RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news is I am about an hour away from the nearest land rover dealership, but I guess the good news is I am about 1-3 hours drive from about 4 dealers (some I have family nearby and visit often).

Referring to 75K maintenance on Sport...
(1) my old dealer some lady told me $625 today. When I called a month ago inquiring the guy said "you had most things done already, so probably really $450". Problem is this is 3 hours away and I don't have any family here any more.
(2) dealer a hour away quoted $1,450!
(3) dealer 4 hours away, wants $750.
(4) dealer 2 hours away, wants $850
(5) another dealer 3 hours away...doesn't pick up phone lol

They all have the same checklist. Why does the price vary so much? Do you think some dealers are skipping things?

I am sure I am not the first person to think this, but a lot of the stuff "check horn" I don't need them to do, and a lot of things like cabin filters I can do myself. Basically number 1 and 2 I can (or any other idiot) can do himself. Besides the filters, is there anything else a normal person can do or at least watch a 10 minute youtube video and figure out?

Saves a little money...sure, but more importantly I just want to work on my own car and get to know it a little more.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 5.19.55 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 5.20.03 AM.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The checklist is kind of the guide, find out what each dealership is actually doing. At that interval, a lot of places will be recommending changing all of your driveline fluids, not just the transfer case. I personally stay away from the whole K service, and base it more so on what the vehicle needs, not just a menu priced job.

For example, your standard 30 or 45k service is very near in price at my shop and at a local dealership, however one is a glorified oil change, and the ours includes an induction service and filter replacements, along with all of the basic checks to make sure the vehicle is how it should be.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i can feel the pain. I am about to have ALL fluids changed per the 75k and 90k intervals at one time. Dealer is 2 hours away, no trusty indy in area. 80k mi. on truck. So i know i am about to get hit :( But I like the truck, want it serviced up-to-date.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
You are in "los angeles"... why are you going to the dealer out of warranty? If you provide a real location I am sure there is a local, trusted, recommended indie to cut your price and most likely give better service.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
434 Posts
You could diy oil, air and cabin filters for less than $100. Dealer may only be doing transmission pan/fluid at 75k - I had ammco do that for $200 with zf fluid. I also did the diffs and tcase at ammco for about $100 each with dealer fluid. Ammco could do quick courtesy check on brakes etc for free. Then I'm sure you can also do wipers, horn, lights etc. Yourself ...

So , yes , need to check exactly what each dealer is doing for the $, but there is nothing here that any compotent shop cannot do. Our ZF transmissions are in a lot of fords as well - so nothing special there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts