RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fluid leak in my Power steering pump. I got a new pump that is marked ANR2003

This pump is not similar to my old pump. Is it still possible to use this pump on my engine if i source the correct
brackets, pulley and hoses ?

It looks like it is difficult to find a new pump that is correct . I have one vendor that says he can get hold of if, but is is something like 1400 Euros

Old pump

20191004_135929.jpg

New pump :

20191004_135540.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
After a ton of searching, the original power steering pump is Land Rover part no. 610020
The only one I've found online is from Bearmach for $977:

On a few Defender forums I found out that earlier Defenders used the 610020 pump, but switched to the ANR2003 after a couple of years, so upgrading to the newer model should be fine. Also, stateside it's not uncommon for people to replace their Land Rover power steering pump with a GM unit.
If you end up keeping the newer pump, you'll need two mounting brackets:
#4 in photo: ERR798
#5 in photo: ETC6607

These fit the post-1985 3.5L V8's, not sure how different mounting to the pre-1985 engine would be

·
Registered
13 Posts
Elta, as info my '85 has the same PS pump and 3 bolt steering box as your old ones...is your fluid reservoir a metal "can"? Don't know if that style would be compatible with the newer pump. The new pump you have looks like the style on the '89 I used to have, it's reservoir was much smaller and made of plastic....

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 3 bolt steering box is equally hard to get (costly) compared to the later 4 bolt steering box which is much more common. I had a leaking 3 bolt steering box on my 83 (which has the same 'old style' pump) and was looking at changing it to a 4 bolt box, but after some research I found that the 4 bolt has a metric pipe couplings while the 3 bolt has imperial, so you had to make some custom hoses. In the end I replaced the seals on the box and kept it all original and it has been fine since.

The point is that I think the earlier steering pump has most likely imperial thread - like the 3 bolt steering box. So after you buy the new pump and all the brackets and the pulley to fit the pump you will need to make some custom hoses OR replace your steering box with a 4 bolt unit (and sell the 3 bolt box).

It is probably fairly easy to switch the whole system over with matching parts but can get costly unless you have a donor car somewhere you can pick for parts.

Did you look for a rebuild kit for the pump?

·
Registered
313 Posts
This manual

Gives an unusually good strip / repair / schematic of all the various steering boxes, pump etc fitted to that era of vehicles.

"Haynes #606" and would assist in working to repair these components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts