RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Range Rover I am interested in is a Supercharged 2007 with 67k miles.

I had the seller drop off the truck to the local Land Rover dealer and they just called me with the results... (I am paying for this pre-sale inspection BTW!!!)

• The Tilt Motor for the Steering Wheel is not working
  • The Parking Distance Control doesn't work
  • The Windshield has a crack
  • The TPMS units are not working, either missing or dead

Aside from the TPMS units - as these are an easy fix,

Can anyone give me some ideas about cost of repairs for the other issues as well as if this is cause for concern??

I don't own the truck yet and I spoke to the seller and he said he will look into fixing these issues. Should I just renegotiate the sale price and fix myself?

Thank you for any help and/or input!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just how detailed was the inspection ?

Was the wheel moving in and out but not tilting ?
Was the motor disabled ?

Front and rear sensors not working ?
Or just front ?

Windscreen crack self explanatory , but don't forget the genuine screen is heated and need a "fitting kit" of all new parts .

Tpms sensors are easily spotted compared to a normal valve stem .
Then you have parts in each wheel well , near the sunroof switch , and a wiring loom .
Could be expensive , could be as simple as pumping the spare tire up .
You either factor for the worst , or ask for more details .

It seems the dealer hasn't been very helpful, but has done the minimum of what was requested .

If the price was right I'd take buy it , but only you know the full report and exactly what was looked at ....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ours got hit in the rear just after buying and while rear bumper was repaired they took an hour or 2 to find the issue thinking it was because of the repair they were doing which was replacing the rear bumper cover. They got them working-they said it was a rusted wire iirc. I think each sensor was 50 to 70 and all of ours were ok but the first attempt by the body shop to refit them and spray paint them in place was dismal. So if the sensor has to come out it may chip a bit of paint. There is a post on here about checking and changing out the sensors. Do they give a list of what was checked and what was good or excellent. Only mention because the leap from good to excellent ccan be expensive as i find out every day on our older unit. But we love her so what can one really say

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your replies. Ok so it seems as though there is no cracked windshield... Don't know what the service manager was talking about.

I spoke to the seller and they said they are going to fix the steering wheel issue, the parking sensor issue and the TPMS issue.

Assuming these are fixed, (fingers crossed) I think this is a great buy!

I have a question for you guys, is 67k miles something to be concerned with? To me it seems rather high and I think I would feel very uneasy driving for a few hours during a hot summer day. Any thoughts?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Geez, our 2003 has just under 150k on it. Drive it.

Martin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rovers like to be driven hard and often... The don't like to sit.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Tpms units missing or dead ???

It's pretty obvious if they're missing .......
or they're dead

The Range Rover I am interested in is a Supercharged 2007 with 67k miles.

I had the seller drop off the truck to the local Land Rover dealer and they just called me with the results... (I am paying for this pre-sale inspection BTW!!!)

• The Tilt Motor for the Steering Wheel is not working
  • The Parking Distance Control doesn't work
  • The Windshield has a crack
  • The TPMS units are not working, either missing or dead

Aside from the TPMS units - as these are an easy fix,

Can anyone give me some ideas about cost of repairs for the other issues as well as if this is cause for concern??

I don't own the truck yet and I spoke to the seller and he said he will look into fixing these issues. Should I just renegotiate the sale price and fix myself?

Thank you for any help and/or input!
1.) Need to know more about the tilt motor, but if they can fix it for something reasonable/ feel it's a quick fix no big deal. Sometimes dealers like to throw entire new parts and a steering column isn't cheap.
2.) the parking distance control could be out because the module is broken, or any number of the 8 sensors... the module itself which is a couple of hundred buck in the right side kick panel, or any one (or more) of the sensors in the bumpers which are $120ish each. You can test the system by pretty easy... It it doesn't come on at all beep/nothing the module is gone... if it beeps and flashes, the module probably works. If you press the button so it's on when fouled it will do a long beep, at which point if you exit the car and put your ear up to the sensors, you should hear a clicking noise which indicates a working sensor... If one isn't clicking that's your issue, if they're all not clicking they're either all somehow dead, or the module is bad.
3.)the windscreen is expensive... off the top of my head 1500 and I'd personally have the dealer do that install, so figure $2000ish. IDK how insurance works but I get free glass... If the car passes inspection I'd deal with the crack until it gets to the point it's horrible and get insurance to cover it, if the car doesn't pass inspection you'll need to buy a windscreen... you can buy MUCH cheaper replacements without the heating element, but IMO it's worth getting a OEM replacement
4.) as previously mentioned the batteries in the tires are probably dead... Your dealer should be able to plug a scan tool into the car to determine if it's the system thats broken/not communication or it just isn't seeing the pressure monitors. if your valve stems are plastic they're missing, if they're aluminum they're either really nice valve stems or sensors.

I typed this on my phone so sorry if it's illegible :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pfft...67k miles is high? Yah maybe 20 years ago in a Chevy Corsica. I just turned 103k and it runs like a dream. People need to get this mileage stigma thing out of their head. If its been treated well then there's no issue. The Jag drive train is proven reliable.

Since you've had a PPI done, you're on the right track. A 1 minute visual look at the car will let you know if its been ridden hard and put away wet. In that case I'd much rather go after the cream puff with >100k miles on it. Before mine, I turned down a "mint" 07 with 72k on it only to find it had scrapes on the door, broken hinge on the rear fold down armrest, cigarette light door was broken, volume knob on the radio didn't work, etc. I knew right then and there that it was a no go.

Added bonus of higher mileage is an even cheaper price. There ARE good used cars out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts