RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do a little research on what paint to get for my rear end repair work. I do a bit of automotive painting myself and was going to go with PPG Chromacast but thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has any input first. My color is Giverny Green going on an '06 HSE.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
When I would dabble a little in auto building 35 years ago, PPG is exactly what I used. I was satisfied.
I have a friend who owns and operates a custom paint and body shop. If I run into him I will ask his opinion. But that could be a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Nason is what everyone tells me is the best.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
Nason is entry level Dupont paint, probably equal to OEM finishes, but way below Chromabase, which in turn is below the ChromaPremier line of paint. If I'm painting a Toyota or Kia I would have no issue (and have done it) with using Nason paint. It lays out well, is at least as shiny as the OEM finish and seems to last as long as the OEM finish. When I painten parts for my 2000's cadillacs, I used chromabase paints (mainly because the cars were tri-coats) and that paint worked fine and matched well. Haven't really found a need to go up to the Chromapremier lines for anything I own, or would attempt to paint myself. My older cars 69 Camaro, 76 Corvette are done in lacquer so I use dupont lacquer or Restoration shop lacquers (which is a TCP global line), but getting lacquers is becoming an issue with all the VOCs in them. Lacquers are way more forgiving to the actual brand of paint than basecoat/clearcoat urethanes since you can wet sand those down before clearing (as long as they are non metallics) way easier than the urethanes. Of course the urethanes will last longer and are more flexible (lacquers crack over time and exposure to UV rays). Matching colors is where you need to get the paint shops involved. If your doing panel repair take the vehicle (or a peice of it down and get it scanned for its true color (today) as the colors fade over time, and have the shop adjust the stock color to that fade. If you're painting a whole tailgate where there is a fair size body gap, you ma be able to get away with just using a stock mix. Unless you're really good at blending don't extend your new paint across the natural gaps in the bodywork. The eye probably won't be able to tell the slight difference in color (or metallic content) across the gap (like between the lower tailgate and the quarters, of the tailgate and the bumper), but unless you blend it well they will pickup the area that was blended on the neighboring panels, unless the blend is done over a large area.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your guys' input.

Mark you have been doing this longer than me it sounds like. Thanks for the piece of mind. You're spot on about Nason coverage wise decent and it does lay down. TCP Lacquers I've used as well.. was becoming a bear to get when I lived in CA a few years ago. Glad to not have to use lacquers anymore anyway.

I went into my local ppg shop and they tried matching with their gun but it only references their stock formulas unfortunately. I think most likely I'll use the stock code with PPG chromabase (not chromacast). Fortunately for me the side 1/4's aren't damaged so I'm going to replace the bumper and tailgate with used parts in the same color (hopefully not from any southern states). i'll do a slight fade on the upper hatch where the lettering is and see how it looks. If need be I'll just shoot the whole surround not much paint luckily.

thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My first lacquer job was on my 69 pace car camaro in '82. I dip my hand in here and there, and can get by painting but I don't do it often enough to get really good at blending and color matching paint, so I stick with painting entire panels. My one attempt at blending was on my white camaro passenger side door, and i can still see the area where it was blended onto the rear quarter, as the new paint is just slightly darker than the older paint. I listened to someone else about blending being less noticable, but I had a 3/16" door gap with a piece of chrome edge guard trim on it, and i'm sure the paint difference would not have been noticable across that gap. I've got both high pressure HVLP guns (none real expensive) and a 4 stage turbine setup with a real HVLP gun. That one is the best, but I don't get a chance to use it, up to now it hasn't done much more than primer jobs, but I have a color change job coming up on the Corvette from white to a firemist red with a white Motion phase III stripe. if and when I get my old Ski Nautique (actually its a Barefoot Nautique) put back together. To many projects not enough time.

MVC-199F.JPG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow what an honor! Pretty cool ride.

Make no mistake I'm no pro at blending but figured it'd be worth a shot. My luck I'll shoot the clear and it will reveal itself ha.. We'll see.

Good luck with the vette sounds like a fun project! I mainly paint fishing lures so this is a nice relief from the tedious nature of airbrushing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So I assume you bought the truck back after the accident. How did the underbody/frame inspection turn out? Did the hitch take all the force and basically keep the back end of the body more or less straight?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I assume you bought the truck back after the accident. How did the underbody/frame inspection turn out? Did the hitch take all the force and basically keep the back end of the body more or less straight?
Sorry didn't check the email notifications Mark.

The inspection went great and the tow hitch I think maybe saved the frame. They said it wasn't tweaked at all. I will have to get a new hitch though as it's bent maybe a 1/4-1/2". I had them pull on some clunk in the front end as well and it was control arm and ball joint bushings starting to go. Went ahead and ordered some and will install them after I get through physical therapy.

A bit bummed.. found a nice tailgate in my color on ebay, bought it, and the guy didn't send it. Luckily my claim was paid. The hunt continues.

Thanks for checkin' in enjoy your paint work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts