RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out my youtube video below with my RANT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quHfY0I5A74

Having problems with my 2006 Range Rover, and the dealer says it is because of my aftermarket windshield which is actually made by Pinkerton glass co with Range Rover part numbers on it, but no Range Rover logo.

My vehicle has had problems with the automatic headlights since I bought it used. What happens is when you turn on the car at night with the headlight switch in automatic mode the lights turns on and in a few seconds they shut off.

Now if you start the car in the daylight with the automatic mode the headlights turn on and then turn off as well, but when you drive into a dark area the headlights turn on.

The first time the dealer fixed it. When I recieved my car back the sensor still did not work. When I took it back they told me it was because I have aftermarket glass and refused to fix it under warranty. They now want me to spend $1500 on a new factory Range Rover window that is made by Pinkerton as well, and can not guarantee me that it will solve the problem.

That makes me think it is not the windshield problem but something else, but the dealer will not go any further until I replace the windshield for a stock one.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Re: Problem with Rain Sensor and Auto Headlights in 2006 Model

Anybody know if you can insist that the Insurance Company replace your RR windscreen with the Branded/LOGO OEM item if you get it replaced due to chipping etc. and only pay the excess?

·
Registered
144 Posts

Pinkerton? :?:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts

This lot - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilkington

They make the screens for Land Rover, but can't put the Land Rover logo onto any non LR screens due to the logo license. It's the same screen though, just with the Pilkington logo.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Is it possible that their non LR branded screen is different than the LR one? How do you know they are the same? I do know the properties of the windscreen are integral to the systems you are having issues with.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Yes, I know full well who Pilkington are, I was wondering about Pinkerton.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Gazellio said:
Anybody know if you can insist that the Insurance Company replace your RR windscreen with the Branded/LOGO OEM item if you get it replaced due to chipping etc. and only pay the excess?
I think my question above was misanderstood....

Can you insist that the Insurer uses a LR branded screen rather than a non-branded copy/replacement?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts

RWDRIFT said:
Check out my youtube video below with my RANT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quHfY0I5A74
So what exactly is your rain sensor prob? Have you tried to twist clockwise to be more sensitive? Is anything blocking the passenger side of the back of the rear view mirror (in other words the little eyelet looking thingy in the back of the rearview mirror)?

I was having probs with mine, but my ez-pass was blocking it, and it was on the least sensitive setting.

Suerte

·
Registered
952 Posts

Gazellio said:
Gazellio said:
I think my question above was misanderstood....

Can you insist that the Insurer uses a LR branded screen rather than a non-branded copy/replacement?
The answer is it depends on your insurance company. Call them and ask. Seems to me though that the time to ask that is before they install the replacement screen not after. May be a tough sell at this point.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My problem with my rain sensor is more for the automatic lights since they control them.

Right now, if I have my car in automatic mode for the headlights they will work fine if the car starts outside in the daylight. Once I go into a dark area the headlights will automatically turn on like normal.

The main problem is if I start the automatic headlights in the dark first. They turn off at 10 secs, even though its pitch black.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you ever find an answer to this problem?

·
Registered
169 Posts

I have the same problem. Haven't figured it out either.

On auto, all my lights turn off ~10 seconds after starting the car. They come back at about ~30 seconds. All other headlight functions work fine

·
Registered
703 Posts

I have the same problem. Haven't figured it out either.

On auto, all my lights turn off ~10 seconds after starting the car. They come back at about ~30 seconds. All other headlight functions work fine
I had this exact problem on two occasions. It lasted about a week, and then miraculously fixed itself. I have no idea what caused it or why.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Maybe you changed some bulbs? Disconnected the battery? Washed the windshield? Mine's been doing it for months now. Pretty irritating

·
Registered
169 Posts

Update on this issue:

I found out that my previous owner replaced the windshield with a non-OEM / non-factory / non-Pilkington version. My rain sensor doesnt work properly either. This is definitely the problem if anyone ever comes across this

·
Registered
703 Posts

This is interesting. The auto light issue has happened on my Rover a handful of times, but always goes away. It's very sporadic, occurring for a week at a time once a year or so.

I also have a weird rain sensor issue. If I put the wipers into "auto" mode, they won't turn on automatically when it starts raining. I have to rotate the intermittent wiper sensitivity adjustment one notch and then back again. Then it will automatically sense the rain for the remainder of the trip and adjust the wiper frequency accordingly. I have to do this all over again if I take the keys out of the ignition.

The windscreen was replaced a LONG time ago.

·
Registered
703 Posts

So... I noticed the the rain/light sensor on my windshield apparently wasn't installed properly when the windshield was replaced. There are small bubbles in the adhesive between the optical sensor and the windshield.

Question: Has anyone removed this sensor and tried to reapply it? What is the procedure?

I would like to reseat the sensor on the windshield to get rid of the bubbles (which is probably causing the headlight and wiper issues.)

·
Registered
703 Posts

Pic of sensor. It's hard to see the bubbles, but they're there.

sensor.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts

Flash G, for what is is worth my Rover when I bought it had the exact same symptom. Rain sensors would not work without first moving the stalk then coming back to Auto. Once i'd done that though they worked perfect until the next time. I personally didn't mind that as it prevented them automatically going when I really didn't want them too.

I had an FY windshield in there at that time. I just had my glass replaced with another FY, and now my rain sensor isn't working at all.

EDIT: And I just noticed this thread is nearly a year old. Oops.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Flash G, for what is is worth my Rover when I bought it had the exact same symptom. Rain sensors would not work without first moving the stalk then coming back to Auto. Once i'd done that though they worked perfect until the next time. I personally didn't mind that as it prevented them automatically going when I really didn't want them too.

I had an FY windshield in there at that time. I just had my glass replaced with another FY, and now my rain sensor isn't working at all.

EDIT: And I just noticed this thread is nearly a year old. Oops.

I finally fixed this with a $6 3M pad and some "goo-be-gone" solution.

Here's what I did... I CAREFULLY pried the sensor from the windshield. There is a double-stick adhesive pad that attaches the sensor to the windshield. I peeled off as much of the gooey pad as I could from the sensor and the windshield. Then I took the "goo-be-gone" (acetone) and thoroughly cleaned the remaining sticky stuff from the windshield AND the sensor. My problem seemed to be that there was a gooey haze all over the sensor. I cleaned this off completely and bought a new sensor pad. I reapplied the new pad to the SENSOR FIRST. Then I carefully re-installed it on the windscreen.

Problem fixed. Lights work correctly and auto-sensing wipers work again now too.

Here's the pad I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MERCEDES-ROVER-75-RAIN-SENSOR-LENS-ACRYLIC-ADHESIVE-PAD-/121507199404?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts