replaced my battery... Do a quick search and you should find it.

Only change I figured out is if you pull the small metal clip at the bottom of the shock that holds up the hood, you do not have to unscrew the shock.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks all for the responses. I was a bit pressed for time so I had the dealer replace the battery with an OEM unit and called it a day.

I did not agree to the belt service as I felt I would rather look into performing that service myself. If anyone knows of a good DIY link or other info on replacing drive belts in a 4.4 RR, please forward!

thanks,

ketel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts