Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a P38 owner of going on 5 years. Been leaking for 4 of the 5. :dance:

I have a 07' Volvo S60 R, which I like but I really prefer the P38 over it. All 175k miles of it. Well we've been tossing around the idea of getting a newer RR for awhile, and decided we'd start looking into them a little more.

So I drove a couple today. Both 04's. One with 49k and one with 72k.

Loved the ride. Loved it. Completely different than the solid axled P38. Smoother, and a more solid feeling. No creaks, noises, nothing. Loved it.
Interior and exterior looked overall well put together, and well thought out.

Drivetrain was smooth and felt more powerful than the P. The only complaint I had was that the lower mileage one had a noticeable squeak at all speeds, not brakes related. Dunno if that could be the front diff recall or a bad wheel bearing or? I'm pretty sure it didn't have the recall done, as it didn't show up in the carfax.

But...what's the deal with the black plastic everywhere that's starting to peel up? Is this normal? Both window switches had it, the steering wheel, the gray paint on the center console gear shifter trim.... a very noticeable amount on both cars. Also, the arm rest on the driver's side door had the 'crumple' deal going on in one of them. And the nice stainless steel on the seat...it's a sticker. WTF? $75k + and it's not real stainless? That was a little disappointing.

Anyway...we might end up getting into one before too long...but I'd prefer to find one that's not rotting away on the interior first. In the meantime I'll keep enjoying the 30k miles of warranty I have left on the Volvo.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
kmagnuss said:
But...what's the deal with the black plastic everywhere that's starting to peel up? Is this normal? Both window switches had it, the steering wheel, the gray paint on the center console gear shifter trim.... a very noticeable amount on both cars. Also, the arm rest on the driver's side door had the 'crumple' deal going on in one of them.
snicker...snicker...

snort, LMAO

Hey MAG... GO SEARCH! :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

I am goinna catch hell for that one....

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I searched you bung sniffer. I see why, and how to fix it...but a car as expensive as this (was) to have the interior melt away like that is very Kia-like. I'd expect more from a Land Rover, errrr....BMW....errr...Ford...errr...TATA or whatever owns it now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't blame the interior on Ford, they changed it in 07 by removing the grey painted plastic.

·
Registered
543 Posts
G'Day Kmag.

If you can hang onto your P38 Rangie till a replacement for current L322 Rover turns up in 2012 then stick with your Volvo dude !

I've driven several 02-03 FFRR models a while back and I prefer the less complicated layout compared to the updated versions.

Have you thought about a RRS instead ? Hope all is well on the new family member front and keep up the good forum responses.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 07 is a stretch for us. We're trying to stay under $30k.
As for the RRS...they just don't do it for me like the full size does.

The P38 isn't going anywhere. The plan is to keep it until it gets hit by a meteor.
It might be in our best interest to hold onto the Volvo until the warranty is out in 30k more miles...but we'll see. I've been known to get a wild hair and just buy a car for no reason. That dang 996 keeps calling my name. :pray:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Join the club Kmag.

That last of the air cooled '95 Bi-turbo model keeps ringing in my ear too ! Once in our lives we must own-drive a porsche/alfa ?

If you can find an original one owner 2002 model L322 with about 110,000 miles on the clock than this should be about US$23K !

I know what you mean about getting a decent truck that exceeds your expectations, rather than just meeting your expectations.
With kids, prams, coolers, diaper table, sun umbrellas, toys and all manner of essential baby gear - boot space becomes a need.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
KEEP LOOKING simple as that. I have had several older cars that have been immaculate inside with up to 65k on the clock. Absolutely no peeling or even marks on the interior trim or steering wheel. Lots of well looked after cars out there so don't by one that has not been treated well inside as the engine servicing has probably suffered too.

Just look at at least 7-8 and find the best interior plus service record. It a great car that you will love & cherish if its a good one.

I now have the 2007 TDV8 the interior of which I personally much prefer as its identical to the last 2009 models and very similar to the 2010 and I like to feel up-to-date plus it just looks so good in Parchment/Piano!

Good luck and just keep looking. :thumb:

·
Registered
405 Posts
You should be able to get a 07 for close to $30k. While more than your budget, the significant improvements in reliability should make it cheaper in the long run and the interior is nicer. My personal experience is the 07 and newer HSEs are quite reliable whereas the earlier models are a crap shoot. Some people have few problems and others have a ton of problems.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I agree with Gazellio, keep looking. If you are not in a rush, you will find one in great condition eventually. I spent over a year looking for "the one". I eventually found one that was totally spotless, low miles, and even exceeded my expectations because it was the "Westminster" edition which has the better seats, and the black interior, among other things. Had detailed records for every service, and was very well maintained. Only thing I don't like is the bigger wheels due to lack of tire options, but I can get another set of wheels without much trouble.

The ride is just amazing, there is nothing else like it (IMO). With other cars I've owned, some of them have a pretty good ride, but after a certain point no matter what I tried, the ride just wouldn't be the same as when it was new after a while... I have driven many RR during my quest and all of them had the same great ride whether brand new or 5+ years old (with a few exceptions that had EAS issues, etc).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The main thing that amazed me during my search was the number of people who will buy a $75k - $95k vehicle and then treat it like crap, smoke in it, dogs pissing in it, stains from who knows what all over the seats, dirt and grime packed into all sorts of places you would never even think could get dirty, etc. There were more than a few that I just ran the other way as soon as I looked inside/under the hood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought a used RR and recommend an 06. This is the best "used" year for value IMHO - Jag engine and newer fiber optics from the 05 and new ZF tranny. Very little standard maintenance required as compared to the 03/04/05.

I bought my 06 for just under 30k with 56k miles. It was a single owner off lease in mint condition. Recommend you give a call to the fine folks at bear valley vehicle sales in Atlanta - they specialize on used land-rover sales.

Ken the owner hand picks his vehicles. I bought mine with confidence over the internet using the pictures they provided and speaking with Harry. I flew to ATL, jumped on MARTA and they picked me up from the station. The vehicle was absolutely perfect when I inspected. Paperwork took 15 minutes and I was driving back home 1100 miles. Worth the trip and I saved 3-5k over what the dealers were selling them for at the time...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Patience is the key, I looked for over 7 months and probably upwards of about 12 trucks then all of a sudden you see the one and everything clicks. I agree about how the majority of the ones for sale that I looked at were in pretty bad shape as the interior goes. The interior also tells you alot about how the vehicle was treated, etc. The 04 I just picked-up has 37k on the clock and it was well taken care of. Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a heads up I have a 2004 HSE Black on Black loaded, trailor hitch etc. Even added Supercharged Taillights.
Has 70,000 miles but has warranty through Land Rover until October 2010 or 75,000 and can be extended! Recently had brakes and oil changes done. New tires also.

Message me for more info!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
wulfraat said:
I recently bought a used RR and recommend an 06. This is the best "used" year for value IMHO - Jag engine and newer fiber optics from the 05 and new ZF tranny. Very little standard maintenance required as compared to the 03/04/05.

I bought my 06 for just under 30k with 56k miles. It was a single owner off lease in mint condition. Recommend you give a call to the fine folks at bear valley vehicle sales in Atlanta - they specialize on used land-rover sales.

Ken the owner hand picks his vehicles. I bought mine with confidence over the internet using the pictures they provided and speaking with Harry. I flew to ATL, jumped on MARTA and they picked me up from the station. The vehicle was absolutely perfect when I inspected. Paperwork took 15 minutes and I was driving back home 1100 miles. Worth the trip and I saved 3-5k over what the dealers were selling them for at the time...
That place looks good, I'll keep them on my list for when the wife inevitably decides she likes my RR better than her Honda Minivan. I'm waiting for the day, because every time she drives it she raves about how great it is, etc, etc. Funny how that works. Before I got it she was very skeptical and constantly made fun of me for all my research, but her tune has been changing rapidly. When the time comes, I may not have the luxury of spending 12 months looking like I did for mine.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I either have to sell my Volvo first, or just trade it in if I want to get a new rig. :cry:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
361 Posts
Yea keep looking. I actually like the 03-05 front end so that was the year range I was in the market for. Other requirements were Chawton/Sand, clean Carfax AND no paintwork. One owner and under warranty were wishes. Found a 04 with 44k on the clock in PHX for $25k. By the time I got around to calling it was sold. Found another in Chicago at a Bentley dealership, Odometer was rolled back.....TWICE. Finally I found my car at 12:05 in the morning on Craigslist in PHX. I was searching all CL cities within 500 miles of L.A. $29k, 28,300 miles, one owner, no paint work. Not a nick, stain, scratch or sign of wear anywhere. They are out there, but you just have to be ready to jump when one pops up.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
lear60man said:
Odometer was rolled back.....TWICE...
Don't be discouraged if you see conflicting odometer readings in a carFax report. I've seen a couple & have heard from others (maybe even in this Forum) that Carfax is known to make mistakes in odometer readings. It's been a couple of years since I've looked at any myself. But unless Carfax has improved this, keep this in mind.
Some of our Forum brethren that deal in used cars may have better insigght into this than I do, so I may stand corrected.
Any input from you dealer guys? I'm not too proud, if someone else can correct me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts