RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a reputable company to do a pre-purchase inspection on a 2013 RRS? I am in NYC and looking at a vehicle located in Laguna Niguel, CA 92677. Unfortunately, its being sold by a non-LR dealership, so I need to be extra cautious. Carfax looks good and the dealership swears the car is perfect (shocker!).

I read some horror stories about some PPI web sites (meaning they send out incompetent people who do a pathetic excuse of a job) and I don't want to be a victim of one of those web sites.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
Does AAA do inspections? Honestly though, any sort of remote PPI is going to be incomplete...but then you have to ask yourself whether you would do a better job of inspecting it yourself? Maybe ask them to take it to LR and do an inspection and pay for a complete one.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
When it comes to LR, buy local and buy with a Certified Pre-Owned Factory Warranty. There are many reasons why, just do a search. Actually, let me rephrase.. Buy from a dealership and buy only if you can:

touch it
see it
feel it
drive it
taste it
smell it

And make sure you get that CPO!! It is worth it's weight in gold.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
why not fly out and look at it. For the cost of most of those vehicle inspectors you can hop a standby flight or last minute Priceline and go test drive it yourself.

You can also have them take it to the local LR dealer for an inspection you could pay them directly and have service manager give you his results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to buy local (and have been trying to), but I have been looking for a few months and was unable to find the exact car I want (colors, options, etc.) on the East Coast. I want Orkney Gray or Indus Silver and it seems like 95 out of 100 cars I see are either black or white.

Now is the time when a fair number of 2013 RRS S/Cs are coming off new car leases, but 2013 was a short model year, so there is not a whole lot of them. In the next half a year they will all be sold and I will be left with nothing. I actually spoke to the local LR dealership and they told me they can sell me a Land Rover extended warranty that has the exact same coverage as LR CPO (6yrs/100K miles) for around $3,800, as long as the car is currently still under new car warranty. I gave them the VIN of the car and they checked records and confirmed that it's eligible.

I agree with you that there is nothing like putting hands on what you are buying, but the car has 20 months of factory warranty left and I hope that 20 months is more than enough time to weed out all the gremlins.

When it comes to LR, buy local and buy with a Certified Pre-Owned Factory Warranty. There are many reasons why, just do a search. Actually, let me rephrase.. Buy from a dealership and buy only if you can:

touch it
see it
feel it
drive it
taste it
smell it

And make sure you get that CPO!! It is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the cost of these inspections averages around $150 and I highly doubt this will cover the cost of a round trip from NY to CA and back, plus all the other crap - transportation to/from airport, meals, etc.

Incidentally, there is an LR dealership right across the highway from the dealership where the car is (they may even be owned by the same conglomerate), so I am going to try to have the car inspected there.

why not fly out and look at it. For the cost of most of those vehicle inspectors you can hop a standby flight or last minute Priceline and go test drive it yourself.

You can also have them take it to the local LR dealer for an inspection you could pay them directly and have service manager give you his results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an FYI, I went with Auto Doc's Inspections. I think they are local to So Cal, which was a bonus for me because I did not want to deal with a huge nationwide chain. The cost of the inspection was $185. The inspector was on time to the appointment. We communicated via email and phone. I got the report next day and it was very comprehensive. In addition to standard stuff like test drive, visual inspection, etc. they also analyzed engine coolant and brake fluid, determined that front and rear bumpers were repainted and found some little scratches on wheels. They also took detailed photos of the undercarriage and made sure there are leaks from the engine, transmission and the differentials. I think this was money well spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts