RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As detailed in another thread, I've got a dead fuel pump. I took the tank out, and took the opportunity to make a fuel pump access hatch. I'm not the greatest of artisans, so you'll have to bear with the shoddy workmanship.

To begin, I removed the rear seat-belts, and all the carpeting etc.:

[attachment=4:nrlzzfwu]IMG_6349_copy.jpg[/attachment:nrlzzfwu]

Then, using my trusty metal saw, I started cutting

[attachment=3:nrlzzfwu]IMG_6352_copy.jpg[/attachment:nrlzzfwu]

A bit more work, and we've got 2 sides cut

[attachment=2:nrlzzfwu]IMG_6353_copy.jpg[/attachment:nrlzzfwu]

The liquid is WD40 I was spraying on the saw to make the job a little easier. A bit more sawing, and three sides are done:

[attachment=0:nrlzzfwu]IMG_6354_copy.jpg[/attachment:nrlzzfwu]

Victory! The hatch opens:

[attachment=1:nrlzzfwu]IMG_6355_copy.jpg[/attachment:nrlzzfwu]

It seems that 5 attachments is the max for a thread, so I'll continue to part 2:

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pre 1990 Fuel Pump Access Hatch (part2)

So once I'd got my 'lid' cut, I needed a way to stop it falling back through the hole: I bolted a few bits of metal to the grykes of the rear panel (if you don't know what clints and grykes are, I mean the lower part, yup bizzare analogy):

[attachment=2:3o5lfv5y]IMG_6356_copy.jpg[/attachment:3o5lfv5y]

Just to check it sits nicely in place before I put the tank back on:

[attachment=1:3o5lfv5y]IMG_6357_copy.jpg[/attachment:3o5lfv5y]

And then I put the tank back, and AMAZING! I can now get to the fuel pump without removing the fuel tank again

[attachment=0:3o5lfv5y]IMG_6358_copy.jpg[/attachment:3o5lfv5y]

All I need to do now is wait for my fuel pump to arrive, and maybe I'll have a running Range Rover again.

There are probably better ways of doing this, but this seems to work. I'll use sealant around the hatch. As is stands, the hatch just lifts out. I didn't bolt it down, as I'd then have no way of getting to the nuts (without dropping the tank again ) :lol:
I could have used some self-tapping screws, but I decided against it. If the sealant and the weight of the carpet/matting don't keep the hatch in place, and I find it lifts out, I can investigate ways of securing it.

James

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
My, what a stalwart fellow you are to do that job with that saw! I would use a power circular saw with a metal cutting blade. I don't think my wrists would stand for what you did! Neat solution to holding it in place.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice work. I can see your rear axle housing in one of your pics, looks pretty rust free. Looks as if you got a keeper there! My 92 parts rig is literally falling apart from rust, flintstone holes in the floor and the rockers are almost none existent, lol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it's not too bad.

In that same picture (IMG_6355_copy.jpg) there is a tube hanging, you can see it appearing on the lower right of the hatch. Anyone any idea what that is? :shock:

Also, I think there is a vent tube from the tank, that connects up to the filler assembly, then disappears up into the bodywork (rear paneling). As I'm getting a vacuum developing in the gas tank when nearing empty, I'm assuming this is blocked somehow.

Assuming this IS the vent tube, what's the best way to unblock this?
Thanks,
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts