RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents, as the title says...

I went out of town to visit wife's family, father drives us to airport in my P38, 2 weeks later, he picks us up in his car. I don't say anything, but about halfway to their house he brings up that something happened with the serpentine belt on my truck...

I pop the hood to find the pulley shroud rather torn up. And the belt is off and half way everywhere. The powersteering pulley has slid forward on the shaft and gone alittle cocked. I was able to tap the pulley back onto the shaft to the original rust line where it sat and it was no longer cocked. Rebelted her and start her up and watched the pulley slide forward a small fraction every minute. There is a hex bolt inside the center of the pulley 8.5mm I believe that I tightened up a touch (might just be my head), after retapping the pulley back flush. I again restarted the motor and the pulley did not seem to move forward off the shaft. I didn't want to trust driving it home until I know a little more about this.

Has anybody had this happen before? Is the pump done, I have read about the bearings failing and the pulley will then wobble but this seems to the eye to still spin true. Anybody know if that hex bolt inside the shaft is my problem/ solution/ anything?

Much appreciated... Scott

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Are there 3 bolts still holding the pulley to the shaft.. if not than thats your problem.

If the bolts are there and secure its time to replace pump, lots of good 2nd units around Im sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts