RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can we do in terms of the electronics and air suspension?

I was thinking of using some electrical clean on some of the nav components that freeze up in the winter, going to use some Vaseline on all the door seals, window seals, grease up the latches... Anything we can do for the air suspension? Air dryer a tough replacement? Not too familiar with the valve block, but is that easily removed and greased up?

tia

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I've said it before, the best thing you can do for the electrics and EAS is ensure that you leave your A/C on all the time so that it de-humidifies the air in the cabin. This will ensure terminals, micro-switches and multiplugs don't fur up.

As far as your door seals go you should be using Silicone spray rather than Vaseline as Vaseline is petrol based and over time will dissolve the door seals. Pay particular to the felt strip at the top of the door.

Depending on how cold it gets and how much snow you get it may be worth considering some of the "Winter Wipers" these are very substantial, and don't look great, but they are good at shifting snow. My summer wipers have a habit of freezing up at the joints.

Make sure you have a stronger mix of screen wash than you use in summer and that the product you're using does contain an anti-freeze agent. One I picked up last year had none in and although sprayed fine due to the heated washer jets it froze on impact!

A coolant change before winter is a good idea if you've had to top up with water and diluted the mix. Along with other jobs such as brakes etc which are horrible to do when the metal is ice cold.

If you've reached 75,000 miles, you might consider it prudent to do an oil change twice a year. One slightly thinner winter oil and a thicker oil for summer. Big V8's often suffer from internal condensation problems if you do lots of small trips.

Dan

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan_UK_1984 said:
I've said it before, the best thing you can do for the electrics and EAS is ensure that you leave your A/C on all the time so that it de-humidifies the air in the cabin. This will ensure terminals, micro-switches and multiplugs don't fur up.

As far as your door seals go you should be using Silicone spray rather than Vaseline as Vaseline is petrol based and over time will dissolve the door seals. Pay particular to the felt strip at the top of the door.

Depending on how cold it gets and how much snow you get it may be worth considering some of the "Winter Wipers" these are very substantial, and don't look great, but they are good at shifting snow. My summer wipers have a habit of freezing up at the joints.

Make sure you have a stronger mix of screen wash than you use in summer and that the product you're using does contain an anti-freeze agent. One I picked up last year had none in and although sprayed fine due to the heated washer jets it froze on impact!

A coolant change before winter is a good idea if you've had to top up with water and diluted the mix. Along with other jobs such as brakes etc which are horrible to do when the metal is ice cold.

If you've reached 75,000 miles, you might consider it prudent to do an oil change twice a year. One slightly thinner winter oil and a thicker oil for summer. Big V8's often suffer from internal condensation problems if you do lots of small trips.

Dan
Hey dan, how goes it? Good point on the seals, I'll switch to silicone! Everything else you mentioned is already on par `)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might add that a lot of silicon sprays still contain solvents which will harm rubber. Griots garage rubber dressing is one of the few I've found which specifically says it doesn't contain solvents.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
linuxfreakus said:
I might add that a lot of silicon sprays still contain solvents which will harm rubber. Griots garage rubber dressing is one of the few I've found which specifically says it doesn't contain solvents.
cool good info

anyone ever replace their air dryer?

Where is that? Can you even buy a replacement?

seems like something that should be examined every winter.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes, and yes. Very easy service.

Microcat has it as part# VUB504700

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-ROV ... 0469524227

I didn't really search very far, you may be able to find it cheaper. Most EAS stuff really isn't as complicated as people think... I'm not sure why it has the reputation of being so impossible to maintain. The struts cost a lot yes... but eh... I dunno. ECU is expensive I guess, but how often do those really die?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
linuxfreakus said:

I didn't really search very far, you may be able to find it cheaper. Most EAS stuff really isn't as complicated as people think... I'm not sure why it has the reputation of being so impossible to maintain. The struts cost a lot yes... but eh... I dunno. ECU is expensive I guess, but how often do those really die?
I've done a lot of work with the air suspension, I just didn't know where the air dryer is, my rave computer is down so I was curious. Is it in the back? I ask because I think p38's had them up front or someplace weird... Maybe I'm off, just curious.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
brad s1 said:
linuxfreakus said:

I've done a lot of work with the air suspension, I just didn't know where the air dryer is, my rave computer is down so I was curious. Is it in the back? I ask because I think p38's had them up front or someplace weird... Maybe I'm off, just curious.
It is in the rear under the compressor housing.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
linuxfreakus said:
brad s1 said:
linuxfreakus said:

It is in the rear under the compressor housing.
haha, that explains why I don't see it :lol:

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts