RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears bearing inside my PS pump have failed. It's causing the pulley to wobble instead of rotate smoothly. My question is 1. can those bearings be replaced or am I going to need a new pump? and 2. Has this ever happened to anyone? Being that this is the only car I have right now, Im really concerned about the safety issue of driving it until I can get it repaired.

All insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
1st I've ever heard (read) of going, I guess with abit of time and determination pump bearings could be replaced but you'll
find the housing and other related parts will be damaged as shaft not runing true, best grab a good 2nd hand unit from a breakers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
viperover said:
1st I've ever heard (read) of going, I guess with abit of time and determination pump bearings could be replaced but you'll
find the housing and other related parts will be damaged as shaft not runing true, best grab a good 2nd hand unit from a breakers.
Thanks for the reply, you're probably right bearings can be replaced with time and effort. But after finding they can be purchased used for under 200 I think Im a go that route.
thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Should have mentioned before in previous reply.
Be worth checking tensioner load as it may have been what caused pump to fail in the first place or it ran out of
power steering fluid, leak somewhere...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that at all. The belt isn't 6 months old. At first I thought it was a leak when I checked the reservoir I saw there was fluid in there. I started the truck to check and kept the top off to check fluid levels. With the truck running I saw the level drop as its being drawn into the system. There isnt a whine unless I turn the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts