RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently planning on getting out of my current ride (XC 90 2.5T) and would like any input on RRS issues to be aware of. I had a 4.0 HSE RR prior to the XC so I have some baseline understanding. I had major issues with the RR HSE which prompted me to go to the XC 90. I've learned that each car is idiosyncratic and has things you need to be aware of. For example, the XC has transmission issues in it's T6 (turbo six cyl) AWD confirguration and all models have PCV clogging issues sooner or later depending on which motor oil you use. Also, being that volvo uses interference engines, the timing belt is super-critical and requires replacement along with pulley, tensioner, water pump, etc. WELL before the recommended interval.

For the 09-011 RRS, what are the issues that need be addressed ? I DIY most of the maintenance, except for brakes myself (plugs/tune up, engine and trans oil changes, o2 sensors, filters (engine oil air and cabin). Is this common with RRS or not and are there documented procedures for regular maintenance items.

Most importantly, what's reliability like ? i.e. does the 'warning light' come on more or less frequently and how likely do bit's an pieces fail ?

TIA

·
Registered
36 Posts
i might know the least on these boards but i do know that a 2009 is very different from a 2010 and on RRS so you might want to tighten the range to exclude 2009 if that is your intent. others will chime in but in 2010, the RRS got a major overhaul including new interior, engine, transmission, A/V, and othe systems. 2010 - has the Ford 5.0l v8 and 6spd ZF trans whereas prior to 2010 you got a BMW engine and 5sp ZF trans. not saying one is better than the other, just know that when comparing options and prices.

good luck! i am a new owner and still enjoying the honeymoon period.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
i might know the least on these boards but i do know that a 2009 is very different from a 2010 and on RRS so you might want to tighten the range to exclude 2009 if that is your intent. others will chime in but in 2010, the RRS got a major overhaul including new interior, engine, transmission, A/V, and othe systems. 2010 - has the Ford 5.0l v 8 and 6spd ZF trans whereas prior to 2010 you got a BMW engine and 5sp ZF trans. not saying one is better than the other, just know that when comparing options and prices.

good luck! i am a new owner and still enjoying the honeymoon period.
Some incorrect information here. For the '06-'09 models, look at rangerovers.net and the model year specifications link on the left side. The 2010+ models received new interior, engine (5.0 direct injected v8 ), 6 spd ZF trans, and A/V stuff. Engine is entirely developed by Jag/LR. The '06-'09 also used a Jag/LR engine (4.4. N/A or 4.2 supercharged V8's) with a ZF 6 speed trans.

If you can, spring for the 2010+ models.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Most importantly, what's reliability like ? i.e. does the 'warning light' come on more or less frequently and how likely do bit's an pieces fail ?

TIA
Welcome. Please have a look in the "Read Me First" sticky, there's lots of good info in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some incorrect information here....Engine is entirely developed by Jag/LR. The '06-'09 also used a Jag/LR engine (4.4. N/A or 4.2 supercharged V8's) with a ZF 6 speed trans.
i stand corrected. salesman mentioned BMW for the 4.4 which made sense due to them using a 4.4 in the X5 and then a 5.0 liter being used by Ford as well as my own observation of FoMoCo hoses and accessories led my assumptions. So is the Jag engine assembled here or in UK? good to see ford letting them play in there own corner other than trying to homogenize the drivetrain to their offerings (not that i have a problem with ford but how much Ford can you put into a LR before its not an LR?).

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
good to see ford letting them play in there own corner other than trying to homogenize the drivetrain to their offerings (not that i have a problem with ford but how much Ford can you put into a LR before its not an LR?).
Fyi Ford no longer owns JLR.

How much Ford is in a Ford? None of the major mfgrs make many of their own parts today and vertical integration is gone. Entire drivetrains are sourced from OEM's etc, i.e, the same ZF trans that is used in the RRS is used in many other vehicles. Car companies are styling houses plucking things from a global parts bin and assembling them and putting hood emblems on the finished product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. Please have a look in the "Read Me First" sticky, there's lots of good info in there.
I've started looking at it. I'll read through and see if I can get a feel for how much maint is required to keep a dependable ride. I've learned to avoid the Volvo 'Stealerships' and go indy shop or DIY. I'd prefer a ride that doesn't require excessive maintenance. Hence the question about how often things alert, beep, or break.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
I've started looking at it. I'll read through and see if I can get a feel for how much maint is required to keep a dependable ride. I've learned to avoid the Volvo 'Stealerships' and go indy shop or DIY. I'd prefer a ride that doesn't require excessive maintenance. Hence the question about how often things alert, beep, or break.
Maintenance is a constant companion with a Land Rover...if you're looking for no maintenance, LR isn't for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice. I'm looking at a common sense approach. I know there will be maintenance from my experience with the RR HSE I owned and from my reliability research on the RRS. My desire is a ride that I can depend on which will require maintenance as with any car and a little bit more with a LR. I'm just trying to estimate how much maint. If it's a 'all the time' proposition, you may be right. But if it's periodic, I can live with that since that's what I have now with my XC90. There's periods where the check engine light comes on periodically, I fix it then a plastic piece fails and I fix it, then it's time for oil change, then o2 sensor goes out, etc.. I can deal with stuff that wears out and scheduled maintenance. It's the constant failure of things/poor quality that I'm trying to avoid.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Good advice. I'm looking at a common sense approach. I know there will be maintenance from my experience with the RR HSE I owned and from my reliability research on the RRS. My desire is a ride that I can depend on which will require maintenance as with any car and a little bit more with a LR. I'm just trying to estimate how much maint. If it's a 'all the time' proposition, you may be right. But if it's periodic, I can live with that since that's what I have now with my XC90. There's periods where the check engine light comes on periodically, I fix it then a plastic piece fails and I fix it, then it's time for oil change, then o2 sensor goes out, etc.. I can deal with stuff that wears out and scheduled maintenance. It's the constant failure of things/poor quality that I'm trying to avoid.
That's very well put...in that case, you'll really enjoy the RRS..nothing drives like it...fantastic vehicle, and fun to drive all the time! Welcome!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Maintenance is a constant companion with a Land Rover...if you're looking for no maintenance, LR isn't for you.
Not I'm my situation! I've had more problem in the past with Japanese, and German cars that my 08 landy. Cost of service is right up there with the German copies, but that's to be expected do to there complexity..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts