RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in September 2017 I ordered a new 2018 Range Rover Sport Autobiography with Velocity Blue SVO paint. My understanding from my Land Rover dealership is that the the RRS was built in December 2017, but delayed 6 months because of the SVO paint (which they said was done outside of the factory somewhere else int he UK). I took delivery of the RRS last month (June 2018), 9 months after my order. I bought the car from the dealership assuming it was defect-free (lesson learned), but as soon as I got home I noticed a number of issues in the paint. First, the back tailgate was scratched through to make an indentation in the tailgate itself. I took it back to the dealer, they sent it out for 2 weeks and had the back tailgate repainted. While I was not happy at having a repaint on a brand new RRS, the tailgate repaint actually tuned out well when I went to pick up the car again. Then when I got home again that night and I started looking the car over more carefully in my garage a whole lot of paint flaws jumped out. On the hood, for example, there are numerous scratches and inconsistencies in the paint as well as numerous little imperfections that almost look like raised cracks that you can feel protruding up from the paint when you run your finger across them (almost like a grain of sand or a little hair got under the paint when the paint process was being done). Then I look at my driver side of the car and the shade of paint is noticeably darker on the driver side front door compared to the driver side rear door. Everyone notices this. I've now had the car for about a month, most of that time it has been int he paint shop, and the only miles that have been put on it are to go back and forth to the dealer and paint shop (about 500 miles total on the RRS), and I'm now at a loss for what to do. So, I'm looking for advice. Is it reasonable for me to insist that the dealer take the car back and refund the amount I paid for it? While I've read about delays on the SVO paint, is there any documentation / thread out there that shows Land Rover is having actual recurring quality problems with certain SVO paints like Velocity Blue? This unfortunately has become a frustrating headache and I want to find a fair resolution with my dealer. In some sense, I feel bad for the dealer and feel that they, in turn, should take up this issue with Land Rover North America. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I'm new here and will try to post photos so you can see the different shades of paint on the door panels, as well as close-ups of some of the flaws in the hood paint.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
When you pay that much for SVO paint on an AB it should be perfect. Sadly all SVO paints were discontinued across the board due to supplier/quality issues for several months. There is also the slim possibility that the car was damaged in initial shipping and sent back for a repaint... thus the seriously flawed paint. It is actually not uncommon for flaws or damage to be discovered during PDI. New cars are then sent to local high quality body shop for repairs, panel replacement and section repaint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your feedback. I called Land Rover USA today and gave them my VIN. I learned that the vehicle was dispatched from the port to the dealership on April 20th. More than 3 weeks later, on May 12th, the dealership sales guy told me the vehicle was "finally on a boat" and then, more than 7 weeks after the vehicle was dispatched from the port to the dealership, I was told the car is ready. Does it normally take >7 weeks for a vehicle to go from the port to the dealership? The dealership obviously received a defective vehicle, and I'm trying to determine if they tried to do repair work on the paint between the time they took delivery and then sold it to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2018-07-18 11.43.17.jpg
Look at the different shades of door panel -- it is even more obvious in person as you walk around the vehicle and see the doors from different angles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some close-ups of the original bumper (which the dealership had repaired after delivery) as well as some of the many defects in the paint on the hood.

IMG_2463.JPG
IMG_2464.jpg
2018-07-09 18.32.35.jpg
2018-07-09 22.02.46.jpg
2018-07-09 22.03.52.jpg
2018-07-09 22.05.04.jpg
2018-07-09 22.05.32.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
294 Posts
Wow that’s terrible. Can definitely tell drivers door was reshot.

It usually takes a week to get from port to dealer, but sometimes a bit longer. Never heard of more than 3 weeks, let alone 10.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really sorry to read your experience. That is so deflating and disappointing after waiting so long for something special. I can relate as I just waited 6+ months for my SVR. As noted above by the admin, Land Rover at the port can discover body issues and have work done at their body shop or a local one, and then release the vehicle to the dealers. I suspect sometimes they don't even tell the dealers unless an enquiry is made from them and often customers have no idea. But it has to be pretty uncommon overall.

There is no way a vehicle leaves SVO like that. I am guessing trying to match Velocity with the paint codes by a body shop was a bit off as evidenced by the drivers door. Even when auto companies make different batches of the same color paint there can be. minor differences from batch to batch.

I ordered my SVR with an SVO paint (Bosphorus Grey) in late December and it was built in March. It was held at the port for over 3 weeks due to an issue with the clearcoat over the exposed carbon fiber and I got it a week ago. It's strange that yours took so long overall. Fortunately for me the paint is perfect. But I would be so disappointed if mine was handed over like yours. Your dealership needs to come clean and take the vehicle back. Escalate the issue with Land Rover North America right away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
^^ was going to say in my post above, the dealer probably damaged the door and it maybe took two tries to get it as close as they got it which is still way off. Aluminum is also more challenging for body shops to work with. Not sure how else they can explain the 7 week delay. In your case I don't think the Port performed any repairs. just for clarity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your thoughts and advice on this, much appreciated! Quick update is that I've spoken with the dealership GM and he 100% agrees with me -- so far, dealership has been great given fact pattern here, but ultimately comes down to how this finally gets resolved. Dealership is working on factory buy-back of defective vehicle, and I should know more next week. If that happens, I'll just order a new one in exact same configuration. Annoying that I'll have to wait again, but what else can I do at this point... Key question I have is if Land Rover factory has a quality problem with Velocity Blue SVO paint. Would be bad if new one came and also had clear and obvious paint flaws -- while I certainly suspect my current paint issues are all the result of repaint done after vehicle left factory, part of me wonders if there is a small chance the factory has quality problems in this particular paint as I understand this color (all SVO colors?) is pained in the UK at another paint shop and not in the factory like the "regular" colors. Has anyone had a good first-hand experience getting Velocity Blue and able to confirm that there is not a quality problem with this paint at the factory?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
294 Posts
There’s no chance it’s a factory issue. They have a state of the art paint facility for SVO and master painters apply it by hand.

I would be 100% certain the dealer lied to you, most the damage happens on the boat and port, and is fixed by people at port before going to dealer. At least that’s been my experience.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There’s no chance it’s a factory issue. They have a state of the art paint facility for SVO and master painters apply it by hand.

I would be 100% certain the dealer lied to you, most the damage happens on the boat and port, and is fixed by people at port before going to dealer. At least that’s been my experience.

Agreed. The SVO facility has only 2 paint booths and I heard only 4 people doing the painting. That's why there is such a queue and wait to get them done. They know what they're doing. My SVO paint is just stunning.

Anyway, just guessing but I bet the wait won't be as long for a 2019. LR definitely had a bottleneck sorting out issues in early 2018. And hopefully LR North America can prioritize your order somehow. I think these vehicles are worth it.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
I agree with others, this happened during shipment/transportation. I just can't see this leaving the factory like this.

I remember when our Audi got in an accident and was repainted (I'm OCD and I couldn't tell it was repainted), at lease turn-in the Inspector asked if it had repainted. I asked how he knew. He said something to the effect (I'm sure I have the terminology wrong), that you can tell a slight difference because the clear coat when painted in the states it's water based and when it leaves the factory it's solvent based. Might show up more on Velocity Blue. That doesn't explain the paint defects...but maybe the mismatched color.

This just stinks on so many levels. It's reassuring that your dealer is doing their best to get this issue resolved.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully they will let you drive around your current vehicle until your new vehicle comes in. I believe if you order now it will be a 2019.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts