RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be towing my travel trailer about 4k miles round trip in two months time what do you all recommend I take care of before we set off? My Vehicle is a ATB with the Supercharged V8 and 82k miles on the clock.

I was thinking of doing the following before I leave:

Waterpump (Maybe)
Front Differential Fluid
Rear Differential Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Transmission Filter
Oil Change & Filter

Additionally i'll be doing another oil change about 2k miles into the trip.

Pic of my setup below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
153 Posts
Sweet set-up! Be sure the windshield washer and radiator coolant is clean and full, check/balance tire pressures including the spare (and trailer spare) and set them for "heavy load". If you have an OEM tow package it would have come with a full-sized spare. Worth having one vs. the narrower "space saver spare" which wouldn't be good for towing. For slow leaks I have a small tire repair kit that includes plugs, the tools needed to ream the hole and insert the plug plus I carry a needle nosed pliers to remove nails. I bring a portable air tank with about 120 psi that will fill two full-sized tires or you can use a compact 12V compressor. Also a digital tire gauge so you can check pressure as you fill the tire. The tire doesn't need to be removed or the vehicle/trailer jacked-up since you plug them from the outside. I've successfully done dozens of these repairs, works great and can get you to the nearest tire shop for something more permanent if need be.
Check/replace intake air filter, visually check external coolant fins for bugs/debris and pressure wash if needed. It couldn't hurt to bring the proper oil, filter and even pre-diluted radiator coolant with you as not everybody carries what Land Rover recommends and if they do you will still have yours for on road emergencies or future use.
Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet set-up! Be sure the windshield washer and radiator coolant is clean and full, check/balance tire pressures including the spare (and trailer spare) and set them for "heavy load". If you have an OEM tow package it would have come with a full-sized spare. Worth having one vs. the narrower "space saver spare" which wouldn't be good for towing. For slow leaks I have a small tire repair kit that includes plugs, the tools needed to ream the hole and insert the plug plus I carry a needle nosed pliers to remove nails. I bring a portable air tank with about 120 psi that will fill two full-sized tires or you can use a compact 12V compressor. Also a digital tire gauge so you can check pressure as you fill the tire. The tire doesn't need to be removed or the vehicle/trailer jacked-up since you plug them from the outside. I've successfully done dozens of these repairs, works great and can get you to the nearest tire shop for something more permanent if need be.
Check/replace intake air filter, visually check external coolant fins for bugs/debris and pressure wash if needed. It couldn't hurt to bring the proper oil, filter and even pre-diluted radiator coolant with you as not everybody carries what Land Rover recommends and if they do you will still have yours for on road emergencies or future use.
Good luck and have a wonderful trip!
Great advice thank you!!! My vehicle has the tow package but I have a donut spare is that due to the vehicle coming with the optional 22's? Either way I'll grab a patch kit just in case.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
153 Posts
Remember, patches need to be applied from inside the tire whereas plugs can be inserted from the outside. Patches are generally believed to be more permanent but the plugs work really well for repairing on the road. Just be sure to insert them deep enough that the plug goes through the tire so it will stay in when you pull the insert tool out.
Could be the 22's (275/40/22) are too wide for the spare well cover to close flat, The compact spares often have a very low useful mileage life as well. If you decide to get a different spare you can check eBay and Craig's List for individual OEM wheels and typically any wheel 20" or above will clear the front calipers. Wheel diameter doesn't necessarily need to match your 22's as long as the overall diameter of the wheel and tire matches. Discount Tire shows new 275/40/22's to be about 30.7" in diameter. 255/55/20's are around 31" in diameter and the rear floor cover will close flat on a 255/55/20 tire.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Remember, patches need to be applied from inside the tire whereas plugs can be inserted from the outside. Patches are generally believed to be more permanent but the plugs work really well for repairing on the road. Just be sure to insert them deep enough that the plug goes through the tire so it will stay in when you pull the insert tool out.
Could be the 22's (275/40/22) are too wide for the spare well cover to close flat, The compact spares often have a very low useful mileage life as well. If you decide to get a different spare you can check eBay and Craig's List for individual OEM wheels and typically any wheel 20" or above will clear the front calipers. Wheel diameter doesn't necessarily need to match your 22's as long as the overall diameter of the wheel and tire matches. Discount Tire shows new 275/40/22's to be about 30.7" in diameter. 255/55/20's are around 31" in diameter and the rear floor cover will close flat on a 255/55/20 tire.
Solid advice here, solid advice! I wouldn't touch or replace the water pump unless it's leaking antifreeze/fluid... I certainly don't ever "flush" the coolant system on any vehicle either as it breaks up crud in the system's lines, radiator, in/on the thermostat and quickly sends it directly to the waterpump to cause nothing but problems. Every time anyone has stuck a water hose down their radiator cap to "flush" their coolant system they almost always needed a new waterpump within the somewhat near future. It must have happened to my step-dad 5 times before he realized not to do that as a Preventative Maintenance Measure, just add fluid if it's low, replace the thermostate if shes running too warm or too cool. Not saying you are/were going to do that Just_Dirty... just putting my experience out there for everyone.

I have 22" Stormer wheels wrapped in sized P265/40/22r Pirelli Scorpion's. But yeah, a 22" wheel won't fit inside that spare tire wheel well from my futile attempts in the past. Going out now to try and figure something out to get it in there as I don't like having the full sized rim and spare tied down to the tethers in the cargo hold atop the hinge door. I believe it's the air compressor that was in the way last attempt. Maybe I can relocate and remount it securely...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you not need or want mirror extensions? I have ordered a travel trailer and was thinking I should get extensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you not need or want mirror extensions? I have ordered a travel trailer and was thinking I should get extensions.

I need them but my trailer is considerably larger than my RR so I can't see whats on the side of the trailer with them.
Solid advice here, solid advice! I wouldn't touch or replace the water pump unless it's leaking antifreeze/fluid... I certainly don't ever "flush" the coolant system on any vehicle either as it breaks up crud in the system's lines, radiator, in/on the thermostat and quickly sends it directly to the waterpump to cause nothing but problems. Every time anyone has stuck a water hose down their radiator cap to "flush" their coolant system they almost always needed a new waterpump within the somewhat near future. It must have happened to my step-dad 5 times before he realized not to do that as a Preventative Maintenance Measure, just add fluid if it's low, replace the thermostate if shes running too warm or too cool. Not saying you are/were going to do that Just_Dirty... just putting my experience out there for everyone.

I have 22" Stormer wheels wrapped in sized P265/40/22r Pirelli Scorpion's. But yeah, a 22" wheel won't fit inside that spare tire wheel well from my futile attempts in the past. Going out now to try and figure something out to get it in there as I don't like having the full sized rim and spare tied down to the tethers in the cargo hold atop the hinge door. I believe it's the air compressor that was in the way last attempt. Maybe I can relocate and remount it securely...
So i just came back from a recent trip and the Range Rover's alternator gave out about 100 miles from my house. Luckily We had friends close by that lent me their truck so I was able to get my trailer home but man was that an inconvenience. This is the kind of thing that I fear when I travel cross country next month. I just don't want to get stranded in the middle of the country and have wait for parts to come in.

I'm changing the belt tensioner and both water pumps as I have to remove those to do the alternator. I might be changing the air shocks too as those are another item that could leave me stranded. The trip is making me a little nervous so i'm going a little crazy on the maintenance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

For my setup i NEED mirror extensions because my trailer is on the larger side. Without them I can't see any cars in adjacent lanes. They also help tremendously when backing up the trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts