RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been on this forum before, but apparently can't remember my old password or the email it was associated with.

Anyway, I'm looking to purchase an L322. By some profound miracle, my last L322 which I purchased in 2008 with 86k miles was nearly flawless except for a busted steering wheel motor and a cracked washer tank through about 100k when I got rid of it due to constant prodding from friends that it was going to grenade at any moment.

I've wanted another one ever since, and I found one with 119k recently for 11k at a LR dealer.

My question is this. I also have had E38 BMWs, and over there the timing chain/tensioner issue is nearly an every other thread type of discussion. I searched here, and found that it doesn't seem to be nearly as concerning for the L322 owners with a similar motor. Perhaps this is because the L322 has only been around since 2003 in the U.S. and 2002 globally, but even 2001 E38 owners seem to have it on their minds. Is this problem overblown? Or if I buy one of these with 119k do I need to rush out and do it as soon as I pick up the vehicle?

I think I am familiar with everything else... Prop shaft, air suspension (let me tell you, this isn't nearly as worrisome as the hydraulic fluid system in my LX470), steering motor, tank cracks, cooling system, oil leaks... Right?

·
Registered
560 Posts
For a few thousand more you can get an equal 2006 model ($15-$17K). I would stay away from the BMW versions as they have been more problematic. But to answer your question normally if it has a timing chain there is little to no maintenance involved.

·
Registered
510 Posts
the timing chain tensioner is dirt cheap ($80 or so) and takes about 10minutes to replace. the major issues are with the VANOS or using the wrong oil for your climate. I have 97K miles, used AMSOIL 5/40 very minor, 1-2 second startup rattle. Switched to 0/40 and 5/30 rattle got much worse. Went back to 5/40 and again only 1-2 second startup rattle and most of the time does not even do it at all. So....if you are worried about the 1-3 second startup rattle, I would not be concerned. Yes the BMW trucks have "sensitive" cooling systems, but you can replace the radiator and every coolant/heater in under two hours.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally like the BMW based trucks, because I like BMWs in general. I don't know anything about Jaguars because it's the one brand of car I haven't owned yet outside of a brief stint with a 2002 X Type. Plus, silly as it may be, there IS that infamous 2008 "lemon" video out there I'm sure we're all familiar with (that can happen with any car, period). As for the price, keep in mind that was with 119k, but if you keep your eye out on Autotrader, I frequently find that dealers post them up in this 12-14k range (and then I negotiate them down from there). They do go very fast, and there is also a LOT of garbage down there in that price range. It's very important to separate all the turds from what is *supposedly* good, but even then I feel it's a gamble with this type of vehicle known for reliability or electronic issues. I tend to go after the ones with less owner histories as I feel if they put it up with it for 9 or 10 years, it probably wasn't THAT bad. Service history where available of course.

On the VANOS, that tends to be of much less concern over there, and primarily results in noise. My last 2003 L322 had the startup rattle, as did my last TWO E38s. I've always just accepted this as a characteristic of the motor. On the E38 forum, the chains or tensioners falling apart was the bigger issue. So assuming I want someone to do this *FOR* me, what is the running rate to replace that tensioner, or the guides, or whatever it is that breaks?

·
Registered
510 Posts
those who raise the hoods like the BMW trucks, those who don't like the Jag trucks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those who raise the hoods like the BMW trucks, those who don't like the Jag trucks!
While I appreciate that tidbit of insight, it still doesn't answer the question I asked. What is the cost to replace the tensioner? I imagine accessibility to the motor is easier in the large engine bay of the RR, or I would just assume it's the same as the E38s. Not to mention most BMW mechanics won't touch these things with a 10 foot pole, even when you explain that it's virtually identical running gear in some aspects.

Frankly, the Jag trucks aren't worth 3-5 grand more to me for something I didn't necessarily want to begin with.

·
Registered
510 Posts
While I appreciate that tidbit of insight, it still doesn't answer the question I asked. What is the cost to replace the tensioner? I imagine accessibility to the motor is easier in the large engine bay of the RR, or I would just assume it's the same as the E38s. Not to mention most BMW mechanics won't touch these things with a 10 foot pole, even when you explain that it's virtually identical running gear in some aspects.

Frankly, the Jag trucks aren't worth 3-5 grand more to me for something I didn't necessarily want to begin with.
I told you how much the tensioner was in an earlier post. Please read it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I told you how much the tensioner was in an earlier post. Please read it.
I wasn't asking for the cost of the part. I was asking for the cost with labor.

Anyhow, that replacement seems simple enough even I could do it. That's still not what the E38 guys end up replacing. They end up doing the entire timing assembly at around 700.00 in parts or 3k+ in labor so I guess this needs to be done eventually regardless, except that the L322s are newer so they aren't having timing chain failures at the rate the E38 guys are. Of course, an entire motor is about the same price, so I guess I'll just try to stick with a lower mileage example and focus on other potential issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No one can give insight on what the labor charges may be. Two factors are at play here, time and shop cost. Both depends on your area and the technicians knowledge and availability to work on your vehicle.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wasn't asking for the cost of the part. I was asking for the cost with labor.

Anyhow, that replacement seems simple enough even I could do it. That's still not what the E38 guys end up replacing. They end up doing the entire timing assembly at around 700.00 in parts or 3k+ in labor so I guess this needs to be done eventually regardless, except that the L322s are newer so they aren't having timing chain failures at the rate the E38 guys are. Of course, an entire motor is about the same price, so I guess I'll just try to stick with a lower mileage example and focus on other potential issues.

Thanks.
I thought I also told you in that same post it took (me) about 10 minutes to replace. I would have thought you then would have figured about an hour of shop labor. I can't tell you exactly how much the shops in your area will charge. You will need to call your shops and get estimates. Also the $80 is about what I paid from Bav Auto, so I have no idea what the shop will charge you for the part with their markup, again, you will need to call the shops in your area.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No one can give insight on what the labor charges may be. Two factors are at play here, time and shop cost. Both depends on your area and the technicians knowledge and availability to work on your vehicle.
On any automotive forum I've ever been on, if there's a common enough problem most of the members at least know of a range for the repair. It's not like I asked for an exact amount. This information has been invaluable because I could then shop around for repair estimates and know when a price was completely out of whack.

The fact that no one here seems to have that info is at least a positive aspect from the standpoint that it's likely not all that common because, I presume, the trucks are not all that old enough yet. For example, it's common knowledge that a 5HP24 rebuild runs somewhere in the range of 2500-3k, because plenty of people have had it done. It's a fairly weak unit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In case anyone is wondering, here's what you'll see when the chain guides go bad on the M62. This is the primary problem with both the standard and TU variants. I guess it's just not occurring much if at all on the L322 yet. This is from a thread at bimmerforums. At this point you're better off just going through the entire timing set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts