Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
So my relatively new to me 2006 Range Rover HSE (4.4 Jag engine) was dripping something. A quick look underneath confirms that transmission fluid is leaking from around the "sleeve" where the electronics plug into the transmission. I order a new sleeve and fluid and filter kit from thectsc.com. I also download their instructions for sleeve replacement.

I drain the old fluid and drop the pan/filter. Truck has about 72K miles, and the stamp inside the pan indicates it's original. Fluid is dark, but not burnt smelling, and there's no metal in the pan - just a little silver/grey dust on the magnets in the pan. That's the good news.

I got the old sleeve out. To do so, you need to pull down on a plastic locking mechanism to allow the sleeve to pull out. I push the new sleeve in and then push up on the locking mechanism to lock the new one in place. Won't budge. It's plastic, so I obviously don't want to force it off. So I've left it sitting outside, hoping that someone on this board (RRPhil, for example) who knows more about these transmissions than I do will give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Jon

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,381 Posts
Jon,

Unfortunately I don’t have any practical experience of the 6HP26. However both the Land Rover and the ZF Workshop Manuals simply state that the electrical connector should be inserted and the retaining clip engaged. Presumably the electrical connector can only be replaced in one position?

Phil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I've contacted Klaus at thectsc.com (California distributor of ZF parts), and he indicated that I may not have pushed the sleeve in far enough. (Which is quite difficult on the RR, as the transfer case and cross member prevent good access to the part. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks again.

PS -- I've really enjoyed reading your multiple posts on these transmissions -- you clearly know your stuff, and your willingness to share your knowledge is much appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! It turns out that I hadn't greased the o-rings on the new sleeve enough. A little more grease, and it slid right in and the locking mechanism slid right into place. I still need to fill it up with fluid, but hopefully this problem is solved.

I'm glad I didn't follow my first instinct, which was to bash it with a hammer.

By the way, thectsc.com has good instructions on their website for replacing the sleeve, filter and fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Joe, it is not necessary to remove the valve body to do this job. You just need to drop the transmission pan to access the locking mechanism and remove and replace the sleeve. No need to remove the valve body.

-Greg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
57 Posts
Jon,
I am doing my transmission flush now. However, I am having a really hard time removing the sleeve. How did you get it out? I pulled the white locking tab down, but just cant seem to get the darn sleeve out....Thanks
M

Success! It turns out that I hadn't greased the o-rings on the new sleeve enough. A little more grease, and it slid right in and the locking mechanism slid right into place. I still need to fill it up with fluid, but hopefully this problem is solved.

I'm glad I didn't follow my first instinct, which was to bash it with a hammer.

By the way, thectsc.com has good instructions on their website for replacing the sleeve, filter and fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts