RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just acquired a CVC pre production P38 which is in need of some TLC and will no doubt be pestering the forums for guidance on the various dramas as they unfold.
I have undertaken an "A" suffix restoration but think the P38 might be slightly more complicated!

Best wishes, David

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
The preproduction P38s and 94/95s are as base model as you can get. There are many options that were not available yet. The only thing that would be more complicated are what ever after market kits were installed for press use. So what has been added to make it a press car? Lights, radio phone, ladder and roof rack for filming? Much like police spec P38s you may have additional power supply feeds and an aux fuse/relay box for accesories, radio equipment and additional lighting.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you RRToadHall,
the fewer options the better as far as I'm concerned. The EAS has been disconnected and partially played with so that will be the first port of call.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Pre-production if referring to the test mules were indeed base spec but very few of those were ever road registered, they were used purely for testing. The CVC cars (known as CVC because the registration numbers all ended with CVC, see http://www.cvcregister.co.uk/range-rover/38a/) were the ones that were supplied to the press for road test before the official launch and were different spec depending on the engine size so there was a representative of each model.

Police spec were whatever the police ordered, so some were just standard off the line cars whereas others were to a custom spec with the options that the individual police force wanted. My ex-police car has the cloth, manual seats from a base model, but climate control, headlamp wash/wipe and front fogs that would not normally be fitted to a UK base spec car. The additional electrical bits were fitted by Home Office DTels after they had taken delivery

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Hi David
Good luck with the restoration. If your are in Dorking, Surrey, I am not far from you in Storrington, West Sussex. I have a 1995 4.6 HSE which I had had for a year or so. I am slowly returning it to its former glory after a few years of neglect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts