RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I imagine most people are putting in Premium into their vehicles, however, premium is good for performance but not as great for mileage.

The manual obviously recommends premium, but seems to indicated that putting in lower fuel, despite the knock sensor, could result in engine knocking and other problems.

Just curious if anyone’s experimented with less than premium and what the results have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my wife her first very well equipped LR. A 2015.5 RRS HSE. I’m still trying to figure out all the systems and tweak some things, but I digress.

I’m trying to find out actual results / experi MEX of folks with different gas. While higher octane burns more cleanly and produces better performance, it also produces less gas mileage.

The manual states and is a bit ambiguous that 93 is recommended for best performance, but also states that prolonged exposure to say 87 (regular) may cause considerable engine knock. But doesn’t say it’s strictly not recommended either.

I figure most people aren’t screwing around with the idea and are just going with 93, but I’d like to know who’s been using less than that and what (if any) difference in experience or maintenance has been.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I never really tried to put less than 92 or 91 in.

In my area if I really need fuel and stations runs out of one grade it usually means that 87 is out (and obviously 89 also) and can only get premium at that point anyway. Depending on the store of course.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I’ve actually had good luck with e30. It has been running on it for the past 6 months or so. I think only the v8 engines are flex fuel certified.

I tried e90 and saw a huge decrease in gas mileage. E30 is about $1 less than premium here and still seems to deliver similar efficiency. Only a handful of stations offer e30 though.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I’ve actually had good luck with e30. It has been running on it for the past 6 months or so. I think only the v8 engines are flex fuel certified.

I tried e90 and saw a huge decrease in gas mileage. E30 is about $1 less than premium here and still seems to deliver similar efficiency. Only a handful of stations offer e30 though.
Yeah it will do that. Nice that the ethanol is that much less in cost. Many years ago when I had a e85 certified truck if e85 wasn't at least $.60 less a gallon than 87 I wasn't even thinking of buying it. It technically cost more per mile at that point.

I haven't been paying attention to the prices much but in the past but the pricing was almost the same. Crazy to even both with it.

I wouldn't mind trying efree but it is a much higher cost than regular e10. I forget what our standard blend is right now.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You've got a supercharged motor running some pretty high compression. Why risk low octane to save a dollar. Where did you get the info that lower octane gives you better mileage?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Where did you get the info that lower octane gives you better mileage?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I only knew that the higher the ethanol blend the lower the mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been experimenting with my 2007 RR HSE. My RR has 100K on the clock. I get better mileage with 87. I got 26mpg on a trip down to Maryland a few months ago running 87 octane. This was a 500 mile drive. I did the exact same trip with 91 octane and saw 23mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For my RR Sport (2018), my dealer told me that 89 Octane is good enough. I have been using 89 and have not noticed anything unusual with the engine performance - however it's been just a month. What I don't know though is what kind of mileage I will get with 93. I will have to check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I had my '03 full size RR i had shipped it down to the Caribbean where the fuel was very low grade. My engine light went on within the first month. I found out that "premium" wasn't really premium down there. So I switched to the low grade 87 and topped it with a octane booster each tank. The engine light went out after about 1 1/2 tanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 06, I tried low grade gas and the miles per gallon was worse, the performance was horrible. Never again these babies need to purr.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Engines with Superchargers or Turbos are high compression. With lower Octane you will get premature combustion of the air-fuel mixture. I would get premium gasoline.

Here in Ontario I use Shell V-Power. This is the only type of gasoline in Ontario that has zero alcohol. I do not like alcohol in my gasoline. It attracts moisture.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think Esso usually has 0 ethanol in their premium too?
I could be wrong?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Story as old as time. "Premium" is an antiquated term and holds no merit in today's market. "Premium was used to describe the higher octane fuel because that was the only way you could get the cleaning and antiknock additives. It rather like asking the pump jockey if he pumped "Ethyl" back when Ethyl was the equivalent of Techron now.

There are two classes of gasoline. Top Tier which has to meet minimum requirements of additives regardless of octane rating. All major brand chains are Top Tier certified inclusive of grocer chains like Costco and all of the Kroger family chains. That means you can go to Chevron or Safeway and receive the same high quality of gas. One off stations, discount locations, reservations and far distant locations are usually not Top Tier certified and get their fuel from the same local refineries, it just doesn't have the cleaner and minimum additives to be certified.

So what octane to burn depends on what type of engine you have, it's compression ratio and if you have anti knock timing adjustment in your ECU mapping. Most NA engines have anti knock timing adjustment so they can be used in a wide variety of markets and regions. Performance may be slightly lowered but no damage will occur with lesser quality or lower octane fuel. High performance/high compression engines need the added octane to meet their HP ratings. However, it is required by the EPA that all production vehicles run at a minimum efficiency on easily obtainable lower octane fuels without detriment to the engine. So yes you can burn regular or mid grade in your SC or high compression engine without fear of damage. Your butt dyno may notice a slight difference though. "Premium" is just a suggestion in an owners manual and usually is part of a longer sentence that begins or ends with "for best performance" or some such thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2006 Supercharged Range River with over 325,000 miles on it. I have only burned 4-5 tanks of 93 octane fuel in 12 years. I have never had one issue with the engine in that time except cleaning the throttle body twice. I also drive it very hard on interstate highways averaging 75-85 most of the time. Don’t worry about the Lowe grade fuel because it won’t hurt it. My son now drives that vehicle and I am doing the same with my 2014 autobiography. I haves saved thousands of dollars over that time frame in fuel costs. Give it a try and you won’t be sorry.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I’ve run the occasional tank of mid grade - with no noticeable difference .... but normally run premium - it is only 20c more in California. My buddy ran his bmw over 250k Miles with regular and never had any issues. But if you are trying to save money on gas - why buy a range rover in the first place ....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here in NJ most stations only have 87, 89, and 93 octane gas. There are a few Sunoco stations with 91 but not near me, and they tend to run rather more expensive than other name-brand top-tiered fuel (I can find 93 octane for the same price as Sunoco 91).

Since I bought the vehicle I got in the habit of getting gas at the half-tank level and always alternate filling-up with 89 and 93. Theoretically, my tank contains a 1:1 mix of 89 and 93 resulting in a 91 mix. My performance has been good and I've seen no adverse effects over 52K miles.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a 2006 Supercharged Range River with over 325,000 miles on it. I have only burned 4-5 tanks of 93 octane fuel in 12 years. I have never had one issue with the engine in that time except cleaning the throttle body twice. I also drive it very hard on interstate highways averaging 75-85 most of the time. Don’t worry about the Lowe grade fuel because it won’t hurt it. My son now drives that vehicle and I am doing the same with my 2014 autobiography. I haves saved thousands of dollars over that time frame in fuel costs. Give it a try and you won’t be sorry.
Just a note, a 2006 supercharged has a 9.1 compression ratio. The current model has a 9.5 compression ratio and puts out a lot more hp. What was ok in the past may not work well with today's motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use mid grade 89 octane and have for the last 6 months. I have a 2009 RRSport normally aspirated. I have noticed no change in performance or fuel efficiency. There has been no knocking/detonation. That’s what the computer is for. It adjusts the timing to stop that. I haven’t tried 87 octane. I suspect that may effect efficiency.

I use 91 or higher (nothing higher for sale I can find in AZ) if I plan on heavy use like towing or serious off roading. Yes a RR Sport is pretty bad ass off roading if you actually try it!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts